“Great food, great location but very expensive”

Brasserie Baselstab Movenpick
Ranked #213 of 787 Restaurants in Basel
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Altstadt
Reviewed 30 August 2018

Located very centrally in Basels' Marktplatz this restaurant has a great view of the red Rathaus (Town Hall) and is next to a major tram stop so where ever you are in Basel it should be easy to find.
The staff are generally friendly (I did have one waiter who was a bit grumpy) and there is an option to site inside or on one of the many street tables. I initially opted for outside but it then began to rain and so I moved inside. May restaurants, including this one, seem to not have air conditioning so beware if the weather is hot.
I had a veal sausage with gravy and rosti with a dark beer followed by a lovely blackforest dessert and the food was very nice. However, as with most of Basel, it was very expensive (CHF48 August 2018) so if you are on a limited budget this may not be the restaurant for you. I ate here on my last day as a treat.

Management response:Responded 3 September 2018

Hi Barry

Thank you very much for your Feedback. Nice to hear you enjoyed your visit in our Restaurant.
Compared to other Restaurants in Basel are the Prices on average. Because of our central located restaurant are the rental prices higher than outside the center. Also we use only fresh products for cooking and support local suppliers for our dishes as much as we can. This is all is included in the price which makes it look expensive on the first sight.
Thank you for your understanding.
Hope to see you again in our Restaurant.
Best wishes,
your Mövenpick team

Reviewed 25 August 2018 via mobile

I used to visit this place for an ice cream but unfortunately never had food...

Good that I avoided it... Absolutely useless service staff .. took them 15 minutes to get me the menu card. Another 10 to take my order. Over and above the service lady had such an attitude that I was shocked...
So much for the "Swiss" quality :(

Bottomline - stay with the ice cream and get out ....

Management response:Responded 27 August 2018

Hi Vishal K

Thank you for your Feedback. We are very sorry to hear that you were not entirely satisfied with our staff. We make every effort to ensure that this won't happen again in the future. Our Manager is informed an will arrange some new Training sessions for our staff.
Hope to see you soon again in our Restaurant.
Your Mövenpick-team

Reviewed 15 August 2018 via mobile

We visit Mövenpick often and find their Brasserie pretty good.
This time we wanted a snack. So ordered fries, coke and ice cream.
Sadly, this time the fries were super dry as if fried thrice and oily. Plus they were tiny halves as if the end of a packet was dumped into oil. We could not eat more than a few.
I speak fluent German since I live in Basel and I informed the waitress that they were not "fein" as they normally are. She asked me why? And I answered as above. She said she would inform the kitchen, however when the bill came I was charged for the fries, with no response to my complaint.
So, I decided to take my super crispy, super oily fries with me.
Considering one pays 6.95 CHF for fries and not 3 bucks as in the McDonalds next door, one expects a certain service and deliverable. Sadly, was disappointed this time, and will have to think twice before I bring my overseas guests here for a Basel Experience.

Reviewed 12 August 2018 via mobile

We ordered the food and literally 30 seconds later one of the kids changed her mind about her food. We promptly let the waitress know and she changed the order

When the food arrived we had both the old and new items. We returned the old (more expensive) one before it even touched the table. 5 min later, the waitress came back and in broken English explained us that even though it was a mistake in the system but they had to charge us for both dishes. To compensate for the extra 16chf she offered to invite us to 3 coffees. We accepted as not to make a fuss. When the bill came we were charged for both the coffees and the expensive item but not for the cheaper one we actually ordered and ate. As to not fight over 5chf we let it slip but it was quite frustrating.

The kids menus (chicken nuggets and pasta with tomato sauce) were very nice, the salmon was extremely dry, saffron rice was very good and the Parma "pizza" (is not really a pizza but can remember the German name) was also nice.

Ice creams are really tasty

Service is unfriendly and slow

Location is also very nice, with a terrace for sunny days

Not sure I would recommend this place...

Management response:Responded 15 August 2018

Hi Lara
Thank you for your very detailed Feedback regarding the occured situation. We are very sorry hear that our Service did not act professional in this Situation. We are very sorry and we would like to apologize for this incident. Our Manager is informed and will arrange new training sessions for our staff so that we can prevent such situations from Happening again in the future. We would like to get in touch with you personally to discuss this.incident further. Please contact our Customer Service to get in touch: customerservice@marche-int.com
Best wishes,
Your Mövenpick team

Reviewed 10 July 2018

The Brasserie Baselstab used to be an excellent address in the heart of the city. Unfortunately for a while it did not meet expectations at all, but now quality and service is back. Ask for Pietro, if you want the charm of an Italian waiter ;-)

Date of visit: July 2018
1  Thank Christine W
Management response:Responded 6 August 2018

Hi Christine
Thank you for your great feedback. We are happy to hear that you are satisfied again with our quality and service.