“Near the Rhine, nice beer and wine”

Restaurant Hirscheneck
Ranked #131 of 788 Restaurants in Basel
Price range: US$13 - US$22
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Altstadt
Reviewed 24 May 2017

We're certainly trying out the 'locals' where we live, and we pass Hirschenck everyday, so it was an easy choice to drop in for a drink and a bite to eat.
First we had drink outside, while the sun was going down. There’s always a colorful mix of people sitting outside, and it’s a nice place to go after work. The beer’s good, not too expensive for Basel and friendly staff. From there it’s about 100 meters to the river Rhine so whether to end up here after a walk, or go to the Rhine after a meal, it’s a good location. From the tramstop at Wettsteinplatz it’s probably a 5 minute walk, or the same from the Mittlere brücke.
Inside there’s a bar area, where you can sit and eat, and there is a dining area, off the main area. Limited food choices, but multiple vegetarian dishes. We went there on a Wednesday, and the dining area was full, and had a nice vibe to it. We’ll come here again.

Date of visit: April 2017

Reviewed 9 October 2016 via mobile

This place is a art hangout , hipster place not far from the Rhein .
We were told about it on a boat ride across the Rhein .
There's no boss apparently and the staff were happy hippie types that share the business .
I had Penne Arabiata and had a generous portion
Price is somewhat cheaper than other restaurants in Basle and you can sit outside on a hot day . Still expensive though but cheaper for Basel .

Date of visit: October 2016
1  Thank JGFIELD
Reviewed 19 June 2016

I really like the Hirscheneck for a drink and its relaxed atmosphere but I have to say that the food was disappointing all times I gave it a try. I once had an innovative vegan dish during a Christmas party and recently tried a combo of soup and french fries. Apart from the salad that I had as starter with the vegan dish, all food was somewhat tasteless and the "innovative vegan dish" gave me (a non vegan and no big carb-eater) a really though time. I will come back but I won't order food again... I have never tried their pasta dishes...maybe that is a mistake. By the way, portions are huge!

Date of visit: June 2016
1  Thank Suzette030
Reviewed 16 June 2016 via mobile

Very local, hipster atmosphere. In the middle of our dinner, a wonderful flamenco dancer came in and gave a little show.
Very generous servings. Went there again for lunch the next day!

Date of visit: June 2016
Reviewed 2 December 2015

That´s what the people say...
But Hirscheneck also known to be a comfortable alternative restaurant with nice music and open minded people.
There you can drink a tee, or coffe, read some newspaper, have a lunch or dinner, vegan, vegetarian or with meat... At sundays there is a brunch from 10:00am to 3:00pm
At night, mostly weekends, there are concerts or parties at their legendary basement.

Date of visit: December 2015