“Great restaurant with great service”
Review of Il Cantinone

Il Cantinone
Ranked #54 of 885 Restaurants in Perugia
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 11 September 2017 via mobile

I ate here several nights and was glad to have found it. Good Umbrian food in a very old building close to the historic centre of Perugia. Lots of Italians eating there as well as visitors.
Starters included traditional local hams and cheeses, ricotta soufflé with onion marmalade and an aubergine stack. For mains, I had truffle ravioli one night, but also tried the wild boar with green olives and the chicken with hazelnuts on others. All were interesting and good. There is also a pizza menu, for anyone wanting a quick supper. I was sad that I never managed to make it to the sweets!
They do that great Italian thing where you drink as little or as much as you need from your choice of wine and then they charge by the glass. Perfect for the solo traveller, as was their lovely welcome and service.
And it was good value too, given the state of the pound.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,088)

Reviewed 7 September 2017

Tucked away in a lovely historic courtyard, the atmosphere in the outside dining area on a warm summers evening is hard to beat. The owner and his staff were extremely welcoming and the food was superb. Ticked every box for a lovely evening in this beautiful historic town. The restaurant was full of Italians in the night of our visit and we found out about it by asking the Italian owner of our hotel for the name of his favourite restaurant in Perugia!

Reviewed 5 September 2017 via mobile

Il Cantinone was a great little find on one of the quieter streets of perugia. Appitiser - the cheese soufle was beautiful and pastas for primi course. Service was exceptional - my Italian is poor but the waitress was fluent in English and very helpful. Caffe "on the house" was a nice conclusion to a good night out

Reviewed 29 August 2017

We ate in this well shaded restaurant with a relatively small outside eating area on 3 occasions on the initial recommendation of our apartment owner. Threw is a large inside space, but despite the extreme heat (40+) we were able to eat outside comfortably. As I think we often find, the first time was best, with two of the best pizza's me and my son have ever eaten and great wine, alongside great service. For one reason or another our next two visits did not quite match our first, with us trying various starters, mains and desserts which were mainly good and flavoursome. The service also did not quite match our first time when we were made to feel more welcome. The location is great and easy to find just off the main plaza. Despite the mixed experiences we would still recommend to others.

Reviewed 25 August 2017

We loved this place. It's tucked into a shady, quiet and beautiful spot near just off the piazza where the cathedral is so very central and you can eat inside or out. We turned up at 2.30pm for lunch (it was full earlier but they take reservations we learned) and Papa checked with Mama in the kitchen before he allowed us to sit. Clearly a man who knows not to push her too far! But she was up for it, and wow, Mama can cook.
We shared an amazing appetiser of a Pecorino souffle topped with caramelised onion marmalade which was sublime. Somehow I have to work out how to cook it myself... We had our own primi courses of pasta (mine an especially tasty clear ragu with pea sauce) and then shared a succulent veal stew. Our waitress spoke great English and took time with us. After that I had quite a 'food baby' as my daughter would say, and didn't need supper - which was ideal because we then took the late Ryanair flight back to Stansted and no item among the sparse offerings of grotty food at Perugia Airport or on the plane would have tempted me.
As a way to finish our holiday with one last really nice - but not overly expensive meal - this was perfect.