“Huge deception”

Taverna del Lupo
Ranked #23 of 138 Restaurants in Gubbio
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Private Dining, Reservations
Reviewed 5 July 2017

We came here because in our hotel package there was a voucher for a 3 course menu at this place, drinks not included. A breakdown of events:

-we arrived around 7pm when litterally only one table was taken at that point and were never even asked if we wanted to sit outside or inside, as opposed to guests who came in later. We were just told "you will sit inside, ok?".
-the lady brought us a sheet with our pre-assigned menu + wine list, for each course we had a choice between 2 meals. 15 seconds later, while we were still thinking what all words meant in Italian (we understand quite a bit & speak a little, but it takes a bit of time to digest all), she was back to put down our choices and pretty much assumed what we were going to eat. When I asked for a glass of red wine, she didn't even ask my wife if anything for her and just assumed the bottle of water, which I had ask first, was for her. She just turned away quickly in a hurry for I have no idea what since there was still only one other table taken at that point. I never even had a chance to look at the wine list.
-30 seconds later she came back with the bottle of water & the glass of wine. Just finishing filling my wife's glass of water, she noticed the glass was a bit dirty & took it away to replace it. All good, but she never even realized with this, she also threw away about 1/4 of the bottle of water we paid for, never suggesting to replace it.
-after just about finishing our appetizers, parts still in our mouth, she was there to take them away & already had the first course with her. Same for the main course. Same for the dessert. Which resulted that we finished a for us nice, quiet evening dinner in litterally just over an hour. Ridiculous. At the end, the place still wasn't even half full, so it's not that they needed tables free. And even then, you shouldn't do this.
-after asking how much to pay for in Italian, the lady showed us eight fingers, pretty much shouting EIGHT in English, like we were some kids just learning to talk. I speak 6 languages & have never in any country, nor anywhere else in Italy, been treated like this.
-the so called mille feuille for dessert was a ridiculous attempt to it and looked more like the plate fell on the ground in the kitchen & they just tried to put it back on it & just served it like that.

As much as I always try to be positive and enjoy the moment and see the positive side of things, here that was just impossible. Was it because we had a voucher? I don't know. But we have never at any restaurant in the world felt so unwelcome & rushed out as here.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,677)

Reviewed 18 May 2017 via mobile

Very pleasant place. For my taste a bit too stiffy but my preferences are trattoria. Food delicious and not exactly traditional. Very nice waiter, don't know the name though. :)

Reviewed 2 May 2017 via mobile

Very elegant and beautiful restaurant. Local food!
We took one of the menus that they suggest, and a very special wine. Food was very good but it was difficult to reach the end of the servings.
Personnel was elegant and gentle, definitely up to the restaurant's status.

1  Thank Olga B
Reviewed 26 April 2017 via mobile

Fabulous take on Umbrian cuisine. Highly professional staff. Well worth the cost. We ordered three dishes and they brought us five. Cozy, well decorated interior.

Reviewed 18 April 2017

This restaurant is owned by the same family as own the Hotel Busone and meals are taken there.It is a short downhill walk from the Hotel Busone
The food and wine were excellent and the wine was high quality and inexpensive