“Three hour tour of Siena”

Stella Soldani Siena day tour guide
2 hour tour of Magic Siena with Stella
Ranked #17 of 57 Tours in Siena
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: If you wish to visit Siena and Tuscany with a local fully licenced tourist guide I am very pleased to share my experience and passion with you, I am living in a unique medieval town and in a charming wine region, enjoy!
Reviewed 21 August 2017

We used Stella for a tour of Siena, with a focus on the history of Jewish life and the synagogue. Before I left for Italy friends told me that I did not need a tour guide, that I could see the synagogue on my own with a guide provided at the synagogue. They were right. The guide at the synagogue was knowledgeable and spend a lot of time with us. Stella was not really necessary. As I thought about our time with her, I realize that we paid a lot of money for a three hour tour, at least an hour of which was in the synagogue. I would have preferred if she would have let us know in advance that she was not needed for the synagogue, only for the rest of Siena. I feel like we got cheated out of learning about this wonderful place because first, we did not have enough time to see much, and second, because she used some of our remaining time to visit two places for the sole purpose of encouraging us to buy things. After leaving Siena I visited two other towns in Tuscany where I used tour guides who were much better. They gave us a full sense of the towns we were visiting, used our time wisely, and never brought us into any stores for the purpose of making a commission. I think Stella probably has the capacity to be a good guide- she is knowledgeable and energetic and lovely to deal with, but we just felt that we did not get full value for our investment.

Date of experience: August 2017
Review collected in partnership with this attraction
stellasoldani, Owner at Stella Soldani Siena day tour guide, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2017

dear A.,
I am sorry to hear that in your opinion I was not needed! probably this is what you and your husband and brother experienced but the time we spent in the synagogue was half an hour, and part of it is dedicated to making tickets and introducing the comunity of siena and coommenting on the history of the town with the museum guide over events that occured in that district that is also the district where my family once lived.
Morover the synagogue was open only for us because I prebooked the visit on a tuesday that is normally not open as you asked me to do....so without a guide you would find it closed! after the visit in the jewish former ghetto we visited all the hilighlights of siena as you asked me to do, the Piazza del campo, il Duomo, the Basilica San Domenico, I do not know which are the stores to make a commission!!! I am very disappointed by hearing this, me just like all the siena guides are working very hard to offer the best of a tour in the city where we live since when we were young, and you can read also from the others reviews written before your one....

All reviews
in 8 reviews
"insider"
in 2 reviews

Reviewed 7 August 2017

We had an excellent tour with Alessia. She did a wonderful job explaining Siena's history (particularly its 17 neighborhoods and the Palio) to my family and children. She was great with my kids. She was born in Siena and we felt like we were with an insider. She took us to her favorite pizza and gelato places.

1  Thank BigcountryNewYork
Reviewed 2 August 2017

Stella was so easy to contact and coordinate our tour with. The tour itself was very informative and interesting. Stella was engaging and friendly. She took us to the main sites as well as a couple of smaller sites that we probably would have missed on our own.

Reviewed 11 July 2017 via mobile

We have taken "family friendly" walking tours in Venice, Florence and now Siena, on this trip. Stella was by far the best. She made it engaging for the kids (6, 10, 11 & 13). She took us to a secret lookout and an Etruscan ruin, had locals show us how to make local crafts and desserts. Her knowledge of the city, its history, and art were compelling and fascinating. Starting with her warm and friendly welcome, this tour was the highlight of our trip. The only possible improvement would be a kid friendly restaurant recommendation at the end for lunch.