“Modern Hotel | Good Location | Excellent Breakfast Buffet”
Review of NH Siena

NH Siena
Ranked #17 of 40 Hotels in Siena
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 2 July 2015

My friend and I were pleased to have stayed at the NH Excelsior during our two night visit to Siena. This hotel was modern, well appointed, and conveniently located. All the main attractions were a fairly short walk away, and the hotel was directly across the street from the bus stop – making traveling to/from Siena a breeze. The hotel staff was friendly, helpful, and spoke fluent English. The breakfast buffet, included in our room rate, was excellent! It offered a large variety of hot and cold food items, along with many beverage options. My friend and I both agreed that we definitely will consider staying at the NH Excelsior again when we return to Siena.

Positive attributes about this property you should consider before booking this hotel:
1. Modern well appointed hotel. The main hotel entrance was nicely decorated.
2. Good location. Fairly close to main attractions. Directly across the street from the bus stop.
3. We were pleasantly greeted by helpful and cheerful English speaking hotel staff upon arrival, check-in, during our stay, and at check-out.
4. Breakfast was included in our room rate; which offered a large variety of hot and cold food items, along with many beverage options.
5. The room included an individual air conditioning/heating control. Alternatively, if you preferred fresh air, the window partially opened, but it did not include a screen.
6. As with most European accommodations, a bidet was standard.
7. The shower contained an eco-friendly shower head.
8. A hairdryer was included in the washroom; which conveniently was used to de-fog the steamed up washroom mirror.
9. The washroom included a makeup mirror.
10. Both of us enjoyed the complimentary body wash, shampoo, and conditioner.
11. The room included a medium size flat screen TV, which sat on one corner of the room’s desk.
12. A desk and chair were available for working. However, the TV occupied a portion of the desk space.
13. Both of us agreed our room was peaceful and quiet.
14. The mattress, pillows, and linens were comfortable and modern.
15. Someone on the hotel staff was thinking when they added Velcro around the outer edges of the window curtains to secure them to the wall. This improvement helped keep light out; particularly for light sensitive guests. Kudos to the hotel staff for this added touch!
16. An in-room safe was available to store your valuables. It was uniquely secured/programmed using your credit or debit card’s magnetic strip. I recommend you bring a credit or debit card with you to activate the in-room safe!
17. The room contained a small refrigerator/mini bar.
18. The guest room key was required to turn on the lights and power outlets; which was a nice energy saving feature.
19. WiFi was complimentary. However, both of us experienced intermittent problems accessing the internet when relaxing in our room.
20. The elevators are extremely quiet and modern.
21. A small gym was available for guest use.
22. The hotel had conference rooms (I assume for rent/hire/an additional fee); perhaps they were available for weddings, celebrations, conferences, business meetings, etc.

Unfavorable attributes about this property you should consider before booking this hotel:
1. Individuals with more demanding physical limitations, I recommend you contact the hotel to ensure the staff can accommodate your needs prior to booking. For example, I believe the hotel might accommodate wheelchairs. I realize this hotel is located in Europe, and United States law is not applicable. However, I am fairly confident the door handles throughout the hotel, including access to guest rooms, were not compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA); as their shape was round. Although such a small detail may not appear to matter, round door handles can provide an entry barrier for some guests with physical limitations; as they are not easily grasped or turned.
2. For such a modern hotel, I was surprised to discover the washroom did not have adequate ventilation and/or an exhaust fan to remove steam and odors. Consequently, the washroom mirror steamed up. We resorted to using the washroom hair dryer to de-fog the mirror.
3. The surface of the bathtub/shower combo was slippery, and did not contain a non-slip shower mat or other non-slip liner.
4. As with many European designed bathtub/shower combinations, the elevation of the bathtub was much higher than the traditional American standard. I felt that I needed a step stool to enter and exit the bathtub, and I was particularly concerned about falling because of the slippery surface.
5. When the toilet was flushed, using either the full or partial flush mode, it consistently left toilet paper remnants in the bowl.
6. The washroom had very little counter space to store multiple toiletry bags.
7. Our room had an abundance of lighting options. In fact, we occasionally felt the lighting was a bit too intense.

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,566)

Reviewed 29 June 2015

I stayed at this hotel few times on business trip. The rooms are comfortable, the location is excellent and the breakfast quite ok (in particular the freshly baked cakes). Check in procedures were smooth. Please note that being right in the city center parking is an issue and you should be prepared to either park far from the hotel or pay.

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled on business
1  Thank Carl_one86
Reviewed 20 June 2015

We stayed here one night on our tour of Italy. We chose this over a boutique hotel due to the location. We could walk to dinner and all of the sights. We did not have a car so I can't comment on the parking. The staff held our luggage that was dropped by our bike guides earlier in the day. There were some issues with check in due to a new system but it really wasn't a long wait. The rooms were large, cool and comfortable. This was the only chain we stayed in the whole trip but it was still a great hotel. The breakfast was great. We had no issues with the staff. One of our group could not get the wifi to work and the IT specialist and a manager worked to help him get connected. He was even offered to log into a hotel computer if he needed to check email. We had an excellent experience unlike other reviews. The location was perfect for walking to all the sites. The beds were HUGE and the rooms were very clean.

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 June 2015 via mobile

We had this hotel booked. We had arrived to our destination which was the hotel there was literally no parking or car parks that I would trust with my car without it being crashed into or scratched. The place was absolutely hectic, people walking out in front of my car left, right and centre no matter how fast I was going. Fair enough there was a market on so it was even busier than expected. But still, that's no excuse for the total lack of parking for the hotel. We had a lot of heavy luggage, the car park that they wanted us to park in we couldn't even find but they said it was a five minute walk and that's just not what you need when you have a lot of luggage. We ended up driving around the whole area which is like a big circle, a lap around the place about ten times. They weren't specific. It's ok for them saying all of these different directions and instructions, they live there most likely and work in the area at least. We have never been before. It was like LA traffic and there where cars pulling out in front of me from where they where parked at the side of the road with no warning, no indication, nothing. At one point I had to beep and swerve or my car would have been a wreck. We pulled in front of the hotel where a few more cars where parked, the people where most likely at the reception desk. I waited in the car while my friend ran in to ask further directions on the whereabouts of the car park and then next thing a large bus was behind me trying to bully it's way into my place. I seen no signs what so ever saying it was reserved for busses, plenty of other cars where parked there but of course he told me to move forward or leave the area. There was no possible way I could move forward as there was extremely limited space and I told him there was no way I was moving because my friend is inside the building and we would have ended up getting separated which would have caused a whole other stressful situation. Two employees came out and told me I'm going to have to move the bus has to be there so they took our luggage inside. We got back in the car and looked for the car park again. Still no success and almost having my car wrote off twenty times later, we returned to the hotel. I asked for a refund. The staff, well some where ok. One was just on their phone, doing what, playing games, I don't know but I do know we where getting dirty looks from them. We felt very awkward, they didn't make
it easy for us at all. Maybe on a day the place is completely empty and the day a golf kart hire shop opens to get your luggage actually to the hotel...it would be ok. Who knows.

Stayed: June 2015
1  Thank poetmorose
Reviewed 15 June 2015

30 minutes to check in due to "upgrade" to new system... After waiting for so long door wouldn't open and I had to come downstairs TWICE from the fourth floor. Horrible welcome to Siena after long hours travelling!

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Travelclub.es
2  Thank Y3361CPjavierm