“Delicious local fare at reasonable prices”

Osteria Boccon del Prete
Ranked #39 of 585 Restaurants in Siena
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 23 August 2018

A friend of ours from Siena recommended that we eat here when in town. It's one of his favorite restaurants.

Service is friendly and attentive, and English is spoken. We arrived shortly after doors opened for lunch, so we managed to get a table without reservations.

Our family of 2 adults and 2 young kids ordered a large mixed salad, three "Primi" (ravioli, casareci, tagliatelle), and three "Secondi" (sirloin slices and pork filet) - the portions were generous and everything was delicious!

Wine is available by the glass or by the bottle only, but it's no hardship to finish a bottle of wine over a leisurely lunch.

We can see why this place is popular with locals and tourists alike. Keep up the good work!

Date of visit: August 2018
Write a ReviewReviews (1,869)

Reviewed 19 August 2018 via mobile

This place is in the middle of the heart of Siena. Food is fantastic. They give their touch to the traditional tuscan dishes.

Date of visit: August 2018
1  Thank antozas
Reviewed 2 August 2018 via mobile

I makes me extremely sad when service ruins it for the hard work of the kitchen team. I was well recommended to eat here and so I went for lunch. Placed my order with a waiter who insisted on speaking English to me while I spoke Italian to him (?), I then requested some olive oil to eat with the bread that was provided. My request was denied by the owner who told me if I wanted olive oil, I had to order a portion of bruschetta then continued pushing it even after I told him it would be too much food for one person, clearly trying to make an extra buck. Hey, this is Tuscany, and olive oil is by no means a rare delicacy here, so why the hell not? The food eventually arrived and it was good (by far not the best I’ve tasted in Siena, but ok and cheap). While paying the check I did mention I had enjoyed the food however was disappointed with service, the owner then proceeded to defend his point again as if on playback from minutes before, then laughed loudly as I walked out. Nowhere in my entire month in Siena have I come across such stingy and rude service.

Date of visit: July 2018
1  Thank Juliana L
Reviewed 12 July 2018

We had a restaurant in mind for our first lunch in Siena but it was booked so our hotel recommended Boccon del Prete. They said it was a local favorite and the best restaurant in Siena. I think they might be right. We had a plate of regional cured meats, a grilled artichoke appetizer with a wonderful tomato paste and gorgonzola cheese. And the pasta course was pici with sage and lemon. It was all absolutely wonderful and I hope to go again one day.

Date of visit: July 2018
1  Thank Kathy L
Reviewed 27 June 2018 via mobile

We had a marvellous meal at Boccon del Prete this evening. The service was welcoming and efficient. As starters we ate a special of the day - pasta with tomatoes and pancetta which was delicious and very tasty aubergine stuffed with cheese on a tomato bread base. We took the house recommendation of chianti classico which at 20 euros was exceptional value and very drinkable indeed. For main courses we ate the carpaccio of smoked swordfish special of the day which was outstanding. A really enjoyable evening in a Siena restaurant full of locals and very good value.

Date of visit: June 2018