“Ok hotel, paying for the location”

Hotel Relais dell'Orologio
Ranked #28 of 68 Hotels in Pisa
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Ok hotel, paying for the location”
Reviewed 31 March 2012

I wouldn't classify this as a small luxury hotel of the world and once we arrived we were a bit astounded that it had that label. The room wasn't the largest room in the world, but okay if you were a couple. unfortunately my friend and I were not. There's not a lot of furniture in the rooms, but what they had selected didn't seem to be functional or selected with a great deal of thought.
The bathroom was beautiful and a really great shower.

generally temperature inside the rooms was stuffy, and despite dropping the temperature the system stubbornly kept at 26 degrees. It then decided to kick in and recyle air around one am (given that we hadn't touched the controls) which totally wrecked my night's sleep. Reception's comment the next morning was to have phoned them. At one am. Whilst my friend was asleep.

Breakfast was very poor, and incredbly bad service from the wait staff. I'm still waiting for the hot water I requested.
It wasn't a bad hotel just seemed to be pretending to be something it wasn't.

But this all was compensated for by seeing the Leaning Tower and the Piazza dei miracoli. It's two minutes away and from the moment the tower first looms over the roof tops there's a smile on your face. It's just incredible and I'm so pleased I saw it and climbed it. As for the rest of the town, we didn't like Pisa at all as a place to walk around, as we were hassled just in the early evening. Really you are better doing Pisa as just a day trip or if you have an early flight.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Finnish first
Apollo Beach, Florida
Reviewed 12 December 2011

We have always wanted to see the Leaning Tower of Pisa so on this last trip to Italy we made it a stop and stayed in this hotel. The location was around the corner from the tower so for us was a great choice. The room we had however was the smallest room I think we have ever stayed in, but very clean. The bathroom was upgraded but the shower was small. The staff was wonderful and very helpful. The breakfast was not that good. The selection was limited, the eggs cold and they were using canned fruit. It is very difficult to find the hotel if you are driving your own car. There are lots of one way and narrow streets in order to find this hotel. Once we arrived the staff was helpful in finding a spot to park on the street outside the hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Judy M
Katy, Texas
Reviewed 21 November 2011

This is a great hotel with a fabulous location. We were upgraded to a nicer room for our anniversary which was very nice but it was May and rainy so it was a little hot and humid. The AC was not working so it was extremely hot. When we opened the windows all the mosquitos got in so we quickly closed the window. It seems like this is an issue at this hotel. Besides that the location to everything is great. It is very nice to wander around the tower at night when all the day trippers leave. It is very peaceful.

Room Tip: The rooms are very small at this hotel so try and get a larger one. We were on the top floor and th...
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 November 2011

Stayed in this property whil attending a conference and I think I found the best hotel in Pisa. The room was beautifully decorated with a magnificient view of the city. The bathroom (with very old wood beams) was very nice. The breakfast is awesome with (even) caviar in the buffe. I do boldly recommend this place.

Room Tip: Top floors
  • Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Cristian C
Paris, France
Reviewed 11 November 2011

I was planning a romantic weekend with my new husband in Pisa and so I booked a room with the Hotel Relais dell'Orologio directly through their website. After receiving email confirmation and pre-paying for the room, the hotel dissappoined me a month later by sending an email informng me that they re-booked me and my husband at their partner hotel, Hotel Abitalia Tower Plaza, which is a souless edifice far from Pisa's center. I read tripadvisor reviews that warned of similar treatment, and I now remain thoroughly suspicious of their business practices. I am relieved that they gave me a few weeks warning so I can make alternative accomodations but I warn others that a similar probelm might occur.

Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank unastorica

Travellers are raving about these Pisa hotels