New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #20 of 68 Hotels in Pisa
Canberra Aust
“A Step Back in Time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2011

We spent four nights at the Royal Victoria in October. Provided you have done your research and understand that you are not booking into the Marriot, the Royal Victoria is a real find. It is a relic from the nineteenth century, full of the most fascinating furniture, pictures and artifacts. Take the time to explore the hotel - it is a treasure trove of Italian history. Our courtyard room (which I suspect was the cheapest category) was large and spartan but with a comfortable bed. Even allowing for European bathrooms being small, ours was the smallest I have ever seen. We had to shower with hands almost by our sides as otherwise our elbows hit the wall. It is possible that higher grade rooms had larger showers. The hotel's location was first class: on the river, a short walk to the shopping area and a few minutes further on to the railway station, and about ten minutes' walk to the tower. Apart from arrival and departure taxis, we covered everything by foot. As the hotel is located next door to the university, there are plenty of reasonably-priced places to eat. One real find, with possibly the best food of the trip, was Turiddo which was only a street or so from the hotel and is situated across the road from the university's law faculty. On coming out of the hotel, turn right and then right again at the first cross street. The restaurant is about a block down on the right. I would recommend the Royal Victoria, but given the bathrooms, perhaps for something less than four nights.

Room Tip: Go for something better than the courtyard room if it is available. If not available, take the cour...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ROHCanberraAust

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Switzerland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2011

This is the most unpleasant hotel I have ever stayed in - I shared my bed and bathroom with bedbugs - and was not told the truth by the hotel personnel when I complained: they told me that they had never had such a problem before (I have since learned that this is definitely not correct).
The hotel may once have been splendid, but I found it now to be dusty and neglected: the public areas crammed with artificial flowers which didn't look as if they been cleaned for years, the rooms shabby - necessary repairs to the furniture not made, and all in need of a lick of paint.
The plumbing in my room was in a sorry state: by the time I had finished my (very quick) shower (in the bath) I was standing almost to my knees in water which slowly drained away at dripping pace.
I will remember my short stay in Pisa for all the wrong reasons!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank BenNevis1

Travellers are raving about these Pisa hotels

Atlanta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2011

We flew to Pisa overnight from the US, and stayed here one night. It is an elegant, well-appointed, clean historic hotel. The staff was wonderful and spoke perfect English. The breakfast was excellent!
This was the perfect way for us to see Pisa, and shake off the jet lag in a wonderful hotel right on the Arno River.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2011

The staff were really friendly, they upgraded us to a room with an en-suite for free and then helped us work out to get around the town. The check out was late too which was amazing.

The hotel is really central and perfect to get around the town, walkable to everywhere.

The breakfast was ideal and the room was so clean. I honestly couldn't find fault with this hotel.

Room Tip: We asked for a twin room with a shared bathroom but instead got an en-suite :)
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2011

This was my second visit to Pisa but my first stay. I chose to stay at Pisa due to the proximity to Cinque Terre.
The hotel is walking distance to the train and is well situated which was an advantage for my visit to Cinque Terre.
The hotel building is quaint, extremely old but also very endearing. The single room was basic and clean and on arrival I needed to 'air' the room.
The share bathroom was on the next level up and a bit of a walk from my hotel room.
I had quite some trouble with the old keys for the room and gaining access sometimes took up to 10 minutes jiggling with the keys and the door. The lock often seemed jammed and I had to get the staff to assist gaining access to my room on arrival.
I was in a side room which faced a wall. At night time it was extremely noisy and nearby there were activities well into early hours. Even with the windows closed, my attempts to block out the noise was not possible. Early each morning street and close by venue cleaning was noisy and so I had little sleep during my stay.
The breakfast buffet was beautiful and the food was fresh with a large variety available which was extremely enjoyable.
The hotel staff were polite but not overly helpful. Internet access is only in the foyer and is not free.
The central location and breakfasts were the positives however the bathroom location, noisiness and problems with keys were disappointing.

• Stayed September 2011