All reviewsold townsmall poolmodern hotelminute walkpool areawalled cityreasonable sizehot and cold foodexcellent showerplenty of free parkingstar hotelhire bikesexcellent hotelbreakfast was includednice bathroomstayed for two nightsnice stay
Reviewed 10 May 2018 via mobile

Arrived late at night, friendly met an super nice receptionist who opend the bar for us at night. Nice modern rooms, smaal details, door knob, Bath knob, lamps, etc makes this hotel a great expirience. Delicious Breakfast and super service from the waiters gives you a good start of the day, just walking dictance outside Lucca. I would love to stay here again

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank TrysilKnutsen
HotelSanMarcoLu, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Hotel San Marco, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2018

And we would love to meet you soon again at Hotel San Marco!
Thank you for your "super" kind review!
Marketing & Communication

Reviewed 1 May 2018

Just returned from a seven night stay. The hotel Managers were definitely some of the best we have come across and were extremely helpful taking time to give good advice on places to visit and eating establishments.

Stayed in the annex with spacious balcony which fortunately had the afternoon and evening sun and very comfortable chairs. There is also a garden to use as well as the outside facilities in the main building. Very comfortable air-conditioned room and the bathroom was spacious with an excellent shower. Soap and shampoo provided but no body wash or body lotion as we have come to expect from other hotels. Unfortunately as has already been pointed out there is no tea/coffee making facilities in the room, definitely a disadvantage especially as you need to go into the hotel to get a cup of tea and for which you will be charged 3€. Would certainly be an idea to place notices in the annex reminding other guests when returning late at night to be respectful of others and keep their voices down. Maybe we were just unlucky!

The walled city of Lucca is an extremely interesting place and definitely recommend visiting this area but be aware it is very busy at weekends. There is a good transport network for exploring the surrounding area such as Cinque Terre, Florence, Viareggio, Pisa, and on the suggestion of one of the Managers, Montecatini where we took the funicular to Montecatini Alto, a great little hilltop village.

Room Tip: If you want a balcony you will need to choose a room in the annex for which we had to pay a supplement and happy to do so.
Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
HotelSanMarcoLu, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Hotel San Marco, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2018

Dear Guest,
we appreciate so much your detailed review and advices.
There are things that we can improve (e.g. body lotion for guests) but unfortunately we can't do anything to avoid impolite behaviours of impolite people.
We hope next time will go better!
Come back and visit us again,
Division Marketing and Communication

Reviewed 1 December 2017 via mobile

A colleague recommended staying here for a recent business trip. Although, I didn't spend a lot of time in the room, I enjoyed my stay very much. The staff was very pleasant and helpful (even helped with translations). The accomedations were very cozy and fit the ambience of the Lucca area. I would certainly stay again.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled on business
HotelSanMarcoLu, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Hotel San Marco, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2017

Dear Guest,
thank you for your feedback.
We hope you can come back again soon,
Division Marketing and Communication

Reviewed 1 November 2017

Although they were booked out due to a Rolling Stones Concert, the Manager was extremely helpful getting us accommodation when we were stranded at night. He allowed us to use the internet, did a booking for us as our Italian is limited and pointed us in the right direction. Very impressed. Would stay there next time.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank kiwimary
HotelSanMarcoLu, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Hotel San Marco, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2017

Dear Guest,
thank you for you're kind feed back... so, we are waiting for you next time you'll be in Lucca!
Best regards,
Dep. Marketing and Communication

Reviewed 30 October 2017

Okay, I will be one of the first to admit that I prefer 4 star and 5 star hotels but a friend of mine had recommended this hotel so I decided to give it a go, with an open mind. It started with the towels - we had two of them and the two of us shower twice a day. Arranging a second towel was a bit of a challenge but the hotel was nice about it.

Breakfast was included in the rate but we never quite made it there in time. One evening I asked one of the staff members if I could have one or two cookies from the breakfast buffet table and was given permission to help myself. That person left as I was taking the cookies and in entered another staff member who began to scold me for having taken two cookies! Two cookies!!!!!????? Now this is stupid, for when a customer like me comes to a hotel like this he wants to be treated well and to feel good and being scolded for taking a cookie that I was given permission to enjoy was not a professional decision. I know it sounds silly but I think it is human nature to be wanted to be treated well.

The bed was of medium comfort but the pillows were crap. We managed to change them and got decent pillows.

We could often hear the couple rooming above us so the sound insulation was poor.

Now, here's the frustrating part - while my partner and I are making love the staff enter the room!!! Yes, without knocking and without the hotel having any system to advise the staff to give the guests their privacy. Not only was this unprofessional it was obviously very uncomfortable.

Would I stay at this hotel again? No. Should you? That's up to you. I think they've been in business long enough to have already addressed similar issues. Hopefully they will improve upon these transgressions anyway.

If you found this review of help then please indicate so by clicking the appropriate link. Thank you and happy travels.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple