“A God Send. Stay HERE”
Review of Hotel Hermes

Hotel Hermes
Ranked #344 of 411 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 2 June 2009

How do I start...I suppose from the beginning. My boss gave me the hotels phone number. I have worked in Italy for the last 3 years and my time was about up. My adult daughter, her roommate and my best friend were coming and we had never been to Tuscany. This was my last hurrah and I wanted it to be perfect. I emailed Patricia and explained to her that I wanted to stay 4 nights for 5 people (mind you that this is last minute too). I told her that I wanted to see Florence, go to the museums, see a small opera and take a tour that included Montepulciano (they are filming New Moon there and my daughter wanted to see it). Wow, let me tell you...Patricia made reservations for the Ufficia and the Acadamia (a MUST to avoid lines), made reservations for an opera (one lady and a piano in a small church - very nice) and set us up with a day tour that took us to Pienza, Siena, San Giamani, Montepulciano and included a stop for wine tasting too (the tour was a bit much for one day. They have tours that split that up and I suggest that if time allows). From the moment we arrived, I fell for Patricia. She broke out a map and hand drew a walking tour for us, greated us all with graciousness and was so very kind.
Remember I said I made last minute reservations? Well, she had to juggle things and we moved rooms in the middle to make it work. She could have just told me she was booked but she didn't. She went the extra mile for us. I have read all the reviews....and yes the hotel is older. No, it does not have an elevator and yes...the rooms are lofty. So what. If I told you what I paid for 5 people for 4 nights in Florence you would choke on your coffee (I won't say exactly but I can tell you it would have only got me 2 nights anywhere else). But it is not just Patricia and her being a grand, loving, host, it is her whole staff. All of them were so very good to us. When I left I gave her a hug and almost got teary eyed (tough words for an old GI). When I come back to Italy for a vacation, to see all my friends, I will go to Patricia and spend a few nights. It will be like returning to family. The fact that it is near the train station and that there is pay garage next to the hotel made it perfect. I parked the rental van for 4 days and never moved it. You can walk to just about anywhere and when dress is elegant, a taxi is cheap. I highly reccomend you stay with my new friend. Don't go in expecting a 5 star hotel. Go in expecting a 2 star hotel with 5 star tender, loving care. I will take that any day. Thanks Patricia, we will miss you!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Hotel Hermes

Reviewed 25 May 2009

Patricia, the small hotel owner, is delightful, multilingual and most helpful with
tips for Florence travel. Ask for a room facing the inner courtyard. Enjoy the delicious and generous capuccino with the included breakfast.
You are in for a treat in the way of caring staff, clean and pleasant accomodations in a small hotel within walking distance of everything in Florence. A real gem and real deal! Unbeatable hospitality.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 April 2009

I traveled to Florence with a group of 14 high school students. We were warmly welcomed and well cared for. Patricia and her staff saved us an incredible amount of time and energy by helping us with planning our tours of museums and churches. The hotel is located with great access to a market, an ATM, and a pastry shop. Patricia knows Florence and can give great advice about resteraunts and myriad other things. You have only to ask. This place is a gem. it is clean, safe, and wonderful. I would go back in a second - maybe without the 14 high school students, as wonderful as they were...

1  Thank ldecampc
Reviewed 20 April 2009

I traveled to Florence on a school trip with 13 other students and two teachers. We didn't need a fancy, five-star hotel because we were seeing sites every day. However, Hotel Hermes was the perfect place for us! The staff was extremely kind, helpful, and generous, greeting us with a friendly smile whenever we saw them! True, there were a few language boundaries where we had difficulty finding out when mass started, but we made the best of it and laughed about it later! Overall, it was an amazing experience and when I go back to Florence, Hotel Hermes is where I'll stay!

1  Thank Fl0rencel0ver
Reviewed 18 April 2009

I had the good fortune of staying at Hermes this summer past. There I met and befriended Patricia, the owner. As so many reviews state, she is a world class proprietor, serving her clientele in a first class way. Her staff is most helpful, and the hotel, conveniently located to everything Florence, is clean and secure. Financially, Patricia offers very agreeable rates, and I was able to spend yet again 8 days in Florence at a very reasonable rate; this allowed me to spend money in and on other areas in Florence. You don't stay in Hermes for 5 star accommodations; you stay there because it is clean, convenient, and professionally managed. If you want matching decor and "prints" on the walls and thematic designs in the room, pay the extra euro and find THAT hotel. If you want clean, simple and convenient, then I cannot recommend Hotel Hermes enough. It was great the first time. It was even better the second.