“Wonderful location and a most helpful manager.”
Review of Hotel Aldobrandini

and 1 more site!
Hotel Aldobrandini
Ranked #242 of 409 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 11 August 2011

We found the hotel hard to find, but once we knew where it was we thought the location was great. A larger and more obvious sign would help a lot. Based on the location, price (for lodging in Florence) and how helpful the manager was I consider this place a great value. I recommend it for the bargain hunter.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank marvinhyde

Reviewed 4 August 2011

Everything that I like in hotel! Very very warm and helpful staff! Prices are good, location couldn't be better and the building the hotel is in is amazing!
Not much to say except that I would go back there if I'm any time back in Florence!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank ctgalrem
Reviewed 22 June 2011

This isn't a bad hotel, but we did encounter a few issues with our overnight stay. It's easy enough to find, directly across from the Medici Chapel. Large, imposing wooden doors shield its stone interior; the doors creak open, quite creepily, as you buzz to get in. You have to climb a few flights of stairs in the dimly lit building to get to the lobby (there's a well-concealed elevator but we didn't try it). Aldo himself greets you at the front desk. He's friendly and bursting with conversation - which is welcoming, but maybe overwhelming for two college-aged girls who had been searching for an open room for more than an hour after a previous reservation fell through.

He said, for the night, we would be charged 65 euros (standard double room). Sure, fine. I bring down the money and go back upstairs. My friend tells me she can't get the air conditioner to turn on so I head back downstairs to ask Aldo for help. Before I can speak, he interjects - saying I handed him 55 euros and not 65 euros. Impossible - my friend and I had each counted our money. We had a specific amount left in our wallets after paying for the room. But no, according to Aldo, we were 10 euro short (I guess from the moment I turned my back to the front desk). Cool. We give him another 10 euro (now we've possibly paid 75 for the night) and try to ignore the fact that we may have just got played - because we're American? Naive? Women? Who knows. It happened. We were too taken aback to argue. It was uncomfortable. Be careful when paying - for your own good, count the money in front of Aldo (or pay by card... although I'd avoid that in this situation).

Beds were hard, room was small - European standard. Bathroom was tight with a shower not separated from the toilet area (we didn't use the shower, wasn't worth the flood). It's in a good location, close to the Duomo and market stands. Breakfast in the morning was decent - a brioche, butter, nutella spread, orange juice/coffee.

Bottom line: Try and find somewhere else to go before this hotel. Aldobrandini is a passable last resort, but nonetheless a last resort.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank NicoleTanika
Reviewed 20 June 2011

We stayed in this Hotel for 3 nights and the position is fantastic. Our shower, however, was black with dirt and our bathroom was not cleaned every day.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Yes, it's a historic building, but once inside the hotel, there's no sense of it. One of the owners was friendly (the woman was not). I had a single room with shower/toilet. The shower did not drain well, but at least there was a tiny shower stall. The bed was not comfortable -- similar to the roll-away beds used for extra guests, etc. Breakfast was included but poor -- a croissant or two, coffee from a machine, and orange-colored sugar water. It was one of the lowest rates I was able to find, so no regrets about trying the place once

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo