US$284
US$881
US$638
Cancelon
  • Restaurant
All reviewsfree breakfasttrain stationbedside tableeurope tripunbeatable locationil duomocommunal areasprivate bathroomrooms are spaciousair conditioningmain sightsgelatothe heart of the citylockwifidormcereal
Reviewed 20 October 2017 via mobile

Academy Hostel has been the best hostel I've ever stayed in.

The rooms are spacious, clean and comfortable. They provide "luxuries" like a complimentary towel, bedside table with cupboard and secure locker with its own very good lock.

The hostel is secure and I never felt my belongings were at risk. It is a comfortable cozy hostel inside an old Florentine building compound which felt very authentic.

The staff who work there are lovely - friendly, approachable and really helpful. I was very comfortable here, so much so, I extended my stay in Florence.

If there are negatives, it would have to be that the blankets are too thin and I had ro ask for an extra one. Also, the kitchen is great, but has no stove, only a microwave, sandwhich toaster and kettle. So cooking isn't an option.

I forgot to mention the Duomo is just at the end of the street...so prime locatio n with a great view!

Overall I highly recommend Academy Hostel!

Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Maree C
Reviewed 14 September 2017 via mobile

Beds were okay. Shower was stone cold and miserable although the bathroom was clean and large. Room was constantly air conditioned which was horrible and noisy. Couldn't open the window and the shutters made it so dark even first thing in the morning. Staff were friendly and accommodating though. Location was excellent - like 50m from the Duomo. If you just want somewhere to sleep then perfect for you. Otherwise might need to find somewhere else. I was lucky to meet some friendly people in my room thankfully. :) They also do lock out for cleaning 11:30am to 2:30pm

Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank Milly N
Reviewed 31 August 2017 via mobile

I stayed here fot 3 nights. The hostel is centrally located towards the city centre. The beds were comfortable and the room was clean. The only bad thing was the unavailability of a plug next to my bed so I could not charge my phone overnight. Therefore, I had to stay in the lobby before I could go to sleep. I was not the only one facing that problem: I met a lot of people during the three days who were hanging around in the lobby as well.

The breakfast was simple, but good enough for a quick start.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 August 2017 via mobile

Initial reaction arriving here was that the hostel was fantastic. Strong points:
1. Location. - basically next to Il Duomo which makes it easy to get to if you get lost.
2. Breakfast is included!
3. Very clean, and smaller dorm rooms with space for bags and a secured locker.
4. Lovely terrace for relaxing.
5. Towel included!

There were a few negatives to note:
1. The rooms are closed for 3 hours in the middle of the day for cleaning. For backpackers this can be irritating as, of course, sometimes you just need to sleep.
2. This is not a particularly friendly hostel. The staff are pleasant but the guests seemed intent on keeping themselves to themselves.
3. The room I stayed in had a particularly noisy air conditioning unit . You could here the water trickling in all night which can be hard to ignore.

All in all, I would recommend but probably more to people travelling in pairs or groups.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 August 2017

I wouldn't be surprised if half of the good reviews for this hostel were fake profiles. My friend and I stayed here from July 26 to July 30 and were disappointed by everything except the beds. This hostel has air conditioning machines, but that doesn't mean it has comfortable air temperature. It made more sense to leave our windows open and suffer the bug bites than to suffer through the sweltering heat. I paid for air conditioning and instead got the thermostat screwed shut. The hot water heater also did not work. It would be hot for a total of 45 seconds and then lukewarm for the rest of the 5 minutes before the water became freezing. The wifi also didn't work. If you are unfortunate enough to stay here, try using the Eataly free wifi, because that one actually worked for us. Supposedly they had free breakfast, but I wouldn't try it as I would have expected that the snotty guy at the front desk would have spit in it. There are plenty of places in Florence that cater better to tourists. It's central, but Florence is tiny, so any advertisement of centrality should be taken relatively.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends