“Hey, it's a restaurant too!”
Review of Locanda I Grifi

Locanda I Grifi
Ranked #19 of 109 Restaurants in Cortona
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Restaurant Chef Cristiano proposes a typical Tuscan menu with traditional recipes with a contemporary twist ideal even for the most demanding people. It is also possible to taste wine, extra virgin olive oil and other local products, to organize theme dinners, cooking classes, buffets and romantic dinners with custom-made menus. Wine Cellar The wine cellar of Restaurant "Locanda I Grifi" is a magical venue not only for wine lovers but also for all those wishing to spend a special moment while tasting outstanding Tuscan products. The wine list has over a hundred labels including the most renowned and appreciated national and international wines. It is possible to have a professional sommelier upon request who will select the perfect wines to be paired with the different courses. Dining room Restaurant in Cortona "Locanda I Grifi" is located in the uppermost part of the hill, set in a peaceful and panoramic area. Classy and cozy, this restaurant has a beautiful and refined dining room for up to 80 people and a panoramic terrace with 95 seats with an enchanting view onto the Tuscan countryside and Lake Trasimeno to spend unforgettable evenings during the summer with your friends and family. Cristiano and his staff will give you a warm welcome for your lunch or romantic dinner in Cortona to be a moment to remember.
Reviewed 23 July 2017

This delightful restaurant that is part of the hotel - you have to look for the stairs on the left to go down to it, is situated on a hill behind Cortona. You have to drive past the old walls and turn into the road that goes to the duomo and old castle and it is on the corner. We went on a week day evening and other than a party of 10 by the pool it was just the four of us. Cristiano the owner greeted us personally and shared the evening's specials. The food was marvelous and the wine pairings excellent - all local of course, try the Syrah. They speak English if that is a big deal for you but I encourage the effort to try this special place. Boun appetito and the views are marvelous.

Cristiano M, Proprietario at Locanda I Grifi, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2017

Dear Guest,

We are glad you have been our guests here at Locanda I grifi.
I usually greet every guest coming to my restaurant since, as a chef and owner, it is important for me to welcome everyone and follow them during lunch/dinner.
I really appreciate the fact that you have also enjoyed the wine pairing with our local Syrah.

if you are in Cortona once again in the future please come to visit us.

Grazie!

Reviewed 29 June 2017 via mobile

Do not pass this place up. Ever. It is a must visit.
We did a cooking class (my family of 4) which consisted of a
zucchini soufflé anti pasti,
gnocchi with tomato sauce primi piatti,
slow cooked veal secondo piatto,
and panna cotta dolce
This was the most amazing experience. The chef, Cristiano, was a lovely and very hospitable host. He helped my brother with all the different chopping techniques etc (for he never cooks). He provided wine that paired nicely with each dish. He explained why he cooks the way he does and all his little odds and ends that help make a dish so perfect. I have not had a better meal in the last 2 weeks I have been travelling Italy. Furthermore, whilst eating our meal - we witnessed him come out and greet other guests. He is such a hands-on chef and I have never seen anything else like this.

I highly recommend this experience.

Cristiano M, Proprietario at Locanda I Grifi, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2017

Dear Madison,

Thank you very much for your reviews and photos!

I am very happy that you and your family attended to my cooking class here at Locanda I Grfi.
It was a great plasure for me teaching how to cook the tuscan recipes and I really hope you can try it home for your family and friends.
We like to match wine with the meal since it is the best way to understand the flavours of the tuscan cuisine.
I usually greet every guest coming at my tables; every guest is important for me and I'm honoured to have him/her trying our food.I'm very glad you want to recommend this cooking experience.

I really hope to see you and you family on another occasion at my hotel and restaurant.

Kindest regards

Reviewed 4 June 2017 via mobile

Amazing evening of wine tasting and food in Cortona at the top of the hill! Food was incredible, from cheese soufflés, to pasta stuffed pork, to beef cheek and vegetables to dessert with vinsanto! A must when in Cortona!

Cristiano M, Proprietario at Locanda I Grifi, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2017

Dear Guest,

Thank you for such a postive review.

it has been a very special evening also for us; our panoramic terrace set for you and your Group of friends at sunset; the glasses waiting for Baldetti wine to be poured and Mr. Gianluca Baldetti ready to explain his wine production ..everything was set for a magic night.
it is very important for us to have a great local winery , such as Azienda Baldetti, for a wine tasting at Locanda; it is the way we like to promote the products of Cortona.
We are glad you have appreciated your dinner and the menu we had prepared for you
we are also glad to be considered a "must" in Cortona.

We really hope you will visit us once again.

Grazie !

Reviewed 5 November 2016 via mobile

My husband and 2 other friends and I participated in an intimate cooking class with Chef Cristiano Milighetti just outside of Cortona. He greeted us with wine, coffee or whatever you desired (we chose wine, naturally) and off we went to the kitchen. Each person had their own area and Chef Cristiano had everything organized and planned out for us. We started making individual tiramisu cups to let them set for dessert after the meal. Then we created our own pasta! What a thrill to make it from scratch and "roll our own." Then we blanched the Roma tomatoes, peeled them and cooked them for the luscious sauce. We then made a beautiful zucchini soufflé which we got to decorate by spreading the Parmesan with cream cheese sauce over the top. The Chef helped prepare our gorgeous duck with wine sauce which was the main course. Finishing with our lovely little tiramisu, and more wine and coffee, we all thoroughly enjoyed participating in making (and eating) our beautiful dinner, with Chef Cristiano's expert help along with his assistant, Lucca.
I highly recommend this sweet location if you are interested in taking a cooking course in Toscana. It's a memory we can't forget!

Cristiano M, Proprietario at Locanda I Grifi, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2016

Dear Dodie,

Thank you for having attended my cooking class here at Locanda I Grifi and for your kind review. No better words can be found to describe the way we do our cooking class.
I really enjoyed showing you how to prepare pasta, sauce, zucchini flan and tiramisù; now I'm sure you can cook them at home for your family and friends.
I will be always at your disposal for any further information about a recipe or for any assitance you may need in cooking.
I, personally, Luca and staff at Locanda I Grifi really hope you, your husband and your friends will visit us once again if you come back to Cortona.
Grazie mille!

Reviewed 31 October 2016

Had a wonderful dinner with friends at this restaurant in mid October. Service was wonderful and the food was good as well. Just outside of Cortona in Torreone, this restaurant doesn't seem to experience the crowds others may have during dinner, but I did notice several tour buses stopping her midday for the light light. It may be much more crowded for those midday hours.

Cristiano M, Proprietario at Locanda I Grifi, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2016

Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind review.

We are always happy to find that our food and service had been appreciated.
During the week in October ( low season) our restaurant is not much crowded as it is on Saturday night and for lunch on Sunday.
All the staff and Chef Cristiano Milighetti hope you and your friends will visit Locanda once again.
Grazie mille!