All reviews beautiful grounds lots of sun beds fruit trees great pool area two bedroom suite great air conditioning beautiful hotel by european standards wine country main building excellent restaurant great room peaceful location working farm cortona town stayed for two nights enjoy your stay
Reviewed 21 October 2017 via mobile

This hotel got everything increadable surrounding break fast much much better then***** hotels rooms are brand new so what you want more this is it if you around this area do not look some where else.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 October 2017

I booked a room at Borgo il Melone for 2 nights. Due to my own error my flight arrived the second day. After I arrived in Italy and realized my error I called the hotel. They told me that they had tried to contact me (they did not, no call, no email) and that they had booked the room to someone else and were at full capacity. But guess what: they also kept my payment in full. So they get to rent a room out twice? Sorry guys that's fine if I book a room and never show up and the room stays empty. But if you book it to another person when I show up ready to stay this really is not fair. You already collected money for the room, if you can't let me stay then you should give me a refund for that night. Unacceptable.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank jensbjorgensen
Reviewed 29 September 2017

In Italy 4* is a regional award, apparently, and before writing this I checked on the standards. It appears that if you check the boxes you get 4* but there is no box for ambience, service, helpfulness etc, which to my mind makes all the difference in a hotel.
I first booked for June, and the payment was taken immediately, no cancelation allowed etc etc. Unfortunately I had to delay travel until the end of the season and gave a lot of notice- a month as I recall. However the manager effusively said that we would have a deluxe room at the same price- 225€ for 2 nights. Most kind I thought until I saw the rate should have been 175, and today it is 128. So much for generosity.
When you drive in to the grounds it is impressive. We arrived at 1ish and the room was not ready, put the cases back in the car we were told. So we fancied a spot of lunch.That is a choice between a toasted focaccia or a toasted sandwich filled with ham, cheese or both. So much for 4*. Apparently as mentioned elsewhere the catering is done by a separate entity so the 'Taverna' and Restaurant were shut.
We were led to our room later, and they are basic but qualify for 4* because there is a chair for every bed, 3.9 articles of toiletry in the bathroom, a plug, minibar etc etc. No extra * for having white towels over the supplied greyish white ones then, or a single brick hard pillow? (the following day we asked for and got an extra softer pillow, but not after a tough night - and no I am not a wimp- ex infantry)
We ate in Cortona that night and arrived back at the hotel and made our way up the drive to the accommodation block. Parked the car in the block car park - pitch black field. Fortunately smartphones have built in torches. The same inside the block- open the door, pitch black and struggle to find a light switch. God knows what happens in case of fire- guided by the flames I suppose.
The following day we breakfasted in the tavern and sat outside.A notice (and there are lots of those) said if you want lunch book it the night before in the restaurant. Oops -looks like another toastie then, because we decided to have day at the pool. We needn't have worried about lunch because another notice says 'no swimming until 3 hours after a meal' so at this rate we would just abut get 90 minutes in the pool before it shuts.
It was hot, and the pool and surrounds are great. Fancy a drink? Go to the changing room and call reception says another notice. Drink? No - you have to come to reception if you want anything.

I think by now you are getting the drift. The grounds and externals look impressive but forget any service. The rooms are noisy because the ceilings are solid. Vibrations from a phone travelled down a bedside table through the floor/ceiling and the room acted s a sound box! Under 5'4" then stand on a chair to see out of the window.

But the biggest demonstration of 'couldn't give a damn' was when I emailed to say that I had left my MAC charger in the room. I asked them to mail it to my French home, and they said they could not mail anything out of Italy and I should arrange UPS to collect it from the hotel and delivery it to France, and by the way also email a printed label for them. I read that with incredulity, and found that it was cheaper to buy a new one than to arrange a courier rather than for the hotel to post it to me. I would have paid the postage even though they made extra on the room - but that would have involved them in doing something helpful and that is not in the Job Description.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Luemoo
Reviewed 23 September 2017

We stayed at Borgo il Melone for five nights, the hotel is set in beautiful grounds and is a set of separated buildings housing the accommodation, our room was a short walk away from reception and after arriving late we were greeted and quickly shown to our room by a helpful member of staff who carried both of our cases to the room. Our room was number 41 on the top floor of a two story building, this deluxe room was very spacious, clean and has a lovely open ceiling with beams and tiles, plenty of space to move around and relax in. The following morning we were treated to a very nice view of the surrounding countryside- see pictures, a real bonus. The buffet style breakfast served from 07.30 in a building below the on-site restaurant was really nice, to be honest after seeing some of the other reviews I could not fault it all, the staff were attentive and friendly, there were hot food options, cold meats and sweet pastries, our only regret was as we departed early on check out day we could not have breakfast. and so there are only a few downsides to our stay, you will definately need your own transport to get to and from the hotel, I made the mistake of not having any transport arranged when we arrived from Pisa on the train at the Camucia-Cortona station around 19.30 on the first night, there were no taxis in the car park so we were forced to walk the 2 kilometers to the hotel, this was ok until the pavement ran out around halfway and we had no choice but to walk on the verges and ditches at the side of the road until we reached the hotel, we laughed about it afterwards but it was not great!
We used the local taxis twice, that's fine if you have deep pockets but it worked out at 10 euros per kilometer in total which was a bit of a shocker. - 15 euros one way to the station and then 25 euros for a 6.15am transfer to the station. Getting up to the lovely town of Cortona was not that easy either on foot from the hotel, again there is little paved areas so you need your wits about you, the pavement starts on the way up from Cortona Cemetary to the town. There is little evidence that the local drivers pay much heed to speed limits and seem almost surprised to see people walking up the hill so again I could not recommend walking at all, the car is very much 'king'. There is a local bus service but there was no information or timetable we could find to help us schedule trips. When settling the bill we were charged a local tourist tax of 24 euros, it would be really nice if this would go to improving the walking facilities to and from the station! Once at the train station the services are great, we got to Rome, Florence and Pisa really cheaply buying tickets using the Trainline.eu app on the phone, ironically it was cheaper to get to Rome over 120km away than it was to use the local taxis - single off peak to Rome was around 10 Euros!
So in summary we can highly reccomend Borgo il Melone but have your own transport.

Room Tip: Room 41 is dual aspect
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 August 2017 via mobile

Everything was sublime. Very nice staff, always willing to help. Beautiful rooms. Beautiful big swimming pool with a huge garden in order to give everyone private space. Nice beds near the swimming pool. Free towels. Service at the pool. Enough shade provided by the trees. Located in a quiet place, 5 min drive to cortona. Perfect!!!!!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple