Cortona Guida Turistica Autorizzata-Silvia Vecchini - Tour Privato
Review Highlights
The One and Only - Patrizia wedding planner

We couldn't have tied the knot without Patrizia! My husband and I are both from Cortona, but as we... read more

Reviewed 4 October 2018
M S M
Highly recommended

Patrizia organized everything for our wedding in Cortona in september 2018. We live in Norway and... read more

Reviewed 4 October 2018
Janiche S
Oslo, Norway

All reviews wedding planner special events now husband speaks fluent pola performed church
Reviewed 3 February 2017 via mobile

When my fiancé and I decided to get married in Italy, there were a few challenges we were worried about with planing the wedding while living in the US.

We are so thrilled that we found Patrizia Pola with One & Only Weddings and Special Events! She lives right in the town of Cortona, speaks Italian and her English was terrific! She is so wonderful, professional, and has everything under control. She responds to my emails very quickly, and was able to help with the smallest and largest of details. She made our day sooo relaxing. There was not one thing that we needed to tend to, except getting ready and enjoying the moment.

For anyone considering getting married in Cortona, or near it, I cannot stress enough the importance to have someone professional to assist you... Especially if you don't live in the area. Patrizia knows what she is doing and you will be able to enjoy your day that way it was meant to be. She made all the difference in how our day turned out... I couldn't have don't it without her. Thank you Patrizia, for everything you did for us... You are the best!

Date of experience: August 2016
Reviewed 27 October 2015

This tour was without a doubt the worst ever. First, he forgot us and the hotel manager had to get him out of bed. He billed himself as fluent in English and a historian but never demonstrated either. His English was very poor and he wouldn't even try to communicate in other ways. We went to 3 villages, he kept pushing cathedrals and free wine tastings which we weren't interested in. When we stopped for lunch he insisted we go to his friends restaurant. Perfectly fine, but then he fought with my husband over paying the bill which he insisted on doing. When we returned to Cortona he charged my husband and our friends $135.00 per person, a total of $540 Euros when he had quoted in writing $250.00 plus lunch. We had four plates of pasta, a small bottle of Preseco 12 Eros and a bottle of Chianti 14 Euros that makes the charge for the pasta around 65 euros each I believe the menu said 7. Tuscany is so beautiful that even he couldn't ruin our day but I would never recommend this company to anyone. I think he is probably a nice man but way over his head.

Date of experience: October 2015
2  Thank Dawniemurf
Reviewed 2 June 2015

I was expecting so much more from this small town. If you are going here to shop there is not much shopping to do. You could see the town in a half a day. I watched the movie " under the Tuscan sun" and was hoping to see some of the things I saw in the movie.

Date of experience: October 2014
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Secluded on a high spur of of Monte Egidio,Cortona is so ancient that it is called the mother of troy and the grandmother of Rome.
We are up at 6.00am, as the fog begins to burn off, leaving fingers of white stretching up towards the town, the Great Cupola of Madonna del Calcinaio rises above the valley, where small islands of trees appear to float in a misty white sea.
This is the same promontory that looks down onto Lake Tasumeno where Hannibal ambushed Flaminius and his legions. the city is perched at the very top of this hill,and its windswept summit where a long stretch of an Etruscan wall- remains,is a museum housed in a former military fortress built by ,your favourite,and mine,the Medici.
Just below the isolated ridge stands the church of Santa Margherita,and descending from the cypresses below it,steeply- staired streets offer knife-thin slices of views or drop suddenly into tiny interior courtyards. At the centre of the city,beyond the dark fall of stairs and the steep slope of streets,is the two-level Piazza della Republica,where the sun washes over the austere medieval and renaissance facades.
The piazza is the heart of this densely built city which is eminently explorable. here people stop to talk,nod at the priest as he passes,or to finger the candlesticks in the antique shop while keeping an eye on the postman as he walks his Vespa down the steep slant of the square. Housewives can buy fish on cool beds of ice in the stone arcade of the loggia near the Passerini House,the 13th century tower,that was once the Palazzo del Capitany del Popolo and that still dominates the upper level.
From the upper piazza,there is a flurry of activity as clumps of schoolboys pass by on their way home for lunch,shopkeepers lock their doors and businessmen cross to the elegant restaurant set within a brick vaulted building nearby. at one corner of the piazza Signorelli stands the Palazzo Pretorio,a magnificent building which now houses the Etruscan Museum.
In the 18th century the city was the centre of Etruscan mania and archeological fervour which led to the unearthing of 1000s of amulets,vases and bronzes inside tombs,revealing the remarkable culture that once flourished in the surrounding countryside. a short distance below stands the cathedral,and across from it, in the Piazza del Duomo,is the Diocesian museum which is a must look-see, for it houses an extraordinary collection of Tuscan paintings,including works by Duccio and Pietro Lorenzetti of the 14th century and by Sassetta and Signorelli from the 15th century and early 16th, as well as ,the exceptionally moving Annunciation by Fra Angelico.
Below the Duomo stretches the Via del Gesu,a row of medieval houses jutting out on wooden corbels,while nearby palazzi are stamped with the vigour of the rusticated stones of the Renaissance.
The streets of Cortona radiate outwards toward the gates and the huge stone walls that encircle it. Dignity and serenity cling to the cool grey -brown stones of its palazzi. Narrow streets become staireways scaling the hill,and rooftops extend over the curving stone walls of houses to communicate across the narrow opening between them,a spatial conversation punctuated by a brisk flap of laundry or a single tree reaching for the sun.

Date of experience: October 2013
Reviewed 30 March 2014

We took this kind of treks, as a friend told us that we might find chestnuts in the forests, it was a pleasant trek, not to hard, and I can say about myself that I am not a great walker, but it is about 1000 m above sea level, 500 m above Cortona, in dirt walking track, you will discover a remote monastery in between the fitted forest with very high chest trees, you must leave your car at the top of the hill, and climb upper where you can only do it by walking.
How to get there?
go around the Cortona walls to the top, continue versus Umbria, climb up till you will see on your right hand side a pizzeria castelgirardii, take strong left to Cantalena, continue about 10 km up all the time to toppo di moro and you will see the beginning of the dirt road, park your car on the side, it is very narrow, and continue walking, good luck !!!

Date of experience: March 2014