All reviews every morning cakes free bus gelateria location is excellent old building visiting palermo flights of stairs fresh fruit rental car a great place to stay within easy walking distance mondello beach minute walk suite alloro accommodation
Reviewed 13 July 2017

super nice and comfortable just like in the pictures, extemely helpful manager, our family room was perfect, breakfast was copious and tasty, location is wonderful and the old palazzo that houses Abatellis is charming. Just be aware that it is on the third floor without elevator.

Date of stay: July 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 3 July 2017

Abatellis Luxury is a very clean and nicely situated accommodation located close to the sea. We (two couples) rented two apartments with an adjoining door and were amazed by the amount of space we had. The bedroom is a loft up a spiral staircase. The downstairs is a kitchen with dining area and small sitting area. The apartments were nicely planned and well laid out. The spiral staircase could be difficult to manage for someone with any infirmity. The bathroom was on the small size, but adequate. The center of town is only a 10-15 minute walk and there are plenty of neighborhood restaurants to catch a meal. You get a real feel for living in the neighborhood. Despite having an apartment that opened on to the street, the evening and nights were quiet.

Date of stay: June 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 July 2017

The owners are very helpful in showing me where to go, what to see, eat etc. The bed and breakfast (though I didn’t have breakfast give as it wasn’t included in my deal apparently) is on the top floor of a riyadh style apartment building, built round a courtyard. It’s very atmospheric, and in keeping, with flaking frescoes up the many stairs. A lift would be nice! My room is lovely, well designed and there’s a very good modern bathroom.
I was a little surprised to find that the apartments are not attended for most of the day. Though the owner was very helpful when I saw him I think it should have been made clearer how to communicate when he was not around. I felt a little vulnerable travelling on my own. There was a phone number for reception but no-one in reception so I assumed I could not call that number. I also had a problem with the safe and was made to feel it was my fault, when there we no instructions in English and no-one to ask.
The location is excellent. There’s some good street food and fish restaurants nearby. There’s a bus at the bottom of the street and it’s fifteen minutes’ walk to the main station.
After touring Palermo I have also discovered that it also has an extraordinarily complicated history with countless invasions, the Phoenicians, the Romans, the Goths, the Arabs, the Normans, the Byzantines, leading to an incredible architectural feast, and some exotic food. Palermo has a faded beauty, the sunshine adds charm to the peeling facades, wrought iron balconies and chipped stone. You stumble on a surprise round every corner, a fountain, a statue, some Arab style domes atop a hall or church. A cupola peeks over the roofs on every corner but these are colourful mosaic. This is beyond diversity – a splendid mish mash: a classical facade with ornate statues sits in front of a plain brick faced wall, or else nothing, a palazzo, adjacent to a crumbling heap.
I’m proud that I’ve been able to follow my instructions (lots of little windy streets) and find the recommended street market. As advertised, it’s very colourful and there’s a huge variety of polished fruit vegetables and other food, including crawling striped snails, displayed. The stalls stretch across several piazzas and then peter out into flea markets and more streets, which are strewn with clothes and debris. I’m not sure if these are for sale or not and it’s beyond seedy. I’m still feeling vulnerable, so I motor on through.
Back in the Centro Storico, the crenelated royal palace is the epitome of Moorishness from the front, swathed in palm trees. From the back there are Norman arches, and inside, the Cappella Palatina is a feast of Byzantine mosaic -and a throng of people. Upstairs you can tour the royal apartments; the most exciting feature is a room with paintings of all the past presidents, and as parliament does not sit on a Monday I also get to visit the debating chamber.
It’s hot work trekking and admiring (another eight miles today) and trying to resist all the street food and gelateria. I’ve already succumbed to the largest arancini (stuffed fried rice ball) you ever saw. I’ve been told that Mondello Beach, seven miles out of town, is gorgeous, so I decide to make my way there. That’s easier said than done. What would I do without Google complete with excruciating pronunciation to bail me out? Three buses later (one in the wrong direction) I arrive to discover a pretty enough bay, but it’s absolutely heaving with people - and the odd pedalo. You can hardly see the much lauded clear blue water. One section that is visible is an unattractive algae green shade and there’s a very incongruous Arab style pavilion on a pier. I rent a sunbed (he won’t give me a reduction even though it’s now four o’clock) and join the melee. It’s very comfortable with the sea breeze. I wasn’t accorded an umbrella, which is probably just as well when I recall past escapades.
A pleasant day is rounded off with a fish supper down by the port –and Sicilian cassata. The fish is okay and the ice cream scrummy.

Date of stay: June 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 24 June 2017

this B&B is perfect in all aspects: location - in the old kalsa quarter, walking distance from Vittorio emanuele corso (main sreet) with all its nearby attractions, suite spacious and causy, breakfast fresh and homy, and a young, most helpful and kind team. the only problem - for elderly or disabled - is the amount of staircases with no elevator (being an old building under preservation laws...). if you don't have a problem with this - a perfect value for money place. private (paid) parking.

Date of stay: May 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 June 2017

Very lovely small B&B/Hotel located within an old palazzo now converted to apartments. Within walking distance to many attractions as well as the waterfront. The manager, Giuseppe, was extremely gracious and knowledgeable about Palermo. He is like many young Sicilian men who we encountered on our Sicily trip who left the island to go abroad for work and then returned to help create jobs on their beloved island. The breakfast was wonderfully fresh, tomatoes and basil right from the balcony. The room and the bathroom were good sized and clean.

Room tip: Giuseppe will carry your luggage up and down the 53 steps. The hotel can be a challenge to locate as the entrance is through a locked solid wooden door with only a small sign mounted on the wall to the right.
Date of stay: May 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel