Ways to Experience Monte Etna
from US$69.10
from US$39.20
from US$178.50
10,225 results
All reviews cable car active volcano rifugio sapienza sicily life base camp sea level live volcano walk up by foot souvenir shops wheel drive highest point warm clothing half way walking shoes once in a lifetime lava fields
Reviewed 3 April 2018

We went on a tour here, just after heavy snow storms, what a brilliant sight, and totally amazed that our feet were nice and warm, while we walked around. Highly recommended.

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Visited in April and it was quite cold and windy. If you intend to go all the way up, bring good shoes and coat and a woolen hat.

Date of experience: April 2018
Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

We drove up and then as we were under time pressure paid EUR 64 pp to take the cable car and then the bus to near the top. As it was March there was still snow on the ground. The views were amazing you could see all the way to Siracusa! It was extremely windy at the top. To the point that you needed a face mask. It is a special thing to see a volcano and even though we didn’t go to the top to see the 4 active vents you got a sense of it. With more time I would have liked to walk to the very top. The quad tour also looked interesting... next time.

Reviewed 30 March 2018

Etna is one of the most beautiful places in the world. Etna has another name too: Mongibello, which means: the beautiful mountain.

I lived next to Etna for 17 years before moving abroad. But I still visit home and I am always astonished by its greatness. One of the things I love the most about Etna is that it keeps evolving. Being an active Volcano, you see fumes and sometimes even lava erupting (incredible at night). All of this changes slightly the shape of the volcano over the years. It is a real beauty.

It is also possible to hike over it. Take a car, get to Rifugio Sapienza (~2000mt) and simply walk from there. Otherwise, you could join an hiking group with a professional guide which will bring you to the very top (~3000mt).

IMHO, spring and summer are the best times to visit the volcano. But if you are courageous, you should go there at winter time too. The volcano is covered in snow...except for its active erupting "mouths" of course.

You might also want to hike around lower altitutes. The vegetation is very different at different heights. Lovely.

Finally, if you love cycling - which I do - you cannot not cycle it.

Date of experience: June 2017
2  Thank sic2
Reviewed 28 March 2018

To see Mount Etna was one of my reasons for wanting to visi Sicily. To see an active volcano is quite thrilling. The coach took us up about two thirds of the way to the summit. We were able to walk along trails aroud the older inactive volcanos.The day I visited it was extremely cold and windy and there was still a lot of snow on the top but that only added to the experience. View from there over Catania are fabulous. I opted not to take the trip to the top as the cable car wasnt runnng due to the wind, and the snow vehicles could not get close to the rim anyway , Cost is 80 euro if you can do it.