“The Tailor of Taste …”

I Sarti Del Gusto
Ranked #19 of 1,150 Restaurants in Cagliari
Price range: US$40 - US$69
Reviewed 8 October 2018

The restaurant is operated by two young men who are cousins. It is named in memory of the father of one who was a tailor. They are a good pair, with one managing the front of the house, and the other the kitchen.

We arrived a few minutes early for our reservation and had our choice of several tables outside. Service started out good. We ordered glasses of sparkling wine to start. The selection was very good, the serving size was fine, and the price was reasonable.

We selected the fixed price dinner, with the wine paring, but had different secondi.

To start, Amberjack marinated in herbs and olive oil. Very good, and paired well with a white wine.

Followed by beef marinated for 48 hours in single malt scotch whisky, and slow roasted and slightly smoked. Very good, and plenty of food.

Next was ravioli stuffed with Ricotta and Pecorino, cheese, with a butter sauce and diced vegetables. Also very good and quite large.

My wife selected the grouper (hot), on gazpacho (cold). It was very light, and very good.

I selected the braised ox tail with pureed potatoes.

We enjoyed our desserts, a flan, with mango gelato and chocolate; and a white chocolate mousse, with pistachio gelato and dark chocolate.

This is a hard restaurant to rate because it has so much to offer, but it was also very disappointing. On the plus side, the food was excellent as was the service in the beginning. The pace was good until it was time for the secondi, and for that we waited about 40 minutes. It was another 30 minute wait for the desserts.

We expected dinner to take about two hours, but in our case it was over three, because of the dead time.

It was working on a “Five” until the pace fell off.

Reviewed 19 June 2018 via mobile

After a lot of research and umming and arring we decided to book our “last supper” in Sardinia at Sarti del Gusto. With it being the #1 restaurant in Cagliari, what could possibly go wrong?! We were originally going to book at Le Segrete (and how I wish we had!), but unfortunately our last night fell on a Sunday and they were closed... To be honest, the food at Sarti del Gusto wasn’t bad, it was okay. There just wasn’t much of it, and the situation wasn’t helped by the fact that the service was abysmal, to the point of feeling like you were on an episode of candid camera. We arrived for a booking at 9pm, by 9:30, we were still waiting to be served a glass of wine to go with our amuse bouche which consisted of a coin-sized piece of “grilled watermelon” with two sunflower seeds perched on top. By 10pm we had finished a basket of bread (served with 3 drops of admittedly very nice olive oil each - I promise I’m not exaggerating) and were served a starter of sweet corn “cream” (I wouldn’t say soup as there were about 2 spoonfuls of it total, just enough to coat the bottom of the plate) with shrimps, which tasted lovely, but didn’t really do much to appease our rumbling stomachs. We ordered our second glass of wine after the starter, and had all but finished it by the time the pasta dish arrived about 30 minutes later. The pasta dish entailed 5 small tortellini filled with a rather bland aubergine purée, drizzled with butter and served with 2 sun dried cherry tomato halves (again, not exaggerating, but being precise). It was okay, especially because we were starving, but certainly nothing to write home about... so far so average, holding our breath for the main course. When it arrived (30 minutes later, at about 10:45pm, 1 hour and 45 minutes into our meal), the main course consisted of a two-finger wide piece of fish, which was cooked perfectly, with a crispy piece of skin on the side and about 1/4 of a courgette’s worth of spiralised vegetables on top. That’s it. Again, tasty, but by no means enough to satisfy our growing pangs of hunger. At 11:00, panicking about the fact that 3 courses and 2 hours into our €42 menu I was still starving, I had to ask for some more bread before dessert... to be fair, when I said we were still hungry the waiter/owner did ask if we wanted some chicken but when I said that I don’t eat meat (I’m a pescatarian), I was met with a shrug, a basket of bread, and 3 more drops of olive oil. When by 11:30pm there was still no sign of dessert, we decided to give up and just ask for the bill, leaving hungry, €100(!) poorer (he took €4 off the bill for the no-show desserts...) and utterly disappointed (we actually ended up going to another bar to order some food so as not to go to bed hungry). Not wanting to be unfair, we voiced our disappointment to the owner when we got the bill to give him a chance to apologise or explain, but were only met with a shrug and the reply “sorry if you don’t like it, it’s just our style”. For context, I am not a glutton and have eaten at many “fancy” restaurants with set menus consisting of a series of small dishes, but have never left hungry. Not sure I’d consider it a matter of “style”, but rather a lack of understanding of how to put together a well balanced and satisfying set menu that is tasty, high quality and filling enough to merit the premium price point. I definitely wouldn’t go back here, and hope this review will serve as a word of warning to other travellers at risk of falling into the “#1 restaurant trap” and hopefully also as constructive feedback to the owners/chefs at Sarti del Gusto.

2  Thank Kata C
Reviewed 18 June 2018 via mobile

We visited I Sarti Del Gusto by accident and it turned out to be one of the most an amazing evening ever. The restaurant could not be faulted. This is one of the most romantic restaurant, we enjoyed an amazing candle lit dinner with stunning food. The staff are extremely attentive and helpful. Definitely recommended for couples looking for a date night!

1  Thank Mh9O
Reviewed 7 June 2018

This was more than a great restaurant it was an experience. It started with our waiter/owner photo bombing a picture out front. He then took a few photos of all of us. We went inside and the experience got even better. The food and service was excellent and the restaurant was beautiful. The translation is "the tailor of tatse" and they do a great job.

Reviewed 29 April 2018 via mobile

If you are in Cagliari, you definitely have to visit this restaurant! I’ll be back! :)
Traditional Sardinian dishes with a contemporary twist, which I think result in a very exciting menu. We tried the daily set menu, all four courses were absolutely amazing, and exceptional combinations of flavours.
The service was excellent! Very professional and friendly!
Thank you again for the great evening.

1  Thank Franciska K