“Exceptional food and value”

Sa Ide e S'ollia Cagliari
Ranked #9 of 1,148 Restaurants in Cagliari
Price range: US$29 - US$40
Reviewed 8 October 2018

This was the first dinner of our trip and it set the standard for all that followed. It was a high standard!

The concept is to use local foods, but pair them in ways not typically seen in Sardo Cuisine. You chose the number of courses you want, and the wine is included.

We intended to have the full experience and started with the hot and cold appetizers. The theme was “land and sea” and that night there were 11. Each us received one of each -
In a small box, little “eggs” made of salmon and shrimp, breaded and deep fried,
Salmon marinated for 48 hours in salt,
Broiled mussels with pesto and cheese,
A broiled quail egg, topped with a sea scallop and salmon roe, on crostini,
Pureed potato and cream with squid and squid ink,
Diced pork cooked in a mussel puree,
Asparagus wrapped in pancetta,
Salami stuffed figs,
Dried beef stuffed with cream cheese,
Prosciutto wrapped peach slices,

This was followed by two pastas. Again, it was land and sea. One plate contained ravioli stuffed with grouper. The sauce was a reduction of shrimp and crab, finished with cream, and topped with very sweet little strawberries.

A bowl held linguini with tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, and bacon.

Both were excellent.

At this point we were getting full, so we shared the secondi - charcoal grilled squid and cuttlefish, on a sauce of pureed peas seasoned with mint.

And also on the plate, beef tenderloin, topped with sweetened gorgonzola cheese, resting on peppers and tomatoes. Two totally different flavors and textures.

And dessert. A warm chocolate cake with chocolate raspberry pudding, and a Chantelle cream with nuts. And a vanilla cream with chocolate and nuts, paired with an orange Crème brûlée.

The red and white wines paired well with the foods, but they were not the stars of the evening.

We finished with espresso and a photo with the owners.

Each course was explained as it was served, and the pace was very good.

Our reservation was for 7:30, and by 8:00 the room was full and they were turning people away.

2  Thank phat_dawg_21

Reviewed 8 October 2018 via mobile

A great find. Keep walking away from the main busy centre and you have the best restaurant in Cagliari. Andrea was a charming host and chef. The food and wine was outstanding quality and exceptionally tasty. The whole experience was indeed a journey of food. The price was set at €35 all in (each). So that’s 10 piece starter, two part pasta, two part secondi, 4 part dessert, coffee.....(Food, two bottles of Wine, Bread, Cover, Limoncello all in!) And I would have paid more! Felt embarrassed to pay €70 each for such a fab evening. Tipped generously :-)

2  Thank Pebble191
Reviewed 7 October 2018 via mobile

Visited last night, what a delight. Perfect service very attentive. The food was fully explained for both of us, Veggie also. The quality of the food was exceptional, all dishes perfectly delivered, enjoyed the food variations enormously, local dishes were just to die for. This place is a must, we would even consider visiting the island again just for the food!!!

Cannot praise the staff enough, lovely hosts to a memorable evening.

Almost forgot to mention the price, to be honest we felt a little embarrassed as the whole meal with wine, sweets, coffee’s and the local fire water was only 50 Euros - plus a nice tip of course!

2  Thank Kevin E
Reviewed 27 September 2018 via mobile

It's impossible to fault Arco and his team: a warm personal welcome from the head chef as soon as you enter the restaurant, very attentive service and a warm, convivial atmosphere.

The food is exceptional. The menu offers a journey of discovery around Sardinia, but the standout for me was the fact I wasn't neglected, even though I'm vegetarian.

Special starters were prepared for me, and two different pastas. I was completely stuffed when the meat and fish dishes arrived, but Arco insisted the kitchen made me a dish with beans. it was delicious, but I couldn't finish it as had gone to town on the pasta!

It's these little touches that really make a visit here so special, not to mention the fantastic team who bend over backwards to make everyone feel at home.

We loved our first visit so much we asked Arco and the team to cater our wedding. They did such a great job that we're proud to call ourselves regulars. Looking forward to our next visit

1  Thank Halla M
Reviewed 27 September 2018 via mobile

If you want to eat the same way as you can in almost all the restaurants in Cagliari, don’t come here.

If you don’t like surprises, or you are fussy about what you will and won’t eat and if you only like to order from a menu, this isn’t your place.

If you want to sit outside, as far as I can see, forget it.

As far as I can see almost anyone who hasn’t given this place 5 stars is because of reasons like these.

However if you are comfortable with a set tasting menu format for a fixed price (depending on how much you eat it’s basically 25-35 Euros pp including wine, dessert, coffee, water, digestif, breadbasket) and are happy to let them choose the wine (we had white - it was great) then you are in for a treat.

We thought the service was engaging and charming; the cooking and presentation were delightful and amongst the many lovely plates and items there were a few real stand-out pleasures.

Many of the other reviewers have described in detail the way it works. Those that give it 5 stars are absolutely right.

I don’t know how often they change the set dishes / menu but all I can say is the antipasti was the most imaginitive we had in 2 weeks but also included ‘classics’; the cuttlefish pot in particular was wonderful. The two types of pasta were great and different, and I don’t know how they grilled the squid so beautifully but they gave me another when I complimented it so much! It’s all contrasting/accompanying meat and fish throughout. They presented 4 small desserts (Crema Catalana, Panna cotta, chocolate pudding and a whipped cream one) that were all fabulous.

We thought this place was outstanding value. To be fair, I cannot imagine many places where you’d eat and drink as we did in such nice surroundings in an accomplished way for 35 Euros all in. It was so nice to have such a great send off on our last night in Sardinia, thanks for a lovely evening!

2  Thank RPtravelling