See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 11 August 2008

El Buric offers clean, quiet and comfortable accommodation in Mario and Fiorell’s 6th floor flat. There is a tidy shower room and toilet shared with the guests in the other bedroom. There is no TV or radio in the bedroom, but we didn’t miss this as we were out most of the day and evening. The air conditioning works well. It is about 15 minutes walk from the old town, and about 4 or 5 minutes walk to the beach. The cost of the accommodation is very fair, and I would recommend it.

Alghero old town is picturesque. We enjoyed evening meals at Bella Napoli in the Piazza Civica.

To really explore Sardinia you need a car, as there are few buses going out of town, and the bus stops are hard to find.

Stayed: July 2008
2  Thank MusicianTeddington
Reviewed 3 May 2008

I stayed 1 week in Mario's apartment Cavour in the centre of Alghero. A simple and clean 2-rooms-flat in good shape right in the heart of the old town. And the price is good!!! Air conditioning is available and all is clean and new. No problems for water or services, I found everything ok so I don´t understand a previous report about this flat on Tripadvisor.
It takes 15 minutes to come to the Lido beach but the sea is 40 meters close and sometimes I've gone to the small beach of Torre de San Jacomo just close to this apt. – of course the sea was to cold in this early time of the year. Nevertheless: all the sightseeing points of the historical centre are near around: the cathedral, the city-walls and the main places.

Beware:
the apt. is in a touristic place, so sourrounded by restaurants and pubs. This may be nice or simply noisy during the weekend nights; but in the morning there's a great silence until late! And a close fantastic bar where to wake up with a strong italian coffee in face to the sea and the sun!
For a young couple (and myself) it's a real good spot.

It isn´t easy to go there by car, because the access to the old town is only permitted to residents. So it would be better if you let your car out of the city walls, to avoid some problem with the local police.
However streets are narrows and a car may have some problem for to find a parking place or simply to surpass a parked car. But it takes only 5 minutes to the next bus-stop at Porta Terra.

And Mario – a very gentle sardinian man – picks you up and drops you off to the Alghero airport if you need it.

I `ll gonna go there again.

By the way: Thx to Tripadvisor – You do a good job!

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Brathering78
Reviewed 15 December 2007

We stayed at Mario's small apartment in the old town. On the website it sounds and looks lovely, but the reality is a small cave with no windows, little hot water and an unreliable electrical system. If you turn the lights on, the heating goes off and visa versa. I complained about this to Mario but he just shrugged and blamed the local electricity supply. Whihc was rather odd because every other property on the street was lit up like an Xmas tree!!

He was also very difficult to contact. Added to this he charges taxi rates to pick u up from the airport and even though I paid him up front, he didn;t even bother picking us up when we thankfully left.

Having got home, I wrote to him to ask for my 10 Euro's back as he hadn't picked us up, only to receive a nasty letter accusing me of breaking a water pump in the bathroom (which was rubbish)
and I owed him 160 Euro's but he would settle for 150 Euros due to the ten he owed me!! The cheek!

Any review that commends the place must be written by his mates as everything about this man is odious.

He won't do anything unless you pay him first, I had no receipt for any of the money I paid him, the accomodation is diabolical and his attitude stinks.

Avoid like the plague....

• Stayed: January 2004, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank redstaruk
Mario_Galasso, owner at El Buric, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2008

This young english guest went not in December, 15, 2007 but in January, 19th -22nd, 2004. He decided by his self to rent this apt. instead of a double bedroom in B&B accommodation because of the location (old town, 40 meters close to the sea) and the more privacy. He saw the apt. on place before to rent it. He payed 210 € all included plus 10+10 € for pick up and drop off, required expressly by him. Before and after him we have had many other english guests and several good reports for the same apt (please, read them before and after january 2004). The apt, the furniture and all services were absolutely news for a restauration done in autumn 2003, as water pump, air conditioning, heating, boiler, wiring system, kitchen etc.
When we controlled the apt. after his leaving we found it as a real pigsty, and the break of the expensive and new water pump and we asked him (linking a fiscal receipt dated 24th January 2004) to send us the relative money (150 €). We also sent him 10 € as refund for a not utilized drop off (because he went directly to the airport probably for the damage of the water pump, so he did not asked it to us on place, ). The guest answered us using a tavern language, extremely rude, offensive and not nice, and for to avoid to pay the broken pump he complaints many non-existent problems had in those 3 days. For the readers, this apt. is difficult to find available, being always booked because of its qualities, mainly from english guests. We have some of our old guests that are used to book it several times per year and that are surprised from this report not true and full of falsisties. Of course everybody knows that bad reports are a good system for to damage some activity without having problems back. The best way is to controll on place the true situation and to taste this accommodation. The first that will book from now will have a1 night free.

Reviewed 12 August 2007

We are from Venice and we stayed at Alghero for 5 nights. The appartment was clean and comfortable and it was just 2 minutes walk from the beach and from downtown. Mario is a very gentle man. We will definitely stay at El Buric again on our next visit to Sardinia.

Thanks again.

CIAO

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with friends
2  Thank fatima78
Reviewed 31 July 2007

My girlfriend and I spent four lovely days in the El Buric bed and breakfast. Mario and Fiorella seemed very honest and willing to help, even taking me back to the airport on the first day when I realised I left my passport (although at a fee). The beach is less than five minutes walk and the views across the sea to the peninsula are breathtaking. Even in July there was still ample space on the long lido beach. It was very hot - top temperatures of 30-45 degrees C - so make sure you pack sun cream (I got burnt). The old town is fantastic and we enjoyed great food (mostly sea food pasta - a speciality) on the ramparts of the town walls over the sea.

The were only a few inconveniences. The intial email contact was rapid but each email contained lots of information on all Mario's offers which was a bit overwhealming. Mario's pick up car only seats four and it was slightly strange that the family being picked up from the same flight as us had to wait at the airport whilst Mario dropped us at the appartment. Over the road from the wonderful beach is what is possibly a sewage plant and there were certainly sporadic sewage-like smells wafting over the beach! We didn't find sharing the bathroom very inconvenient at all. The appartment is on the top floor of a block of flats (there's a lift) but this does make from some nice views over the town and the sea. Your room is your room but the walls are not very thick and you have to walk through the hosts' living area to get to it - but again this was not overly inconvenient.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with friends