All reviews private beach sea view superior room large tent walk into town the hotel staff old town free sunbeds swimming pool half board hotel is located deep end four courses mini bar plenty of sunbeds nice walk tea and coffee
Reviewed 29 July 2018 via mobile

We stayed for 9 nights at the Calabona in June and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The staff were polite and friendly and the rooms were cleaned thoroughly each day. The breakfast contained a wide variety of food and to be able to eat it outside was lovely. We used the pool most days and it was spotless. The whole hotel is cleaned to a very high standard. The private beach is a bonus and we always managed to get a lounger either there or by the pool.
It is situated in a lovely peaceful location, at the end of the main stretch and about a 20 minute walk into the old town where there are plenty of places to eat and drink.
We had a car and visited many places, Capo Caccia, Porto Ferro, Bombarde, Mugoni, Bosa and Stintino. The gentleman behind the bar recommended some places we could visit on our stay, and provided us with a map to assist us. The hotel has car parking which is another added bonus.
We had some lovely meals out (as we were B&B), Piadina del Pozzo, a personal favourite!
A truly wonderful stay at the Calabona, we will be back!

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 July 2018 via mobile

We stayed for a week at this friendly hotel. The staff were very helpful and nothing was too much for them .
A peaceful location with a pleasant promenade walk to the old town.
Could be more storage in the rooms, but very clean and comfortable.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
Calabona, Direttore at Calabona Hotel Alghero Sardegna, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2018

Thank you very much for your nice review.

Elisa Fonnesu - Direttore

Reviewed 17 July 2018

-This is a really nice hotel with fairly modern rooms
-Great buffet breakfast daily
-Decent location, walkable to everything
-Great pool
-Lobby areas are dated, this hotel is an American 3/ 3.5 star in my opinion

The one big drawback of this hotel is that almost every single room faces the pool with the only window being a sliding glass door. These heavy wooden doors cover the sliding glass. You basically have to sleep with no natural light coming into the room if those are closed.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled with friends

Thank you for your kind review.

Your suggestion is valuable to improve our services, as the Guest satisfaction is our first target.

Elisa Fonnesu - Dir.

Reviewed 14 July 2018 via mobile

I decided to extend my review and clarify it based on hotel comment to my last review. To set facts straight my mother was a guest in this hotel few years ago. I personally used its services especially back office services like wifi and print on more than few occasions as I regularly rent a house 2km away each summer.

I also was a client to their pool bar on few occasions so I think i have every right to place my opinion about them. I will stay away from room and food comments as it has been few years since I have seen them or tasted it.

To my main point. Reception staff is unprofessional and unfriendly which was not a problem in previous years. I asked one man to print a boarding card and one gentleman had no issue with my request while another was obviously annoyed when finding out I am not a guest regardless I wanted to pay for his inconvenience. Than proceeded to instruct me how this is his house and I should ask him before making such requests. It made no difference to explain I already did ask 2 other individuals and they agreed.
In his response to my comment he stated I "sneaked" in which is a plain lie as I parked my car in front of the reception asked to use their wifi and than asked first receptionist for help.

Another time my son and I were using their hotel bar paying for our drinks and ice cream which I guess makes us customers but not to the same gentleman from reception who asked us out of the hotel per some bogus insurance claim. Basically poor customer service and bad attitude at its best when your personal beef gets in the way of your professional conduct.
You stay at the hotel or not you are a past or future client certain strandard should always apply. Therefore based on this poor personal experience I state again member of staff is unfriendly and poorly trained in good customer service manners which reflects bad on all staff which might otherwise be perfeclty capable.

My other comments is I think fair too and it has nothing to do with being a current room guest or not.

Construction site next door offers poor views to those whose windows look toward the sea in south west direction. Pictures speak for themselves.

Beach area which technically is only used by hotel as all beaches are public is poorly kept. I attach a picture for you to judge. Pieces of glass , trash litter the sand. Not to mention sand could easily use a rake since it's very small and it's just plain last that hotel doesn't put in effort to keep beach used by their clients .

Hotel is located near outskirts of Alghero so you will probably need a car unless you like to walk longer distances.

I cannot respond to hotel comments all I can say is try to train your staff better as your policy is only known to yourself a obviously and you never know who could become your client one day. For sure I won't.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank Andrzej P
Calabona, Direttore at Calabona Hotel Alghero Sardegna, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2018

Dear Mr. Andrzej Pawelec,

your previous review has been removed by Tripadvisor because it doesn’t comply with the Tripadvisor guidelines. This new review sound again as inopportune and incorrect and for this reason we are going to report to Tripadvisor your abuse, but not before to have clarify the events in the travelers interest.

Firstly we point out that:
- Mr. Pawelec recognizes that he wasn’t been a Hotel Guest, admitting that he rented a house 2km away. Then he hadn’t any right in order to use the Hotel services, reserved to our Guests only. He mentions that his mother was a guest in this hotel few years ago, but if it has been it doesn’t give him any right for the present review (the personal experience as Guest are to written within 1 year);
- he recognizes to have used the Hotel parking, the wifi, the internet point, the printing service and other general services, pretending to be a Hotel Guest and failing to say that he was a visitors (and consequently failing to ask for the necessary authorization) instead to ask for them to the supplier where he’s staying and paying. About this point, I’m sure that nobody gave to Mr. Pawelec the permission because this kind of authorization is subject to my personal approval and I never received any request concerning this person. Then, as it is clear that our Hotel is a private property, he appears so cheeky considering that he really snuck in the private property.
- to crown everything as above described, he became arrogant and rude when has been found by the Hotel Staff, affirming his right to use the services reserved to the Hotel Guest’s only, basing on unexplained reasons ….and it is occurred more than one time.
- finally, he wrote about view problems due a construction site but he cannot judge it, because he never went in the side of the Hotel facing on this site. The picture was taken from a hill, which is quite far from the Hotel, with the intent to present the hotel as close to this site, instead the construction site is situated along the south cost, beyond private dwellings and the large garden, without any significant disturb for the view from the Hotel.

The reception staff , always professional, is friendly with the Hotel Guests and with the authorized visitors but not the same is due with squatters. For this reason the staff correctly invited Mr. Pawelec and his son to leave immediately the Hotel once, twice and … more. I suggest to Mr. Powelec to learn the basic manners and the correctness rules, before teaching about the standard that should be applied by others.

Mr. Andrzej Pawelec, we understand that our services were ok when illicitly used but not when they became no longer available. Aesop’s fable “the Fox and the Grapes” is quite a good description of this event.

Reviewed 30 June 2018

From the moment we arrived we felt immediately relaxed and at home thanks to the superb staff on reception, in the restaurants and bars, around the pool, and room maids. This is a lovely relaxed family run hotel with a superb pool, and lovely private beach just a few short steps away.

The staff in the restaurant are excellent, very friendly and attentive and a credit to the hotel. food is very good with plenty of variety, and we didn't have the same thing twice. Breakfast was also good, in the "tent" overlooking the sea.

It is a nice walk along the sea front into the old town which takes 15-20 minutes depending on if you take a short cut through the town. The hop on/off red bus stops just outside the hotel and is a good way of getting around the area.

Our room was superb, and spotlessly clean, with a sea view.

The only down side was that we booked an excursion through Thomsons, and their customer service left a lot to be desired. We needed to contact them as they changed the excursion the night before, but they had left us no contact details, nor had they left any with the hotel staff who were more than helpful in resolving the problem. My advice is do not hesitate in going to this hotel, but avoid booking excursions through Thomsons, and book them locally instead. The day trip of highlights of the area is very good, visiting Bosa, a Nuragu site, and wine tasting along the way. Also the caves of Neptune which we visited using the red bus and walked down the 600+ steps, although you can visit by boat from the marina which costs about the same.

I hope the development nearby of luxury apartments does not spoil the atmosphere of the area which is unspoilt.

Room Tip: We had a suite on the third floor with a sea view which was excellent value
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Calabona, Direttore at Calabona Hotel Alghero Sardegna, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2018

Thank you very much for your nice review.

We hope to welcome you again!

Arrivederci from all the staff,

Elisa Fonnesu