All reviews private beach sea view superior room large tent walk into town the hotel staff old town free sunbeds swimming pool half board hotel is located wonderful week deep end four courses mini bar quiet location plenty of sunbeds
Reviewed 2 August 2016

We came here with a Swedish charter trip, one week, half board, meaning we had breakfast and dinner at the hotel. We came for sun, warmth, Italian food, and Sardinian wine. Utter success!

The hotel was very nice. Our room (258) had a great view from our balcony overlooking both the pool and the Mediterranean. Splendid! We didn't have sunset views, but we did if we walked 100 meters towards town, so we hardly thought it an issue :) The rooms & the rest of the hotel are kept very nicely (I wish my hedges were that well-trimmed!), the pool serves its purpose for cooling off when it gets hot, and there's bar/food service during all the hours we care about.

The beach IS small, in case you read that in other reviews. I urge you to bring along some kind of shoes you can wear in the water if you plan to go to the beach and swim there. The bottom is rocky and a bit hard to maneuver barefoot, as I discovered. I encourage you to give the beach a chance since it's quite nice. After taking a walk to the Maria Pia beach (took us a bit over an hour), which was VERY VERY crowded, our little beach felt quite cozy and intimate. If you want huge crowds, go elsewhere.

Alghero itself is all about the old town. Getting there is a charming walk of ca. 20 minutes to get to the center of the old town. Here you'll find zillions of restaurants, ice cream places, cozy bars for a drink, great views, tourist kitsch (if you must...), B&Bs, and so on. We walked into the old town most evenings after dinner and just the walk itself is enjoyable. Alghero in the summer is a lively place with people out at all hours and of all ages. We enjoyed that.

As stated above, we had breakfast and dinner included in our hotel stay. If I could do it again, I'd get breakfast only, but I'll get to that... The breakfast buffet is fine. It has all you'd expect from yogurt to fresh fruit. I'm not a hot-breakfast person, so I can't speak to the quality of the eggs / bacon / etc., but I saw it was there :) One word of advice is to order coffee from the waiters; the sludge from the machine is undrinkable, but not so what they'll bring you.

Dinner is the only issue that brings down my overall review of the hotel. Every dinner included an entree (starter), a primi, secondi (main), and dessert. With only a couple of exceptions from 6 dinners, the secondis were only... well... fine. I expected more from a 4-star hotel. They were simply ordinary. The vegetables, at least on a couple of evenings, were really not very good. Overly-boiled peas? Really? I thought that the suckling pig (a Sardinian traditional dish) was good, and we had some fish that was good, but by and large the main courses were just ordinary.

However, we had some SPLENDID starters and primis. Their primi pasta dishes were fantastic, especially the lasagne I had. Since I'm an ice cream fanatic, desserts were a slam dunk, but the tiramisu was also excellent.

All of this says that the food was a mixed bag. If the main courses had been better, I would have given the hotel an overall higher rating.

You'll almost certainly read complaints about the wifi. It is indeed not good at all. On the other hand, why don't you just turn off your computer / phone / whatever when you're on vacation? :) I used the wifi, and, while slow, it served me ok.

The personnel at the restaurant are great. We chatted amiably in particular with Fabian, Frederica, and the head waiter (whose name I don't know). When I look back on my Sardinia trip in a few years, it'll be the people I remember. Details like bringing me a double-espresso for breakfast when I obviously needed it give plenty of good karma! All other personnel we encountered were professional and courteous.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
4  Thank David P
Reviewed 28 July 2016

i'm a little late with this one having stayed here the last week of may, half board, fancied a break.

overall a very nice hotel, well presented and 'v' shaped, on the coast so most rooms get great views over the pool, which is a good size and of the sea. quite a rocky coast line but the hotel has its own little stretch of private beach. well run and very clean. my particular room was very nice with balcony and sea views, tv, safe, T/coffee maker and reasonably priced mini bar. the bed though was a little weird, two singles pushed together, because of the edges where they met in the middle it meant a ridge so like sleeping on an incline...

all meals were in the hotel restaurant, not the marque as other reviews mentioned, maybe too early in the season for us. the food overall though was very good. breakfast was buffet style with a good choice, all the usual suspects both hot and cold selections. dinner a little more formal. the menu for the evening is on the tables at breakfast and the waiter takes your order for that night. largely classic Italian and four courses, antipasti, pasta, mains and dessert. they also serve some local Sardinian dishes and one night in particular is dedicated to Sardinian food, featuring the classic suckling pig, delicious drinks ordered are signed for and paid for on checkout. dining times for brekkie and dinner are both served at 8, am and pm which I though a little late particularly dinner.

the hotel itself is in a slight dip south of town on the main coast road. if heading into Alghero leaving by either front or back doors there are steep-ish slopes that take you to the top of the promenade which then slopes down into town. its a 15 to 20 minute walk. if you carry on along the front past the marina the main beach area is about another 20 minutes further on. its a really nice walk with scenic views throughout.

re the surrounding area and some earlier reviews, it can look a little unsightly in some areas. around the promenade, the viewing area next to the hotel, there is a fair bit of graffiti, but this can be seen in most cities. re the empty hotel, there are actually two. the taller more noticeable, it looks like the company maybe went out of business, its finished apart from the stucco finish, but there's also a smaller one between the taller and the calabona, but this I didn't even notice till a few days in. I wouldn't let talk of these put you off.

overall another great hol and if visiting alghero again would have no problem returning here.

Date of stay: May 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 27 July 2016

Stayed one week in an upgraded room that faced the ocean. Very clean room; excellent housekeeping (all over). Pool area was quiet and relaxed, never really crowded if you overlook the "towel reservations" made for sun beds. Small private beach gives direct access to sea. Good breakfast, - nice dinner menu / setting. Perhaps just as important as the hotel standard was the quality of the staff; here they all provide you with good service (arranged appointments for massage as well as haircut).

Room tip: Go for a room overlooking the ocean / sun set.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Finn R
Reviewed 24 July 2016

We stayed half board for one week and wished we could stay longer. The buffet breakfast is excellent with a wide choice and brilliant strong coffee. This is served in a large margue within the grounds of the Hotel. Dinner is a fixed four course meal with a variety of choices, the food is excellent and plentiful. Service throughout is perfect, the staff pleasant and helpful. Our smallish but comfortable room had very modern lighting with blue LED illuminated switches, though trying to work out which switch (of the many switches) operated which light was a challenge. The room was kept spotless throughout our stay. The WiFi though proved difficult to use, we were only able to gain access once during our stay, and then the connection was lost after a few minutes use. There is a short steep slope to get from the Hotel onto the promenade before walking down into the town. It is about 30 minutes to walk into the 'old town' though there is the beach bus - from the top of the slope!

Room tip: All rooms have a balcony and good views.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 July 2016 via mobile

Nice hotel close enough to the hustle and bustle of Alghero town but far away enough to be quiet and relaxing with its own private beach. Our room had its own balcony which was very handy to dry towels/beach stuff. Breakfast was ok and functional but with a nice view of the sea. Lots of parking available. Didn't really use the pool area but looked nice. Good pineapple juice on request. Rooms were nice and quite Sardinian. Hotel staff were nice and helpful - they were able to accommodate our request of putting the two single beds together to make a double. Overall a good stay.

Date of stay: July 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple