Lowest prices for your stay
US$115
SAVE US$33
Hotels.comUS$97
TravelocityUS$97
CheapTicketsUS$123
All reviews central island old town acropolis cusp city
Selected filters
Reviewed 20 July 2020 via mobile

This was my second trip to the Akropolis Museum Hotel......but this time I brought my partner.

We loved how it's boldly keeping the lights on in this part of town.......The Akropolis Museum Hotel is a beacon of hope for what Taranto can be......By staying here, we felt like we were seeing a city on the cusp of a great renewal. My partner and I were delighted to contribute to keeping the hotel open at this difficult Covid time and we look forward to returning in better times.

Parking here is tricky if you're used to spacious car parks, since the laneway to the hotel is directly off the main coast road and is very narrow.......so I'd advise either taking a taxi or using a public car park further down the road near the lifting bridge.
The hotel is located on the historic central island of Taranto old town, which has suffered badly from decay over the years....so while it's fascinating to observe the old buildings and compare them to other cities in Italy, I would advise caution if you're planning on exploring at night because it can feel a bit unsafe out in the laneways in the dark.

The Akropolis is a trailblazer for this area, since they have renovated the building and maintain such high standards. For us, it was really eye-opening to see this side of Italy after coming from Naples, Pompeii, Amalfi Coast and Matera, which are so tourist-orientated. Taranto does not have the same level of tourist industry......and yet it's charming and could be a fabulous location with correct management and renovation.
In light of this, the Hotel Akropolis Museum Hotel is doing a fabulous job by just existing......on top of that however, the staff are also extremely kind and helpful. For example, I mentioned to the night Porter that I may have left a set of keys on my first visit 5 years ago and he went off looking through old lost and found boxes without me even asking him .
We would recommend stating for a night in Hotel Akropolis Museum Hotel to anyone who is touring Southern Italy and wants to experience more than the typical tourist experience.

Date of stay: July 2020
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank gazzy_j
Reviewed 10 April 2019

Hotel located in ceter of Taranto near the Museum and at 10 min form nice restaurant along the port. Access can be an issue as hotel il located is really small street. Excellent welcome with friendly people. Rooms are reasonnable but ols fashion, clean. Hotel is noisy as wall thickness should be thin and standard window with small street is making that you can listen to all street noise but no cars after 22.00. Breakfeast is perfect with all what you need and home made pies.
I would recommend this as a typical hotel.

Date of stay: April 2019
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 8 April 2019 via mobile

Rainy afternoon, touristic places closed, and lost in Taranto's old Town. As I was looking for a dry place, I was lucky enough to find the hotel Akropolis where I enjoyed a superb espresso served by very profesional and friendly staff. Thanks for brightening up the gloomy meant-to-be Tarabtian afternoon.

Date of stay: April 2019
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 3 April 2019

My wife and I spent 4 nights here on a short break to Taranto. The hotel is located in the winding narrow streets of the old city close to St Cataldo's Cathedral and a short walk to the sea. Also close by are many good seafood restaurants. Our room was large, well furnished and spotlessly clean, as was the bathroom. Excellent free wi-fi. Tea/coffee making facility and air conditioning. All staff were friendly and helpful and spoke good English. A hotel full of character, recommended if you want a change from a bland corporate hotel.

Date of stay: March 2019
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 February 2019

The hotel is located in the centre of Taranto old town, in that sort of little island where the doric temple column are. The first advice for any traveller is not to get scared by the looks of the old town: it looks dilapidated at points, but if one looks carefully it is clean and very picturesque. I recommend it to anyone for its genuine style. The hotel is in the middle of it. The hotel building is nicely renovated, outside and inside. The hotel inside is very nice, extremely well renovated, very clean but also very picturesque, as it includes historical architectonic elements of the building, which was first build like 1000 years ago.
The room I had was very well equipped, the bathroom was very nice and there was no problem with the supply of water.
The staff is extraordinarily friendly and gives the exact mixture of professionalisms and dedicated service.
I can not find any reason not to recommend this hotel.

Room tip: As specifically for a quite room, as there seem to be some that are not so.
Date of stay: February 2019