“A million Thank You's for my experience!”
Review of Harry's Bar

Harry's Bar
Ranked #551 of 1,469 Restaurants in Venice
Cuisines: Bar
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: San Marco
Reviewed 27 October 2017

I found myself taking a day trip to Venice on my own, I had visited previously but still had a few items to tick and Harry's Bar was one of them! It is true unless you know it is there you would never enter which can be good and bad. I entered and was greeted extremely politely. From that moment I felt welcomed, I requested a table and being a lone female thought this would not be possible, how wrong was I. Fantastic table, fantastic Service and a memory which will live with me forever due to the beautiful couple who actually paid my bill for me without me knowing. Such kind people in this world....

2  Thank Julie T
Write a ReviewReviews (2,015)

Reviewed 20 October 2017 via mobile

If you visit Venice and want the "tourist" experience then you can say you had a Bellini there. Be prepared to pay 19€ per drink. The food is overpriced but then again when white peaches are in season at home where you live you can drink the drink knowing you had the original looking out at the Grand Canal (even if you overpaid).

Reviewed 20 October 2017 via mobile

I heard about this bar and restaurant and decided to visit while in Venice. Even though some of the reviews were negative. But, I thought I saw through them. When I arrived I must admit the menu gave me sticker shock. However, the atmosphere and my waiter convinced me to give it a try. Afterwards, I understood. Those who hated the prices felt the need to publicly hate the location. In short, the experience was worth every penny. My prime rib was the best I have ever had. (I am older and have traveled the US and the rest of the world extensively.). Secondly, the staff was a huge part of the overall experience. They do not just take an order and deliver it. They prepare the dish for serving and cater to your movement. I do not know how anyone describes them as arrogant or rude. I watched them all closely. They are true professionals. The manager was just as attentive. Overpriced? Perhaps a little. But, this was a truly amazing dinning experience. Every moment of it. I struck up a conversation with a couple next to me after hearing the lady commenting on their steak tartare. She was so gracious she passed some along on a piece of toast. They both said that was one of the best they have ever been served. Being a typical American I tipped my waiter. He made my evening.

Reviewed 19 October 2017 via mobile

It came highly recommended in a few travel guides I read, but our experience was quite disappointing. Back in the day, this bar was frequented by royals, celebs and movie stars - Ernest Hemingway amongst others - and it was the place where the famous bellini cocktail was invented. Today it is an overpriced bar/restaurant, very plain and not really inviting. We ordered one bellini and one alcohol free version of the house cocktail. They came in a plain glass, with a few olives to go with it. The first cost us 21 euro's (!) and the second - which was nothing more than a soda pop from a bottle - 12 euro's (!). The cocktail was made in bulk, with a pre-made puree and prosecco. Just to compare: later on we went to the five star Kempinski and there it cost 16 euro's, in a nice glass and in a beautiful bar, where I could sit all night.

Reviewed 18 October 2017

Other reviewers are right on: Great Bellinis but a tourist trap, extremely high prices, unremarkable cuisine (relative to the price). Its principal virtue is its history. We had drinks downstairs and later ate dinner upstairs. For a renowned international bar, Harry's surprised us by their inability to mix a good dirty martini; in fact, they were inflexible about it, as the waiter explained, "Let me explain how we make martinis at Harry's bar." The drink came in a shot glass. At dinner, Harry's reminded me of Locke-Ober Restaurant in Boston--very tired décor, waiters in starched linen jackets or aprons, behaving very formally and serving solid but uninspired cuisine at disturbingly high prices (78 Euros in Oct 2017 for calf liver w/polenta). A place you might feel you need to experience once, but not a place where you would dine twice. There are so many superb meals to be had in Italy, it is astonishing that a place like Harry's can stay in business. Equally surprisingly, there are Harry's Bars in the high-end hotel neighborhood's of Rome and other cities. Perhaps it is the cruise ships. Or the persistent romance that Hemingway drank there. Or the renown of Cipriani in New York, the Cipriani family being the founders of Harry's. (Actually, I read that the place Hemingway frequented was the Cipriani hotel in Torcello.) So, go if you must, but don't waste your emotional energy being appalled at the prices.