“Perfect for a romantic dinner”
Review of Osteria Trefanti

Osteria Trefanti
Ranked #36 of 1,610 Restaurants in Venice
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Santa Croce
Reviewed 17 May 2016

An intimate setting, fantastic dishes and a splendid host. I would recommend this to anyone who appreciates fine food served in a romantic, Italian setting.

1  Thank Ratonline

Reviewed 15 May 2016 via mobile

Had an excellent meal with family tonight. Firstly, the staff were excellent. Very helpful, especially with the wine choice, and with explaining the local dishes in very good English. Secondly, the ambience was very warming. The food was uniformly good. My daughter had to have a non-fish meal which they managed effortlessly. Otherwise it was full on fish- turbot excellent, my prawns with curry sauce so tasty, gnocchi with calamari very good. Desserts all good, mine with birthday candle (surprise!) especially. A really enjoyable meal in a very small restaurant.

Reviewed 15 May 2016

We were really disappointed with this restaurant. After checking the reviews on Tripadvisor, I booked a table at 7 on Saturday. The restaurant was empty but was filling up fairly quickly. The service is actually good but food can be cooked much better. A fish plate for 2 was pretty small as all dishes actually. I do not know why but all three fishes were not tasty at all and served without lemon. It seems that they were not fresh and not properly cleared from scales. I asked if the scales were removed and they answered that they did their best. Pretty awkward answer for such a place. The skin was stuck to the fish flesh. I have never experienced that the flesh is stuck to the fish skin. Either the fish was not properly grilled or it was not fresh. If you look for a budget place, this place is not for you, if you look for the quality or quantity, it is not good either. The only thing that we liked in the restaurant was wine. It was first in the list and the only one unfiltered. However, the waiters did not bother themselves to provide a decanter for such type of wine. The toilet was like in a public canteen. There were no paper towels and overall it looked pretty odd.

Reviewed 13 May 2016 via mobile

Very fine seafood, good wines with good advice.

Sea bass and artichoke was a really good combination, very well cooked keeping all the subtle tastes.
We also had the delicious home made gnocchi with baby squids.
I also recommend the shrimps and caramelised salad and berries accompanied by a glass of Moscato Giallo wine.

Excellent and friendly service.
We strongly recommend this very nice little restaurant with a charming atmosphere.
Probably safe to reserve your table.
Will most certainly return there on a next trip to Venezia.

Reviewed 5 May 2016

We arrived early as we had read previous reviews that said this restaurant fills fast. We easily got a table but the restaurant was full by the time we left, even though it was mid week. The food here is very special. My starter of clams and mussels cooked in white wine with herbs was very delicate and delicious. My husband had the scallops cooked in an orange sauce which he described as different and interesting but equally delicious. For main I chose the shrimp with the creamy middle of a mozzarella. It is served with one of the most colourful salads I have seen; it looked a picture and tasted even better. Don't be put off by the word shrimp on the English menu, these were no shrimps but juicy crayfish, bursting with flavour. My only criticism would be that I actually like to see the Italian names of dishes on the menu, a long with the translation, otherwise, how will we ever hope to learn the language? The owner of the restaurant knows his wines and is happy to share his knowledge. The restaurant is small, intimate and offers the finest seafood and wine. A no nonsense bill completed a wonderful evening.