“A pristine modern masterpiece”

Hotel Giudecca Venezia
Ranked #133 of 385 Hotels in Venice
Louisville, Kentucky
“A pristine modern masterpiece”
Reviewed 31 October 2011

I don't know how they managed to accomplish this, but it appears that they have gutted a very old Venetian building and turned the inside into a modern hotel, with all of the amenities. This is our first time staying in a hotel that wasn't in "Venice proper." Water buses were a little tricky out here to Giudecca at first (having been to Venice several times before we thought we could "improvise" with the water buses, bad idea), but once you know the right buses to take, it is easy. Unlike the main island of Venice, where all the touristy stuff is, Giudecca is a neighborhood with real people, the locals who grew up in and live in Venice. And it is so quiet here, unlke the main island. We were there for three days and nights and the only thing I heard outside our window was a boat going by, and only that one time. Air conditioning was a godsend, plumbing was great, lots of hot water, but it took a few minutes to come up. The shower stall was tiny, so large folks may have a problem. The hotel has an elevator, simply unheard of in small hotels in Venice, so this is great for luggage and for people who are physically challenged. The breakfast was awesome, lots of things to chose from. I am a tea drinker, and I only had to order my breakfast tea once, and the lady managing the breakfast room remembered that and remembered me and, bless her heart, she had my tea piping hot, on my table almost before I sat down. She must surely be a mind reader! People didn't much like the coffee machine in the breakfast room, from what I could overhear from the other guests. My tea, though, was delicious and perfect each morning. I would make a trip back to Venice just to stay in this hotel. I very highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: We had a room on the top floor, which was fine. There was an elevator, so it we didn't or could...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Charlene_of_KY

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Turkish first
Uppsala, Sweden
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Hotel is very modern and contemporary in design. Staff were friendly and helpful with excellent English. Breakfast had a good choice of quality ingredients and overall was very good. Room was small but very clean and functional, shower was powerful with ready supply of piping hot water. Free wifi is a nice touch, with reception just about making it to the room.
Giudecca is an excellent place to stay in Venice, away from the hustle and bustle of the main island, but with very frequent 24hr vaparetto service to all parts of Venice and the wider lagoon.
Overall this hotel represents great value for the location and I would not hesitate to recommend.

• Stayed October 2011
3 Thank David B
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 October 2011

I, my wife and a friend have just returned from a 3 day stay at the Domina Home hotel in Venice. My wife had stayed there some 8 years ago and recommended it and now I can endorse that view. It is far and away the best 3 star hotel I have stayed in.

The rooms are modern, well designed and well maintained and the staff excellent; genuinely friendly and helpful.

Breakfast is continental (cereal, croissants, fruit, ham coffee etc) rather than cooked. There is no restaurant in the hotel but there are several within 10 minutes walk.

If you haven't been to Venice before, don't be put off by the fact that the Domina Home is not on the main island's of the town's centre. In fact, it's location on Giudecca is an advantage as we found it very quiet with restaurants nearby that are a little cheaper (and more honest) than those in the centre. You can reach the hotel easily from Marco Polo airport by Blue Line waterbus to Zattere then take the Line 2 east bound to Palanca (about 3 minutes across the canal). The Domina Home is about 5 minutes walk (left from the waterbus stop, over the bridge, 1st or 2nd right down the narrow alley).

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Tony P
Beirut, Lebanon
Reviewed 26 October 2011

Domina is located in a peaceful neighbourhood on the giudecca island at the end of a small alley.
Very nice rooms, good breakfast.
The hotel is near the palanca stop so you don't have to walk that much specially when you have bags.
We spent two nights me and my wife and definitely will come back again.
The only disadvantage is the wifi which is only available in the lobby

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MichelMaya
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 24 October 2011

I’m sorry but I cannot recommend this hotel. The free internet was not available in our room. We informed the staff in the lobby but they could not help us. We ask them kindly to solve the problem but nothing happened. The next morning we kindly ask them again to do something to get the internet up running again. When we returned the following evening we still not got any internet and we contacted the staff in the lobby again but the guy in the lobby was very unfriendly and told us we could sit in an office next to the lobby or use the WI-FI in the lobby and that was it. We called Hotel.com and informed them about our problem. They could not help us and told us that it was not their responsibility if the hotel not could give us what we had paid for. But Hotel.com called the hotel and informed them that we have problems with the internet. After that conversation with Hotel.com the hotel try to fix the internet but they could not fix it and told us that it was now late Friday evening and a technician first could be called after the weekend.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple