“Great location, wonderful hotel”

San Cassiano Residenza d'Epoca Ca' Favretto
Ranked #95 of 385 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed 12 June 2010

My wife and I stayed here during our first ever trip to Venice. The hotel is in an exceptional location being situated right on the Grande Canal and in the heart of Venice. Our room was spacious and clean if a little basic but we really have no complaints. Lovely place to explore this unique city from.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lawmonkey55
Write a ReviewReviews (1,181)

Reviewed 10 June 2010

We first found this hotel on Tripadvisor then discovered that a friend of ours had stayed there 12 times!

We spent 4 nights at the hotel as my 60th birthday treat. Unfortunately due to a burst water pipe we had to spend out first night in a single room with and extra bed. Snug would be the word! The following day we were offered the choice of two rooms, a ground floor overlooking the Grand canal or a top floor room overlooking the courtyard of the hotel. We actually chose the latter to the surprise of the staff because it had more light and was quieter. After all how long do you spend in your room looking out the window? I should also say that the staff carried our suitcases up to our room and, yes, the stairs are steep but at least it worked off some of the extra pounds I put on.

The service was impeccable, friendly, courteous whilst also efficient. Like many posters the highlight is sitting on the deck overlooking the Grand Canal sipping a glass of wine and watching the world go by. The number of tourists who took photos of the hotel from their ferries is testament to its beauty. I think we'll appear on any number of Flickr sites as a result.

Our room was spotless and I think our bathroom had recently been upgraded. Several posters have said the breakfast was a bit monotonous but in reality we found the choice excellent for a four night stay. There was a wide choice of cereals, meats, breads including croissant and fruit with unlimited coffee and juices.

One tip, if you plan ahead you can book a shared taxi from Marco Polo airport with airport@venicelink.com. Its 50 Euros each return which is a steal and they drop you at the hotels landing deck. It really is the only way to arrive and as many other posters have discovered trying to navigate your way round the maze of alley ways when you have no idea of where you are can be a nightmare. Once orientated though finding your way around was easy and the location of the hotel being just 10 minutes easy walk to the Rialto made it a perfect spot whilst still being a quiet oasis.

There were two great restaurants nearby. The Al Nono Risorto has a large outside area is very busy and clearly frequented by the 'locals'. Their menu is entirely in Italian but if you ask nicely the waiting staff will run through it for you in English. You can have Pizzas for about 9 Euros, they have a huge selection but the local sea food dishes are the real attraction and if you want to try real Venetian fare order the Calf liver with onions! Don't bother to order wine by the bottle unless you really want to push the boat out as the house wine in carafes both the red and the white is fine and far cheaper. Note it does not take credit cards. The other was the more upmarket Antico Giardinetto , small but with wonderful service run by a young husband and wife team. As I had booked it in advance and told them the reason they presented us with a complimentary glass of Prosecco on arrival and a candle on my dessert.

We will definitely return to the San Cassiano again.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LewiEngland
Reviewed 30 May 2010

Well, after dragging our bags around for an hour and a half, we finally found this awesome hotel! (NOTE: Don’t arrive on a day where they are having a rowing race in Venice. The water taxis don’t run or you have to wait a few hours until they are back in action.) We arrived sweaty, tired, and dehydrated, but glad to finally be at our destination! The hotel is beautiful inside. Our room was GORGEOUS and overlooked the canal. I felt like I was in the Venice of the 1700s or something with the way it was decorated inside. It’s exactly what I think a hotel in Venice should look like.

The staff was great! They were smiley and helpful, providing maps and places to eat without any hesitation or trouble. (As in, if they were on the phone they got off, we didn’t have to wait until they finished a conversation among themselves etc.) We didn’t have any problems with the hotel at all.

Also, they have a small patio, which looks out onto the canal. It was simply lovely to sit out there after a long day of walking around and have some wine and relax. I would LOVE to stay here again and I would recommend it to anyone who is traveling to Venice!!

NOTE: You can take a water taxi back to the train station, but it will cost you 50 euros. The ferry is three bridges away (about a 10 minute walk) and only costs 6.50 euros. This is DEFINITELY a better choice. While the hotel offers to call a taxi, they have no problem showing you where the ferry is, so don’t be afraid to ask!

Enjoy this gem in Venice!

Reviewed 20 May 2010

Have just returned from a two night stay at this hotel to coincide with my birthday.

Having arrived at the bus station from Treviso Airport we caught the ferry ACTV up to the Rialto stop. This helped with finding the hotel as we passed it on our right-hand side which gave us an idea of the direction to head. Having crossed over the Rialto Bridge we followed the water and then uncovered the back alley leading to the entrance. It is not well signposted until you are on top of it.

We left our luggage as we were early and the room was not ready and set out to explore straight away. Upon our return we were shown to our room on the second floor (215). I had said it was my birthday when booking so asked for a nice room. Unfortunately, although the room was a good size it was very dark and had absolutely no view due to the fact that it was down the alley. The building next door to us was being renovated which meant it was very noisy. Luckily we had ear plugs with us for the flight which I slept with both nights. It was also extremely hot (26 degrees at night). When we mentioned to the concierge that the air conditioning didn't work he said it was the law in Venice that you cannot use it until the 1st June. There was no mention of this in the room!! (Not sure if that is the case as another review said how efficient it was).

Breakfast was your standard continental fare which is fine. It is served on the second floor. We were very fortunate to find a free table on the balcony over the Grand Canal as I got up for my birthday which was a bonus. We had taken some champagne with us for the occasion, but when we spoke to the desk staff were told we could only drink it in our room (dark and dreary) so took it out with us and enjoyed a far more impressive view.

I cannot fault the location of the hotel once you have been out and about. We had a lovely time despite the fact that it did not live up to our expectations. We have stayed in some fantastic hotels over the years, but I would say this was a good 3* rather than a 4*.

We will definitely revisit Venice but will be staying elsewhere.

1  Thank EssexLove2travel
Reviewed 16 May 2010

We went to Venice to celebrate my birthday and it was the best birthday... EVER! I chose San Cassiano Residenza d'Epoca Ca'Favretto because of the description 'converted palazzo', 'antique murano glass chandeliers' and 'overlooking the grand canal'. It didn't disappoint! We were lucky enough to get a room overlooking the Grand Canal on our first night and it was gorgeous, amazing views and absolutely perfect. Although we only had it for one night the room we spent the other two nights in was just as comfortable - with another gorgeous chandelier.

Venice has always been somewhere I'd dreamt of going to and it didn't disappoint in the slightest. Top tip would be to take a good pair of comfortable shoes as you'll be doing a lot of walking - but that's perfect to walk off all that gorgeous Venetian food!!! Also, if you get a chance, go to Ca'Doro a beautiful palazzo with great views and lovely courtyard garden and the Peggy Guggenheim museum.