“Authentic experience”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Santa Croce
Reviewed 7 November 2017 via mobile

This place has an Italian pace(allow at least an hour for the meal) , do not expect fast food service, it is a typical trattoria. We went for both lunchtime, we had a squid ink spaghetti, razor clams and fried seafood dish, prosecco, and afternoon drinks when we had cicheti- bacalao and cream, beef tendon, fried octopus, aperol spritz, and other items. The food is average, the ambience is relaxed, authentic, price is fair for Venice,it is a tourist hotbed so it is as expected.

Reviewed 17 October 2017 via mobile

We were recommended this restaurant and it was very good. Maria is very welcoming and speaks English French and Spanish I believe. The food was excellent. I had the Venetian goulash with polenta which was lovely. Excellent proper Prosecco went down very well. Would definitely recommend.

Reviewed 9 October 2017

We walked by this spot several times and loved it's warm, cozy, historic vibe so we decided to have dinner one night. Love the books, books all along one of the walls where we happened to be sitting, so we looked at lots of them! Service was excellent. We so enjoyed the special that night, a pasta which used strawberries with only a few tomatoes in the sauce! Yes, that's right, not a typo! Apparently, historically, tomatoes were sometimes scarce, and if it was the season for strawberries, they were used in the sauce - it was absolutely delicious and the strawberries were subtle, not overpowering! There also was crab in this dish, which can be sweet, but the dish was beautifully balanced. We also had the mussels with spaghetti - the mussels were already out of the shells, which made for a more convenient dish for the consumer - very delicious, perfectly prepared. The house red wine was also delicious!

Reviewed 7 October 2017 via mobile

If you are looking for something that feels like a home cooked Venetian meal plan then come here! The feel of the room reminds you an classic Italian kitchen (complete with a cute random dog). I had a tagliette that was a recipe from the 1700s. The main owner felt like she could have been my grandmother, even making fun of not eating enough. Highly recommend this place.

Reviewed 7 September 2017 via mobile

We weren't planning on doing any TripAdvisor reviews till we got home, it's our honeymoon and we thought we'd do them all once we're back in UK. But as my new husband snoozes next to me post-lunch in Osteria Alba Nova Dalla Maria I had to review, if only so no one misses out on this gem of a restaurant!

We're staying in Santa Croce and had walked past here a few times, we were adamant we wanted to try it as we love local cuisine when we're on holiday and it looked like it ticked all the boxes.

Well....it surpasses them. What a fantastic place. The hostess Maria is just lovely, passionate and knowledgeable about her food and a pleasure to meet.

We started with gnocchi with butter and sage, and spaghetti with clams. Best food we've had all trip, flavourful, seasoned perfectly and the gnocchi were handmade and light as a feather. Just fabulous. To follow my husband had mixed fried fish and I went for cuttlefish with black ink and polenta. Mind-blowingly good. It was a privilege to eat such good and traditional local food. We were too stuffed for dessert until we saw Sgroppino, light lemon sorbet with grappa and prosecco. Our friendly waiter advised us to stir well so we mixed up the alcohol (!) with the sorbet and it was incredible.

Having looked on TripAdvisor I see the restaurant should have closed at 2.30, we were there well beyond 3pm and were never rushed. We also would have paid anything for food of this calibre and it turned out, with wine, beer and a spritz to be the most affordable meal we had.

If you're in Venice, go, immediately! It's not far from Santa Lucia train station and you will not regret it.

Thank you to Maria, best meal of our honeymoon and I'm already planning a return for our first anniversary!

1  Thank Lucy O