“Great beer.”

Hopfen & Co
Ranked #36 of 416 Restaurants in Bolzano
Cuisines: Austrian, German, Italian, Brew Pub
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 25 June 2017

The 5 star rating is because of the beer. The food we ordered (grilled sausages, sauerkraut and potatoes and potato dumplings) was satisfying, not great, but the dark beer was enough for me to give this place the highest rating. The staff was not warm and welcoming at first, but opened up as we chatted with them. They were particularly proud of their Bozner beer, which is brewed on premises. The restaurant is in a nice setting and seemed like a place where the locals liked to gather. If I ever return to Bolzano this will be the first place I head to for a meal.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,957)

Reviewed 18 June 2017

If it’s beer you’re after - you have the right place. The food on the other hand proved to be a bit “hit-and-miss”.

All of the beers I tried, (and I tried them all!), proved to be delicious. Apart that is from the Weiss beer I had one night, which was perilously close to being “off”. I loved their dark beer which was up there with the best I have ever tasted.

Food? Well they deserve a thumbs-up for being open on Sunday. I was surprised at how many Bolzano establishments closed Sunday. So as we had drank here on a couple of occasions - why not give the food a go? So I ordered my favourite - the classic “Weisswurst” with sweet mustard and pretzel. Now you’d have to go some way to screw this up. It’s hardly “gourmet” fodder but it is (IMHO) undeniably delicious. My wife may have made the wrong choice, when choosing her “spätzle”. She chose the “Hopfen Pan” which turned out to be €2 more expensive than the house spätzle - but possibly worse. What she was expecting was the Tyrolean favourite, with lots of stringy cheese and strong flavours. What she got was spätzle but in a watery, fairly tasteless sauce. Again, it wasn’t bad enough to send back but it was pretty bland. The bottom line is that she left most of it - through sheer boredom.

Service was patchy and, (if you like that sort of thing), entertaining at times. There was a great deal of “banter” between staff members - some of it light-hearted but occasionally there was a hint of malice. This became more apparent, the busier it got. Don’t get me wrong, it wasn’t open warfare but it’s not pleasant to witness staff bickering.

Still - what do you expect? It’s the closest thing you’ll get in Bolzano to a good old-fashioned English pub and whether or not you consider that a good or bad thing...is up to you.

Reviewed 16 May 2017

A lovely place for a beer, especially sitting outside. Don't bother with food though, since it is expensive and complete with slow service.

Reviewed 11 May 2017

Lovely dining room on first floor, extremely friendly service, beers brewed on the premises to match all the food, delicious local specialities, very hearty but we still squeezed in an Apfel Strudel

Reviewed 7 May 2017 via mobile

Charming convoluted building. Great beer. Disappointed with the food. Loveless talentless presentation, no flair. Demotivated service.