“Italian macelleria : the real deal”

Macelleria Equina Da Vito
Ranked #6 of 8,979 Restaurants in Milan
Price range: US$7 - US$35
Reviewed 16 September 2017

Being tipped off by our young adult kids with a good appetite, we found this meat market + restaurant (i.e., tables scattered around the main meat counter with neon lights) off the beaten track. The variety of horse & donkey meat was huge, and for those not fond of horse/donkey meat, there was a slightly smaller selection of beef. Apprehensive at first about having to drink from plastic glasses, we were saved by getting a bottle of lovely red wine (without the price margin that restaurants would normally sell it at) accompanied by real glasses. Some of us were also given a proper (non-plastic) knife. When realizing just how typical and Italian this place was, we were sooo relieved to come across a lovely young women whom we called the “Tripadvisor girl", who guided us through the whole process in perfect English with big smiles. It was just a lovely evening for us all.

Reviewed 27 July 2017 via mobile

Took me few minutes by city bike to get to this local gem. The moment I arrived I got a little bit stressed as the place was full of Italians, no signs in English and the selection of food was large and quite complicated. After my best attempt at ordering in Italian, I was assisted by a lovely woman which spoke fluent English, and she helped me through the process and recommend some dishes. Had six dishes of meat including steaks, tartar and sausages which all was cooked to perfection. With large beer (660ml) the price was only €19.

9  Thank Einar B
Reviewed 12 July 2017 via mobile

Fresh meat, seriousness and professionalism characterize Vito's butchery in the heart of the Giambellino district. To try!!

Reviewed 9 July 2017 via mobile

We were very curious to eat at this place since it's quite rare for a butcher shop whose specialty is horse meat to offer also dining services. Well, we are glad that we gave it a try. It's located in a community market, not difficult to find packing places around at Thursday and Friday nights when they provide dinners. The raw meat is really fantastic, a lot of variety to choose. We ordered 7 types of tartar, carpaccio with black truffle, 3 kinds of sausages, rolls with cheese filling and 3 types of marinated chops. They were all very tasty, although I personally liked the raw meat better. Surprisingly the tiramisu was so good that we made the second order. It was so packed after 8:30/9:00pm, reservation is definitely recommended.

4  Thank Pandotto
Reviewed 7 May 2017

This restaurant is actually a butcher with extremely fresh horse and donkey meat. They make everything homemade, including tartar, sausages, skewers, steaks, and side dishes. The way it works, is you buy your meat from the butcher (8-15 euros a kilo) and then pay 6 euros for them to cook it (includes beer/wine, bread, delicious sidedish). There was a very friendly lady who spoke english and guided me through the whole process.

All in all, I ate tartar, sausage, a steak, tons of bread, a beer, the most amazing zuchini sidedish I've ever had and paid 9 euros (est. 300 grams of meat).

Highly recommend but if you have time and can travel a bit outside the city it is very worth it!

3  Thank richardblaser