“Really good city break”

Hotel Dei Cavalieri
Ranked #105 of 428 Hotels in Milan
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Myself and two friends have just come back from a 3 night trip to Milan over Easter and found this hotel a gem.From our arrival to check out the reception staff night and day were friendly ,helpful and good humoured.We had a little issue with the lay out of the beds (triple) and once raised at reception it was sorted within 15 minutes..Check out the roof top terrace-really relaxing and great views over the city .As in most bars you will be treated to some lovely little dishes (aperitivo) I 'd heard about the tradition before I arrived but I hadn't expected the quality or quantity of the fantastic little nibbles.Location is great 5 minutes stroll from the Duomo which we also used as a starting point for out two day hop on hop off bus tours (really good value at 25 euro for two days). Breakfast was plentiful and a good variety..All in all we really enjoyed our stay at this hotel and would stay there again for sure.

Room Tip: Get down to breakfast by 8.15 to avoid the que.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank GingerGeri

Reviewed 13 April 2014

PROS:

- CHARMING ROOM. It was of a nice size (especially for a European hotel). My room had three windows in the main area, and one window in the bathroom, so it was lovely to have the fresh air and natural light. The furnishings were a little old, but it was still lovely, overall. The bathroom was big and lovely, with a good-sized bathtub/shower combo.

- LOCATION. This hotel is 2 blocks from Il Duomo, something that saved me, considering I was in Milan on a weekend. On Saturdays and Sundays, almost everything is closed, which is quite inconvenient for a traveler; however, Il Duomo is such a big tourist attraction that there were restaurants and stores open in that area, which made things a little easier. Also, the hotel is on the Piazza de Missori, where there is a metro stop and a tram stop, making it a little easier to get around the city.

- FRIENDLY RECEPTION. When I arrived, the staff was kind and friendly with me. They also ensured that I understood our location on the map and how easily I could get to Il Duomo. I saw some other reviews in which the writers expressed dissatisfaction with the service; I think the hotel management has taken those comments to heart. I felt very welcome.

CONS:

- INTERNET ACCESS. It worked, but sometimes it was a little slow. Still, this issue was not bad enough to prevent me from staying there again, and I highly depend on Internet access in order to do my work from abroad.

- TRAFFIC NOISE. As I mentioned above, the hotel's location is excellent, next to a metro stop and a tram stop, and close to Il Duomo. Though that's convenient, the downside is that there is a significant amount of noise from the trams and traffic. My room was on the second floor and overlooked the tram stop. As a result, the noise level was very elevated, and it was almost intolerable on the first night. Thankfully, I had some earplugs with me, which was the only way I was able to get some sleep that first night. After that night, however, I became accustomed to the noise level, and I was able to sleep without them after that.

- ROOM/RESTAURANT SERVICE: I was really surprised at the very limited restaurant and room service available in this hotel. It was clearly not designed with travelers in mind. Room service is only available when the restaurant was open--from 7pm to 11pm. A few cold sandwiches or snacks were available at the bar at midday, but that was it. It was really inconvenient, especially for a business traveler, for whom it may not always be convenient to leave the hotel to get lunch at a local cafe or restaurant. When you compound that to the fact that many of the restaurants in the area are closed on weekends, and the situation becomes inconvenient for a business traveler. The hotel management really needs to rethink their room service options and offer a 24-hour service.

Overall, I would stay there again in the future, but it would be ideal if they would tweak these things to make this hotel more ideal for a business traveler.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 April 2014

Rooms were dirty and I even had ants in my room. Mattresses and pillows not comfortable at all.

Even though the location is great, the services were very poor and the
reception staff are full of attitude.

Definitely no value for money as they are just charging you for their location.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank SMRALS
Reviewed 3 April 2014 via mobile

Passed one night on a business trip.
Clean, good breakfast, functioning toilet and quite roomy, remembering the European tendency to cut space.

Except the lack of a parking spot, extremely recommended.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 April 2014

My cousin and I stayed four nights in this hotel and were very impressed. Our twin-bedded room was spotless, of reasonable size with a small but more than adequate bathroom and with ample storage/wardrobe space.Towels (of which there were more than enough) were of a good quality and changed daily and bedlinen was changed twice in four days.
Staff - reception, breakfast room, bar, cleaners - were, without exception, courteous, friendly and helpful.
The breakfast was plentiful, catering to all tastes and appetites and was frequently replenished by the attentive staff; we had our evening meal on the first night in the hotel dining room and were more than satisfied with the choice and cost of the menu.
The star feature, though, is the hotel's location - just 5 minutes from the Duomo and within easy walking distance of all the major sights and attractions.
Don't be put off by some of the negative reviews: if you have a problem, just ask! We recommend this hotel highly and wouldhappily stay there again.
An excellent restaurant just down the road (Corso di Porta Romana) is L'Isola del Tesoro,very well frequented by locals and visitors alike where we enjoyed excellent food at very reasonable prices on our last two evenings. The place buzzes!

Room Tip: We requested and were given a rear facing room to avoid the noise of the trams.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends