“Charming and Welcoming Gallery!”

Paul DEMARIA - The Open Lake & Landscape Studio d’Arte
Ranked #9 of 18 things to do in Varenna
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Open afternoons and evenings April thru October (and happily by appointment in the mornings or during the Off-Season). We have a permanent display of original oil paintings for Paul Demaria Guaitamacchi collectors worldwide featuring landscapes, still lifes and paintings of Lake Como in the many possible settings and seasons. Our prices include our Florentine frames, all taxes/fees and international shipping is free of charge. We are pleased to offer complimentary wine and snacks with all painting purchases. Feel free to check out our website to view our available paintings (marked by a Green Dot), and client testimonials and to contact us if you have any questions! (Private viewings are available. Please contact us for an appointment.)
Reviewed 20 October 2017

This is a charming and welcoming gallery. You won't regret stopping in to view the beautiful oil paintings by talented local artist Paul DeMaria. There are many scenes of Italy as well as other subjects. The artist's wife handles the gallery and is friendly, helpful and of course knowledgeable about the paintings. I felt no pressure to make a purchase while I was enjoying viewing the paintings and the delightful gallery. I am so happy to have this unique memory of my trip to Varenna, If you are traveling to Lake Como I definitely urge you to visit this gallery.

Paul Demaria G, Owner at Paul DEMARIA - The Open Lake & Landscape Studio d’Arte, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2017

Hello, Stina. Thank you so much for this lovely review. My apologies for not responding sooner. We are in the midst of the closing weeks of the gallery for the 2017 season. (After November 1st , we will be open “by appointment only” during the winter months until the beginning of April of 2018.) But thank you for your kind words about your experience in our humble little “art studio”. I remember when you were there and how you really allowed yourself some time to look at all the paintings in a relaxed way. It is always nice for me to witness people enjoying Paolo’s work. I hope you will come see us again the next time you are on Lake Como and in our delightful village of Varenna. Warmly, Melita

All reviews
"delivery"
"bellagio"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed 16 October 2017

We just wondered into this adorable gallery during our visit to the Como lake. Such a memorable find - excellent art collection and friendly and stimulating conversations with the owner.

We finished buying a nice piece of art that now found its permanent home in California. We will always cherish this piece that reminds us about our trip to Como. It is on our wall as a beautiful dream about possibility of dreamy life at the lake!

Paul Demaria G, Owner at Paul DEMARIA - The Open Lake & Landscape Studio d’Arte, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2017

Hello, Marina! What a nice surprise to hear from you and to receive this lovely review. Grazie mille (a thousand thanks). Your enthusiasm for art (and life) is truly infectious. I am so glad that you and Dwayne found your way to our art studio on that beautiful September day and that you found a Varenna scene of Paolo's that will hopefully bring you fond memories of your recent time here (until you can return and become our "Lake Como" neighbors one day soon, I hope). Until then, I send you our warmest regards. (From Melita)

Reviewed 21 September 2017

What a find this gallery is! Varenna is so refreshing after the hustle and bustle of Bellagio. Happening upon the gallery, located just off the main square, added immensely to our enjoyment of Varenna. Paul DeMaria is truly a gifted artist and many of his pieces are of museum quality. Whether you are just hunting for a memory of your visit to Lake Como or are a serious art collector, his paintings will give you what you want at fair prices. Although we did not purchase anything on this visit, it was a pleasure to visit the gallery and we will return.

Paul D, Owner at Paul DEMARIA - The Open Lake & Landscape Studio d’Arte, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2017

Oh, Paul. Thank you, thank you, thank you for this delightful review. You said you were thinking of writing one, and you did! I remember well when you visited our humble little art gallery in Varenna. I enjoyed speaking with you and am so pleased to hear your kind words of appreciation for Paolo’s work. I hope you will come see us again here in our charming little village of Varenna on your next sojourn to Lake Como. With warm regards, Melita

Reviewed 18 August 2017

Dear Melita,
The day came all so quickly and efficiently. With bated breath we hurriedly (but carefully) undid your excellently dispatched package. Nothing could have gone wrong with that packaging!!!
What was revealed sent a gush of excitement and oh so fond memories of the spectacular visit to Varenna and your gallery. The "Varenna tra i cipressi" painting, softly but with warm intensity expressed the surrounding beauty and warmth of Varenna.
As you promised, a newly vanished exceptional vivid portrayal of Varenna stood before us. What a memorable treasure it is, in excellent condition.
Thank you Melita for making this, our first purchase (trust not the last) so completely care free and with such integrity.
We will jealously keep it here hung in the one room, used by all (when we all get together) but know it will eventually go to our dear son and his beautiful Danneka, together, who made this fairytale trip come true. Every time we gaze in awe at the work, we are so warmly reminded of such a life enduring experience. Such an incredible fortunate thing to have found you and then to find such a beautiful oil, that includes the Villa Monastera,where the lovely couple were married. This is a painting highlighting the events for generations to come!!. THANK YOU Paulo and Melita.,BOTH.
We quickly found a ,"Prosecco", to enjoy with the lovely couple, and to salute you Paulo, (and your magnificent , rare talent).
Only thing left to do is organize the lighting to highlight such magnificent artistry.
Again, our very best to you both and may you continue to bring so much joy to others through your wonderful works.
Robert & Janet

Paul Demaria G, Owner at Paul DEMARIA - The Open Lake & Landscape Studio d’Arte, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2017

Oh, Robert. What a joy to discover this eloquent and expressive review. It is almost poetic. I think you missed your calling being the wine "biz". Writing is your real gift. Paolo and I could feel your passion come through as we read it and are so flattered and so very happy to know that your experience, from walking into our humble little art studio in Varenna with Janet, to hanging your painting on the wall in your home "down under", was so pleasant and satisfyling. Thank you so much for sharing these thoughts. I so enjoyed meeting all the key members of the wedding party, including the happy couple themselves and Paolo and I are honored to have contributed to a lasting memory of that historical summer event in our charming medieval village by way of a painting. We hope that gazing upon the scene will tempt you to return to our part of the world soon. With warmest regards, Melita.

See more reviews
Reviewed 5 August 2017

What a lovely surprise walking into this gallery. The warm welcoming. from Melita and Paolo's exceptional paintings.
After a long time chatting and admiring the art, our eyes kept being drawn to an enchanting still life of aubergines( egg plants).
Melita was happy to let us take a photo so we could have a think before purchasing.
A few months on and here I sit in Australia in frount of our beautiful painting, which to our surprise arrived within a week of money transaction.
We are sooo happy with our purchase and will always be reminded of a genuine and unforgettable experience. Thank you Melita and Paolo

Paul Demaria G, Owner at Paul DEMARIA - The Open Lake & Landscape Studio d’Arte, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2017

Oh, Janine. What a lovely surprise to read this review!! Thank you so much for your kind words of your and Warwick's impressions of your time in our little gallery in Varenna and of your experience in acquiring your lush still life. Your chose a rather unique and "hauntingly beautiful" piece of Paolo's, in my humble opinion. And I'm glad to know that the image lingered in your minds for a day or two, helped along by your photo of it. We are 'so pleased' that you are 'so pleased'. I hope that you two are able to return to Lake Como again soon and to our charming village of Varenna. And in the meantime, I hope your own painting experience continues to blossom and grow. I tried very hard to find your Facebook page, but without success. Perhaps you can send us a link or a friend request at ours, "Paul Demaria". Grazie mille, Melita