All reviews best western hotel train station air conditioning san giovanni station minute walk nice hotel cold meats old town base to explore town centre the hotel staff convenient location buffet breakfast room was large yogurt shower lake
Reviewed 15 July 2018

On this trip have chosen hotels close to the train stations, so this was our choice for 3 nights. It is close to the station, but not that much closer than some other hotels in the old/centre of town. I did see a couple of them we had considered and wished we had chosen them. I think this hotel is more suited to travellers with cars as it is away from the lakeside and the best restaurants etc, and would be easy to access by vehicle. I did notice at breakfast that a lot of the guests seemed to be on business. No problem at all with the hotel itself or the staff.... and for 3 euro for the breakfast we managed to fill ourselves up before heading out, it was just the extra distance to anything of interest a couple of times a day...in the heat.
If you are in Como for a few days (and it is worth doing that, really cool place to hang out) there are places closer to the lake and the old centre that are still comfortable walking distance to the train station.

Stayed: June 2018
2  Thank Mangereman
Reviewed 13 July 2018 via mobile

Three stars? Really? If this dark and dingy little room is 3 stars, then I would hate to see 2 stars. I would NOT recommend this hovel, er, uh, hotel. The air conditioner was inadequate, the in-room “safe” was smaller than a kid’s shoe box and everything was noisy. The beds were hard as rocks and so were the pillows. We were there for two days and I needed a chiropractor after the second night.

The breakfast was pretty awful, too. I don’t eat eggs, but according to my travel companion they were “nasty”. The sausage was so-so, the fresh fruit was do-it-yourself, there was one coffee machine for everyone, including us tea drinkers, and there was only white bread for toast. There was a tart, but it needed a power saw to cut, and the only saving grace on the breakfast line was the croissants. At least they had Earl Grey teabags (but no teapots ☹️).

Never so glad to leave a place in my life. Oh, and what is with putting twin beds right next to each other? I don’t want to roll over in the night and hit my friend in the face, so please move the beds apart!!!!!

One star because the staff was friendly, even though every time we used our key they had to re-program it.

If you are traveling on the cheap, I guess this place will do, but if you want a decent hotel, choose somewhere else.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 July 2018 via mobile

Stayed here because of an event we needed to attend in Como that night.

Albeit not in a very nice area, location wise the hotel is pretty convenient as it is just minutes away from train station, ferry pier and many restaurants/venues.

Hotel’s ground is pretty basic and so was the room we were assigned. Even if furniture and bathroom are outdated and in need of some renovation, everything was clean and tidy.

Our only but big issue was with hot water: it wasn’t working at all.

We wanted to shower right upon arrival prior to attending the event.

We informed front desk that water wasn’t working properly. It was not just not hot enough: it didn’t come out at all.
Agent claimed he needed to check the issue personally and would have come to the room (which is fine) but this took him almost 1 hour as he was the only one managing the front desk and couldn’t leave it.

After acknowledging the issue (and being very apologetic) he said he would have shared the situation with the principal.

He then informed us that a plumber would have come to fix the issue but timing was unknown.
At that point we requested to get another room but we were declined as that night was full house.

Within the next hour plumber didn’t show up (and anyway we wouldn’t have known how long it was going to take fixing it)
We had no alternative than leave and be hosted by friends staying in another hotel to have a shower.

When we got back later that night (guess 1AM) hopefully hot water was flowing properly.

Upon checking out, as no one proactively offered any compensation, I mentioned the incident and the agent just stated “it was promptly fixed”.
To me not fixing an issue within 3 hours since we raised it isn’t really promptly. To what I knew it could have been fixed 6 hours later but anyway we were forced to take shower at another place.

In a very condescending way he then removed a whopping 10€ out of a 140€ bill.

It would have been a much better customer service to leave a note in the room the night before saying sorry and maybe comped breakfast or anything else.

10€ seems more insulting than anything.
Will stay somewhere else next time

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2018

A rather run down hotel alongside a busy road. Reasonably close to San Giovanni railway station and walking distance to the lake.
We were most disappointed with the service - having notified in advance a 'gluten free' diet requirement and reminded at check in, the offer at breakfast was very poor. Having been assured it would be sorted for the following day - no improvement.
Room was small and decor made it feel quite claustrophobic.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 July 2018 via mobile

No frills hotel well situated to explore Como. Parking outside hotel costs 12 euros per day. Hotel underground parking costs 10 euros per day but is allocated on a first come first served basis and fills up quickly. Rooms are basic but clean, staff are friendly and the breakfast is adequate (3 euros per head additional charge). Easy to find by car, ideal for those looking for a low priced base to explore Como.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple