All reviews lake como a lake view room marble staircase small pool half board high ceilings car ferry excellent location the hotel staff triple room st moritz modern bathroom croissants breakfast and dinner old world a lovely stay sun loungers
Reviewed 15 October 2018 via mobile

What’s not to love about Bellagio on Lake Como. This was our 2nd visit to Bellagio it is just so beautiful. We did a day trip from Milan. Train to Varenna then across on the ferry. We had lunch at a table on the lake at the Excelsior Splendide. My hubby had the seafood pasta and I had salmon spaghetti. Both meals were delicious. Friendly service, it was very busy in Bellagio with lots of tourists. Our meals with 2 beers and water euros 48.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 October 2018

This is a 3 star hotel. If you want something more upmarket then book somewhere far more expensive or see if George Clooney will put you up in his Villa.

We had a room overlooking the lake, the location is good and the view was fantastic, particularly first thing in the morning. The room we had (third floor) was spacious and airy. A fridge would have been good as would a screen for the bath/shower.

The Hotel is big and open with a wonderful staircase, Reception service was good. Maids/cleaning was excellent but special praise for the restaurant staff who were as helpful and friendly as could be. The food was what you expect in a 3 star hotel, although the scrambled eggs were wonderful. The timeframe as another reviewer said should be wider.

The pool area was nice with sufficient loungers. However getting into the unheated water was challenging to put it mildly!

A previous reviewer complained that there was no wifi. We were able to get it in reception and restaurant. Best advice is turn your phone off enjoy the view and chill

Would we go again- yes.

Room tip: Front of hotel overlooking the lake
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank MrMan57
Reviewed 7 October 2018

The top 4 reasons to avoid this hotel are:
1) Wifi does not work anywhere
2) Air con has to be adjusted by the hotel. You can't manually adjust in your room
3) Customer service is unfriendly. Management need training on cultural awareness
4) It is so noisy – you will not get any sleep and the beds are hard so your back hurts

It is safe to say, a lot of us envision Lake Como as a place where people with good taste visit. Como has beautifully decorated hotels, elegant dining options, and fabulous shopping. All of those things I experienced in Bellagio – except a worthy hotel stay. I will admit, that when you arrive in the lobby of the hotel the interior design is so detailed and elegant; the wrap around staircase and ceiling are ornate and catch your attention, it is truly a very beautiful Italian ambience when you walk in.
However, a beautiful lobby is not enough for me to give a hotel a good review and it came down to many situations where the hotel staff did not make an effort to resolve during my four day stay. Bellagio is so small, all the hotels are close by, so don’t let the location of this hotel be your deciding factor to ignore my comments about their service and lack of quality. Trust me, I have traveled to nearly 30 countries and have a good knowledge of what to expect from a variety of hotels and lodging options. This hotel does not meet any level of quality in my opinion. The room was dirty, the bathroom shower was not cleaned when I arrived, nor when cleaning staff cleaned my room – they only changed sheets, towels and toiletries. This is not a 2-star hotel, nor is it a bed and breakfast but that is the quality and standard it exuded because of the service and lack of cleanliness. I expect a higher level of quality when I pay this much Euro for a hotel.
To summarize, my air con was turned on in the room when I arrived and it was 8 celsius outside, but I could not manually changed the setting so I had to call the hotel front desk –twice during my stay about this and they have to turn it on/off manually. Also, the wifi almost never worked. It didn’t work in the room even thought the hotel advertises it does. It will not work in the restaurant, but every once in awhile it worked sometimes in the cold lobby. I mentioned this every day to the staff and every time a different excuse and rude attitude. I need wifi to work and I also am traveling solo and send messages home to family to let them know I am ok – but I was unable to do that here without wifi. Also, the noise is unbearable. The hotel is across from the ferry which comes early and late evening, so lots of cars and foot traffic. Also the restaurant across the street has karaoke until late so you hear everyone singing. When I told the hotel front desk (Sergio) that I could not sleep he said he can do nothing and talk to the manager in the morning. I spoke to the manager Mary and her solution was to tell me to go to another hotel – how impolite. She did nothing during my stay to resolve this and never asked how my stay was. I observed similar treatment to another American traveler and saw the front desk staff being aggressive and rude to that man. When I was in the lobby, the staff were arguing with him about his passport when he had given it to them all along. However, every time an Italian guest of the hotel walked past the hotel lobby staff they would say hello, and have conversations. It was obvious non-speaking Italian guests were treated more politely by the front desk staff. During check out I politely said something about these issues and the Manager Mary raised her voice and argued with me. She was completely insensitive and did nothing to try and make me feel welcome at the hotel. In my opinion this hotel is not suitable for business travelers or people who depend on wifi. Also, it is expensive for the quality of room and service you receive. I would go to any other hotel in Como Bellagio.

Room tip: they say they have wifi but it does not work anywhere in the hotel
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 3 October 2018

The hotel itself is in a great location, we had a room at the front with a lake view. The room we stayed in was very spacious with lovely modern shower room. There is a garden area on the second floor with loungers and a pool which was a real bonus. The approach could have been better as I think we walked past staff quarters with cigarette butts on the floor and some old plastic tatty furniture. Ideally it would have been nice had the pool area had a drinks bar. The restaurant is very underwhelming so even though we had paid half board we only ate in there once. The food was nice enough but a small uninviting room with no view or atmosphere. The timeframe for breakfast and dinner is very small, breakfast finishes too early for a holiday so we didn’t make it.

Room tip: The best rooms are overlooking the lake with a balcony.
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 September 2018

My family and I had lunch in the waterside restaurant of this hotel. The restaurant is split into two areas and we were celebrating our 30th anniversary, so we went to the better menu one on the lake front. Great views. Food was good, but not as amazing as we thought it would be for the price we paid. They catered for my diet well, but the waiter could have been friendlier. The views were memorable.

Date of stay: August 2018