Last week, while on a week-long holiday in Italy, my partner and I arrived in Bellagio with the plan to find someplace central (as he's currently on crutches for a knee injury) but relatively inexpensive, with the plan to spend 3 nights there seeing the sights and relaxing. We came upon the Hotel Europa, a small two-story building with about 8 double rooms, all with small balconies, situated behind their small restaurant / house. For 70 euro a night for the room (80 including breakfast) we booked in, particularly as it was very central. These are perhaps the only good things about the place.
The bad things:
- The beds are uncomforatble, and may have bedbugs since we were very itchy every night. The itchiness went as soon as we left. Coincidence? I think not
- There is no air conditioning, and it was very hot. We had to keep the balcony door open at night which had bad consequences: a) they have a pet cat which sat outside and howled all night, perhaps wanting to get in and b) they live literally next door to the bell tower of a church which started ringing at 7am and rang every half hour all day from then on. LOUDLY.
- The light in the bathroom was broken - I mentioned it to the proprietess but it was not fixed
- The owner - i found her to be a penny pinching and totally lacking in hospitality. 3 examples as follows:
1) they did not replace our towels for 2 days. Now, I am all for being environmentally friendly and re-using towels as much as possible, but after the second day the towels were obviously dirty so we left them on the floor as well as our pillow case covers (as there is no air conditioning, we were sweating all night) so they could be changed. The owner GAVE OUT to us and said they have a policy of only replacing bedclothes and towels every 3 days, that we should not have left them on the floor to be changed. I said they were dirty, she said "what, you don't wash? is that why they're dirty?". I was just speechless. I have never been spoken to so rudely by someone in the "hospitality" industry.
2) on the night before we left, we explained we would have to be up at 7am to leave, and as they have a very small parking lot where our car was blocked in the previous 2 nights, we asked if we could move it to a more easily accessible place to ensure we could leave on time. She said no we couldn't, and it "wasn't her problem" if we were blocked in and couldn't get out.
3) On the third morning after breakfast (which consisted of gone-off kiwi fruits, packaged croissants, and coffee - for 5 euro per person!) we went back to the room, which had already been cleaned. The owner obviously thought we had left, as the lights were off (we were taking a nap as we had been woken up by the cat all night). An hour or so later she used the key to come into the room - seeing we were there she quickly shut and locked the door and hurried down the stairs. What was she coming into our room for??
The thing that got me the most was that we were friendly and unassuming and even thanked her for the stingy breakfast, only to be treated with hostility and rudeness. I am still amazed she has stayed in business with that attitude. I'd definitely advise everyone to LOOK ELSEWHERE!!
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your Albergo Europa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Europa Hotel Bellagio
- Albergo Europa Bellagio, Lake Como, Italy