“Sublime Italian sea food.”
Review of Al Bagatto

Al Bagatto
Ranked #46 of 930 Restaurants in Trieste
Price range: US$64 - US$81
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Description: For almost 50 years now, the Al Bagatto Restaurant has been providing this wonderful city a place to try the best fresh fish around. This has sometimes meant offering an alternative all-meat menu or even closing the restaurant when the quality fish that you know us for, and which distinguishes us, was not available.
Reviewed 9 May 2016

We were looking to a good Italian fish restaurant in Trieste and read some good reviews on trip advisor, The Telegraph and Lonely Planet so we arrived early, for Italian perspective - 745 pm.
It's a small place in a narrow street. We arrived and there was only one lady.
The place is not fancy, it has maybe 15 tables and some good food photographs around the place. It is comfortable but nothing fancy. There is a large selection of Italian local wines and Grappa on stable too.
Staff is very welcoming, friendly, knowledgeable about their produce and speak good English.
There is a choice of two menus or a la Carte. We had A la Carte.
I started with the octopus because the ingredients appealed to me (with tomatoes,liquorice etc). I was not disappointed. The octopus was soft, not too fishy, in one word sublime. The other ingredients were perfectly combined to create a delicious meal.
As main dish I went for the Spaghetti with garlic and prawns. I fancied some proper Italian sea food pasta. It ticked the box too. Delicious.
The servings are good, allowing you to go for a desert or digestif.
I fancied a chocolate desert, it was very tasty and nicely presented too.
We ended the meal with a Grappa and a Limoncello- we usually do not have digestifs but a cup of coffee of tea, but this was an offer we could not refuse...
This was a great dinner, beautifully presented and cooked and a friendly staff.
If in Trieste, do not miss the opportunity.
The restaurant is also rated on a gourmet book for the Austrian, Croatian and Istria regions.

1  Thank travelbugAmsterdam

Reviewed 9 May 2016

My wife and I ate here on the basis of the reviews from Trip Advisor and other internet sources. We were not disappointed.

A small intimate restaurant with friendly staff who's English is 200 times better than my Italian. The menu is well presented with local fresh seafood.

All dishes are beautifully presented and combine flavours well. Although I had the prawns with a sauce of carrot and ginger which was excellent - the octopus was sublime. I also had the sea bass roasted in salt which was beautifully cooked, moist delicate.

A fine grappa recommendation finished the meal.

Not to be missed if your ever in Trieste and enjoy fresh seafood.

Reviewed 6 March 2016 via mobile

Menu only with "creative" dishes. New combinations to create a new flavor, but unfortunately failed experiment ..the ingredients do not blend, they separate from the others, or, worst cover the main ingredient. Only "ricciola" tartare was very good because simple. wine list is poor. Very kind and professional staff. Three little rooms, two of which planted of little tables, nevertheless good for a romantic dinner. Expensive prices. The old management was better for fish quality and cooking. It is right to renew but keeping some simple fish dishes and save the history of "Bagatto". I'm Sorry, it's only my opinion but to cook fish I think : "less is more"!

Reviewed 22 October 2015 via mobile

One of our best dinners so far in Italy. The staff was beyond gracious to us. Meals were excellent. Seafood was outstanding.

Reviewed 6 October 2015

As we were a party of 7 we were seated in the back room on our own so unfortunately there was no restaurant atmosphere. I would recommend booking a table in the main room as the food, wine and service were excellent and it appeared much more lively there.