Open today: 08:00 - 21:00
Review Highlights
Best cooking school ever!

What a great week of learning about Bolonese cooking! Stefano and his team of chefs taught us so... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
MarieCalgary
Calgary
Stuffed pasta class

Had the best morning ever with Alessandra, she is passionate about her food and delivers the class... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

from US$91.90
from US$177.90
from US$173.30
More Info
All reviews chef stefano cibo ravioli the kitchen cooking school learned how pasta class at home cooking experience fresh pasta pasta making learn how great chef amazing instructor rolling pin amazing cooking swiss chard
Reviewed 24 March 2018

I'm obsessed with everything related to food/cooking: I have attended culinary school at several Le Cordon Bleu's (Paris, London, Wellington) and have taken extended chef's courses around the world (Spain, South Africa, China, Thailand, Japan, Mexico etc.). As Italian food has always been one of my favorite cuisines, Italy was a "must cook" on my culinary map. I decided to go to CIBO because I liked how customized and flexible the chef's course was: I opted for 5 weeks at Cibo and broke them down to 3 weeks in spring and 2 weeks in fall so I could profit from different seasonal ingredients. The entire CIBO team has been fantastic and quickly became my Italian family: Stefano is probably one of the most generous people I have ever met. He loves to share and is very eager to show/give you the very best Italy has to offer. We went to the market every single day to buy our ingredients, and the entire course was 100% tailored to my wishes. Since I'm already a trained chef, I wanted to focus on specific techniques/dishes/regions in Italy, and it was not a problem at all. I also wanted to visit farms/factories to see how various things (balsamico, pecorino, parmigiano, prosciutto etc.) are produced... This was organized for me as well. Stefano invited me to his house in the mountains, took me to the best restaurants in the region and one of my fondest memories will always be the one of us roasting chestnuts over a 300 years old fire place, listening to jazz, snacking on the most divine chocolate panettone and talking about... everything and nothing. This experience has turned me into an Italian food snob (I say this in the most positive way), because I now understand GREAT ingredients, GREAT pasta and GREAT Italian cooking. It has forever changed my perception and judgment of Italian food. I have been recommending CIBO to all of my fellow foodie friends, and they all loved the experience as well. 5 stars, and a must for everybody who truly loves food! :-)

1  Thank Yuan Y
Reviewed 23 March 2018 via mobile

I'm an avid cook and familiar with Southern Italian cuisine. I wanted to expand that knowledge and learn more about Northern food, particularly from Emilia-Romagna.

CIBO is very different than any other school I've attended. They really are a culinary institution. They've copiously studied typical regional food and have formed their recipes through informed research and refined technique. All of the teachers are professional chefs and very good teachers.

Lucia taught me not only how to make tortellini in brodo, but also have to butcher a rabbit - a technique I wasn't familiar with. The classes are also tailored based on how much experience you have.

The wine with my meal was very well paired to what I'd cooked. I was also offered a cappuccino before we started cooking as it was an early morning. I would like to come back and study again. Highly recommended.

Reviewed 23 December 2017

I'm late writing this review. We attended a class in early October, but my memory is still fresh.

The small group in our session worked well together. Alex was an amazing instructor with a great attitude!

I loved being taught ratios for ingredients and why rather than simply following a recipe. I know how to do that and wanted to be able to take my knowledge to another level.

Working from your own station and doing all the work was perfect. You don't know what to do later unless you are actively touching, smelling and tasting during your lesson.

I will definitely take another class on my next trip to Bologna! I want to take a morning session next time. The market experience sounds fun. More than likely I won't be able to get the same quality items, oh how I miss those beautiful egg yolks, but it is always a learning experience.

Reviewed 4 December 2017 via mobile

I just finished two classes at CIBO with Alex. It was so much fun I’m hoping to come back for an extended time. I couldn’t believe how much we did and how much I learned. It’s very hands on and I felt quite confident when I left. What I like most was I didn’t learn how to follow a recipe.....I learned how to cook. Highly recommend!!!!

Reviewed 29 November 2017

Twelve of us in Emilia Romagna on a foodie tour... what could be better than to take a cooking class! CIBO's Chef Stefano met us at the market to start our day of cooking and learning. His plan for a menu of traditional Bolognese style dishes was immediately challenged by the fact that we had three non-meat eaters among our group. They did eat seafood, so a quick visit to a fishmonger, with questions about what fish we saw that were familiar from home, and we had a basket full of clams, mussels, shrimp and monkfish. On to the meat market for pork, beef, ham and, of course cheese and the ingredients for fresh pasta. Then down another side street for an assortment of vegetables and herbs. On the urging of a couple of our group we added squash blossoms and a large bunch of red and white beans. Now back to the cooking school, adjacent to his restaurant, to get to work. The classroom is well designed. There are work surfaces for making pasta, and several cooking stations complete with pots, pans, knives and other essentials, each with its own induction burner. With lots of food and too little time, chef Stefano divided us up into working groups to make the pasta and squash blossoms and prep and cook the meat dishes, seafood and soup courses. Moving from station to station with his colleague, Chef Lucia, he dispensed instructions, encouragement and advice. Everyone was allowed to work at their own pace and to the limits of their knowledge, but the instructors made sure that everything was prepared properly, and, ultimately, in enough time to sit down and enjoy a wonderful and rewarding feast. Of course, the wine flowed copiously (both during and after the cooking) and at the end of the afternoon, everyone was unanimous in agreeing that it was one of our best experiences of the week. I would be happy to go back and do it all again.

This wasn't my first cooking class, but I came away with a great respect for the nuances of Bolognese style cooking, combined with a lot of humor, ingenuity, and creativity. Stefano and Lucia provided us with an excellent lesson on how to organize and supervise (and improvise) in a very busy kitchen.