“Amazing cooking class. ”

CIBO Culinary Institute of Bologna
More attraction details
Owner description: CIBO offers the ultimate Italian cooking experience. Enjoy short, half day or full day classes or a week long culinary adventure. Experience cooking lessons that are taught by professional restaurant chefs, in a fun foodie environment. Join us in downtown, historic Bologna or cook in our nearby countryside location.Classes are not demonstrations. At the Culinary Institute of Bologna(CIBO) you receive a true hands-on Italian cooking experience; you actively participate in the class and learn by actually cooking the dishes we prepare. Learn authentic Bolognese dishes from our professional chefs who are employed at local Emilia Romagna restaurants and trattorias. You will work with authentic recipes that have been handed down for centuries. You will perform cooking techniques that will quickly transform you into you into a great Italian cook.Choose from a multitude of cooking lessons. You may decide to take a few hours to a few days of classes, or enjoy a full week of culinary adventure in downtown Bologna and/or the nearby countryside in Ravenna. Select from the list of our Italian cooking courses. Almost every lesson includes a lunch or dinner.Prepare authentic Bolognese cuisine and then enjoy a wonderful meal that you created. CIBO loves amateurs, professionals, students and foodies, everyone is welcome at every level of expertise. Our professional chefs and staff provide instruction in a friendly, relaxed step-by -step instructional manner The staff will share their expert tips, methods and cookery and techniques. Our classes are not demonstrations but rather hands-on cooking classes offer a unique opportunity to learn from the very best!Using our state of the art professional kitchens will assure of learning quickly and effortlessly. Each kitchen is equipped with the latest kitchenware and cooking equipment.. At CIBO your are in the perfect setting in which to improve your cooking skills and have a fun filled culinary experience!
Reviewed 4 December 2017 via mobile

I just finished two classes at CIBO with Alex. It was so much fun I’m hoping to come back for an extended time. I couldn’t believe how much we did and how much I learned. It’s very hands on and I felt quite confident when I left. What I like most was I didn’t learn how to follow a recipe.....I learned how to cook. Highly recommend!!!!

All reviews
in 3 reviews
"rolling pin"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed 29 November 2017

Twelve of us in Emilia Romagna on a foodie tour... what could be better than to take a cooking class! CIBO's Chef Stefano met us at the market to start our day of cooking and learning. His plan for a menu of traditional Bolognese style dishes was immediately challenged by the fact that we had three non-meat eaters among our group. They did eat seafood, so a quick visit to a fishmonger, with questions about what fish we saw that were familiar from home, and we had a basket full of clams, mussels, shrimp and monkfish. On to the meat market for pork, beef, ham and, of course cheese and the ingredients for fresh pasta. Then down another side street for an assortment of vegetables and herbs. On the urging of a couple of our group we added squash blossoms and a large bunch of red and white beans. Now back to the cooking school, adjacent to his restaurant, to get to work. The classroom is well designed. There are work surfaces for making pasta, and several cooking stations complete with pots, pans, knives and other essentials, each with its own induction burner. With lots of food and too little time, chef Stefano divided us up into working groups to make the pasta and squash blossoms and prep and cook the meat dishes, seafood and soup courses. Moving from station to station with his colleague, Chef Lucia, he dispensed instructions, encouragement and advice. Everyone was allowed to work at their own pace and to the limits of their knowledge, but the instructors made sure that everything was prepared properly, and, ultimately, in enough time to sit down and enjoy a wonderful and rewarding feast. Of course, the wine flowed copiously (both during and after the cooking) and at the end of the afternoon, everyone was unanimous in agreeing that it was one of our best experiences of the week. I would be happy to go back and do it all again.

This wasn't my first cooking class, but I came away with a great respect for the nuances of Bolognese style cooking, combined with a lot of humor, ingenuity, and creativity. Stefano and Lucia provided us with an excellent lesson on how to organize and supervise (and improvise) in a very busy kitchen.

Reviewed 8 November 2017 via mobile

Stefano met us at the street market where we made a plan of what we might want to cook. The fruits and vegetables are fresh and ripe. The fish market was loaded with a huge assortment to choose from. Mussels, shrimp, squid, and fish filled out basket. Squash blossoms and fabulous red speckled beans. Back at the school we cleaned and chopped and then learned how to make pasta. What a wonderful experience.

Reviewed 1 November 2017

I took the late afternoon class that focused on making pasta and sauces and my personal favorite, stuffed squash blossoms. We worked with Alexandra as our chef. She was patient, knowledgable and a wonderful teacher. She offered up a bunch of tips that will make my kitchen life much better! The pastas and the sauces turned out great and she even showed us how to make some tasty little meatballs from the bits left over in the stock. We overlapped with a couple who was taking a full day class and got to see the dishes they prepared as well, which was a bonus. It was a total feast when we were all done. I hope to go back and do a multi-day program. Highly recommend CIBO for a great experience!

See more reviews
Reviewed 30 October 2017 via mobile

I signed up for the three day cooking course at CIBO and had the most wonderful time. The chefs I learned from, Lucia and Alexandra, were incredibly knowledgeable and I learned so much. I was amazed how many things we cooked in a day - up to 10 dishes a day!

What I really loved was that the programme was tailored to what I wanted to learn and cook each day. Each morning we went to the market, butcher or fish monger and discussed what was in season, and what I wanted to cook/learn/eat. This was irrespective of other people also in the course (I.e. there were half day and other people doing other courses at the same time, but we didn’t need to all agree on the same dishes and do the same thing). I really liked how there was no set menu or programme, it was very personal.

I recommend doing at least 1 full day to learn beyond the basic Bologna Ragu and just a few pastas and vegetables (but if this is enough for you, then half a day is perfect and you will learn so much!).

The highlight for me aside from learning to make pasta and gnocchi was day 3 where we did a full day of seafood - and literally bought the whole fish monger!! From calamari, sea brim, muscles, clams, red mullet and more. I also loved learning to cook beef cheek, veal scallopino, lasagne. I learned so many cooking techniques- braising, stocks and sauces, frying, cooking fish in paper, stuffing and more.

I couldn’t recommend this cooking school enough!

Thank you CIBO for making my time in Bologna so memorable. I’ll be back!

1  Thank Sarah P