“Wonderful!!!”
Review of Taste of Italy

Taste of Italy
More attraction details
Owner description: Italian cooking lessons in an Italian home! We are happy to teach you how to prepare authentic Italian dishes and although we are friendly, we are also quite serious about teaching you the right way to make these dishes and ensuring that you will be able to replicate these back home. Your success back home is our objective. We are professional and experienced but not stuffy or arrogant. Our specialty is pasta making, the old fashioned way; the way the Italian grandma's still make it (with a wooden rolling pin and board)! You will make several pasta shapes and sauces and won't miss anything! We also teach how to cook with local specialties like Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, Traditional Balsamic Vinegar, Bologna Mortadella and Prosciutto from Parma. We cook with fresh seasonal produce, meats, and seafood. Lessons are personalized and held in small groups (1-3, up to 6 if related or close friends) to assure plenty of one-on-one attention. Our hands-on cooking lessons are held in a home setting. No surcharge for single participants or private lessons. Discounts for children. Lessons available in English, Spanish or Italian.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Stairs / lift, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 23 November 2017 via mobile

What a great way to spend a day in Bologna! I highly suggest going on the market tour with Maribel. You’ll never look at your local market the same way. Maribel’s easy instructions helped my wife and 11 year old daughter become excellent pasta makers. We can’t wait to try our Ragú and sausage/butternut squash dishes when we return home. Hopefully, we will be able to replicate the success we had today! Thank you Maribel for a day we won’t soon forget!

All reviews
"learning how"
in 12 reviews
"italian ingredients"
in 3 reviews
"highly recommend this experience"
in 5 reviews
"learned how"
"the kitchen"
"classic bolognese"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed 15 November 2017

My wife and I just returned from an incredible 2 weeks in Italy and one of our absolute highlights was the day we spent with Maribel (Taste of Italy). I am a private chef in New York City and I was looking to refine my handmade pasta skills and I am so thrilled that we chose to spend our time with Maribel. There are other options out there for culinary classes in Bologna but I'm confident none will offer the personalized experience and attention offered by Maribel - this is a truly special experience.

Let me qualify things a bit by saying you do not have to be a professional or semi-professional to opt in here. Maribel offers a wonderful variety of day long or half day long courses to suit your particular needs and, through great communication in advance of your course, she'll truly customize your experience so you come away with fabulous new techniques which you can bring home with you no matter what your skill level - not to mention you will eat very very well enjoying the fruits of your labor that day ;-).

We chose to do the Culinary Pasta Lesson, which included an abbreviated visit to the markets which is a delightful way to begin the day, bright and early. We visited several shops. Maribel is clearly a well established figure in the Bologna community and we learned quite a bit from even our brief market visits before returning to her home to get started. We made two sheets of pasta (a one egg, and a two egg dough) and from those doughs made no fewer than 11 or 12 shapes of pasta despite planning on only 8 - just amazing.

Our day finished enjoying several of our pastas with a few simple sauces - our main focus was on the pasta making so we kept our sauces fairly simple but they were nonetheless delicioso! Maribel and Taste of Italy have my highest recommendation!

1  Thank ChefJamieNYC
TasteofItaly, Owner at Taste of Italy, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2017

ChefJamie, what an amazing review, thank you so much! I really enjoyed meeting and cooking with you and your wife and thoroughly enjoyed spending the day with you. Thank you once again.

Reviewed 27 October 2017 via mobile

We had perfect day with Maribel. I knew how to make pasta bir on Turkish style I just want to learn difference between to ways.I knew the taste differance of course . 5 years ago my daughter came to Bologna and that time she took a class from maribel and same day she called me immidiatly ..she was so impressed and learn a lot in a 1 day....Same think happened to me, I learned a lot especially the usefull tips were so great for me.
Thank you Maribel I wish we will meet again .

TasteofItaly, Owner at Taste of Italy, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2017

Thank you. it was lovely to meet you this time with your friend. I do have a feeling we will meet again, either again in Bologna or in Turkey, we have so much in common! we will stay in touch.

Reviewed 8 October 2017 via mobile

My cooking class with Maribel was one of my favorite parts of my trip to Italy! Maribel met me at the market and we spent some time shopping for our ingredients. She was very informative while teaching me about the different meats, cheeses, vegetables, and the Italian culture. Maribel was very patient and helpful while teaching me to make my pasta dishes. The pasta was the best I've ever had in my entire life! Thank you Maribel!

TasteofItaly, Owner at Taste of Italy, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2017

oh thank you Shaylyn! I really enjoyed meeting and cooking with you - I hope you practice and send me photos of the pasta you make at home. Take care, all the best!

See more reviews
Reviewed 1 October 2017

I booked to come to Bolonga in July and with it being known as the 'food capital' of Italy I knew I had to do a cooking class while I was there. I booked with Maribel and was in a small group with only 3 others on the day which was great. The day began with a market tour to buy some ingredients and see some local shops - WOW! The produce was amazing! While we were wandering, Maribel was a wealth of knowledge about the local products and answered any questions I had. We then went back to her house to begin the cooking. We made a variety of dishes from appetizers to main's, salad and of course the traditional pasta! Everything was delicious! Thank you again for a great experience, Maribel.

TasteofItaly, Owner at Taste of Italy, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2017

Thank you Caris for your review. I am glad you enjoyed the market tour and cooking lesson. I think it is important to understand the variety of ingredients we have and why we use one type over another. Thank you for your curiosity an good questions.

Please remember to contact me if you run into any problems in re creating any of the dishes. all the best,
Maribel