“Never again, the museum maybe nice but the experience... not at all.”
Review of Vatican Museums

Vatican Museums
Book In Advance
More Info
US$49.70*
and up
Fast track Vatican Ticket & Self-Guided Vatican...
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: With more than five miles of corridors, this vast complex of museums chronicles the history and accomplishments of mankind over the last 2000 years, featuring classic masterpieces such as Rodin's "Thinker" and the Sistine Chapel.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

4h waiting in line, get inside and pushed pushed arrashed, come on, fast fast people everywhere, not enough signs, some of the boards with explanation in english were unreadable, people complaining because the audio guide was not working... really? 4h waiting for this? just hope that the sistine chapel is worth the effort but... much smaller than what I had in mind, and with stuff telling you NO! move move, to the middle, you are on the way, move, push push, people! so stressful! I can't understand the beauty of this. I would not recomend it even if it was for free.

2  Thank Pepusina
Write a ReviewReviews (30,621)
All reviews
in 141 reviews
"awe inspiring"
in 154 reviews

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We booked open tickets online and so glad we did. The website says the Vatican opens at 9am, but when we arrived at 8.30am there was already a long queue for non-ticket holders. We walked straight in even though our ticket was for 9.30am, and it was busy but not crowded. We bypassed the Egyptian museum and had a leisurely walk through the galleries to the Sistine Chapel. When we came back to the museum about 90 mins later it was heaving, you could barely move. We also bought the audio guide when we got there - it was excellent, and I thoroughly recommend it.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Something needed to be visited!
Recommend to join the guided group not only because fast entrance but also because of getting plenty of information.

1  Thank Nenacd
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

We went on a Wednesday and reserved tickets but it was still really packed. As we booked student tickets beforehand, we had to show our student pass to collect the tickets. However the staff did not accept my student card as it did not include the period of validity and thus I could not prove if I was still a student. It also seemed as if they only accepted the International Student card. This was such a shame as most places were not as strict. As such we had to top up to the adult price for an extra €9 euros each.

The whole museum was pretty long, and did not help that it was really brimmed with people. It took us about 2.5 hours to finish walking through it. Maybe we would have appreciated it better with a tour but it would have probably taken even longer. I would suggest the audio guide.

See more reviews
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Our visit to the Vatican museums was supposed to be emotional and memorable, but I wasn't counting on it being so for these reasons! Talk about crowds! People were courteous, realizing that everyone was there for the same reason: to experience first hand the grandeur and sanctity of the place.
Things that worried me: very narrow hallways, no protection for the art, no air conditioning even during the summer, restrooms only at the very beginning or at the very end (please listen to your mother and use the restroom before starting the tour!). The entry to the Sistine Chapel is through a tiny door and steep stairs.
DO NOT embark on this tour if you are claustrophobic or afraid of crowds.
Realizing this is a place of pilgrimage and artistic importance, the Vatican authorities REALLY need to fix the people flow through these confined spaces.
Lastly, I wear a fitness tracker that counts every step I take. My tracker recorded that I took 500 steps during the entire 3 hour tour, because all I did was shuffle my feet and move along and technically didn't take many steps... that should give you an idea of the pace and crowds!
Honestly, the crowds sorta ruined it for me.

1  Thank MoShoEli