“A pleasant change”

La Cucaracha
Ranked #613 of 13,792 Restaurants in Rome
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Rich local dishes, spicy specialties and a wide assortment of beers and cocktails. The room is cozy and the strictly Mexican furnishings create a warm atmosphere with Latin American music. A real explosion of cheerfulness. The family atmosphere makes the tasting of culinary specialties more enjoyable. The restaurant is open only in the evenings, every day, even after the theater. The reservation is necessary.
Reviewed 9 August 2016

La Cucaracha was right next door to our hotel so we popped in on a Saturday night. We had made a reservation earlier in the day and you certainly need to on a busy night.

We both had prawn fajitas which were very nice but served in their full shells. As they were a) very hot and b) we had no finger bowl or towelettes, they were quite fiddly to eat. I did ask for something to clean my fingers with and was brought some wet kitchen roll :-) Once de-shelled though they were very tasty. I think there was pineapple in the fajitas which is something I have not seen before but provided a different taste experience.

Very little English spoken by the staff, not that they should , just a comment. Trying to book was a lesson in sign language!

All in all a lovely change from the usual Rome pizza and pasta fare.

Reviewed 1 August 2016 via mobile

Nice .!!! I love the service & food love it .!.!.!.! Close to everithing and clean restroms, the food was nice and good taste ... Love it

Reviewed 25 July 2016

This was the best Mexican food I have ever tasted. After our trip, our "favorite Mexican restaurants" paled in comparison to the one we found in Italy. At first I was surprised that they didn't bring chips to the table, but when the food comes you are so glad you didn't waste any of your appetite on chips. I had cheese enchiladas with black retried beans and rice My husband had grilled chicken enchiladas with green sauce. I can't begin to describe the flavors that packed every bite. I never would have guessed that I'd find the best Mexican food in Italy. Great service, friendly, and so good!

1  Thank Julie R
Reviewed 9 July 2016 via mobile

We really enjoyed the food. I recommend the nachos - delicious! Our waiter was so sweet and told us that he had a daughter in Norway, so he recognised our language:) We've stayed in Italy for two weeks and this was one of our best meals

Reviewed 25 June 2016 via mobile

The food is as authentic as it will be not being in Mexico. The food was ok, not great ! The tequila is not what they promote in the menu. I have to give them preps for doing their best. For it to be real Mexican food it needs a lot of more spices.