“Texan who loves authentic mexican food!!”
Review of Cucara Macara

Cucara Macara
Ranked #4,284 of 13,427 Restaurants in Rome
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 13 June 2015

We have a thousand Mexican restaurants in Texas, but every time i go to Rome i HAVE to make a stop at Cucara!!!. They have the most authentic mexican food i have eaten outside of Mexico, the margaritas from the owner Danilo are truly the best i have tasted. I always look forward to having a truly unique desert- the chocolate tequila w chili pepper cake- it is unlike anything i have ever tasted-the mixture of the flavors is one of life's simple pleasures!. The new look of the restaurant looks very contemporary . Bravo!!!!!!

Reviewed 7 March 2014

I've eaten here many, many times and being from Texas / growing up eating Mexican food, I can say it's worth a visit, particularly for long-term inhabitants. It's quite hard to find Mexican food of this quality anywhere I have visited in Europe.
The owner is from Chiapas, and makes an excellent mole which isn't on the menu but is sometimes available upon request. Otherwise, I haven't tried anything that I could complain about. Homemade tortillas and guac. Sour creams and cheeses. Good margaritas...
The neighbourhood is quite pretty and safe if you walk up the hill, full of palazzi and convents and little bars, not creepy nor particularly covered in graffiti as a tourist bizarrely suggested in another review.
Maybe a bit expensive, but good for a date night or splurge. This six-year resident of Rome gives it a thumbs up.

1  Thank JeninRome
Reviewed 23 June 2013 via mobile

It took me a little while to convince my husband to have mexican in italy, but boy are we glad we did! The food is fresh and delicious, the margaritas a must-have. They don't speak english and the menu is in italian, which is to be expected. We just took a guess and we weren't disappointed. Go if you can!

Reviewed 2 March 2013

This is a cute, Mexican themed restaurant about 5 minutes from metro Line A, Cipro stop. A bit pricey, but close enough to Mexican to satisfy cravings for Mexican food (we are from Texas). Shrimp entree was good, cod tacos very good, served with cornmeal crusted french fries (tasty). Queso not authentic, but I think it's almost impossible to buy American cheese here. Nachos were pretty good, no queso on top, but good. Margaritas were pretty good, although pretty expensive for a small pitcher. All in all, pretty good place, we will return.

1  Thank cohargan
Reviewed 3 December 2011

We decide to go to this restaurant following the suggestion of a Mexican friend that has been living in Rome for a while.
We started with some Melargaritas and some Nachos, both really good; probably the nachos portions were a little bit small for the price.
The main dish were all really tasty and beware, the one indicated as really spicy keep their promise!
The dessert were good as well, but again the portions were kind of little.Good selection of Tequilas.
Overall I think it's the best Mexican restaurant in town,worth the premium price, and I highly recommend it if you want to try something different from the widespread Tex-Mex.