“Did both Colosseum and Vatican museums”

Colosseum and Vatican Tours by Italy Wonders
Ranked #62 of 911 Tours in Rome
More attraction details
Owner description: With a long experience in the tourism field, Our's staff will be very happy to assist you in making your visit in Rome unforgettable. We offer a wide range of Rome tours to suit everybody's needs and interests. Group tours, small group tours, private tours, classical itineraries and off-the-beaten track routes. For all our tours we will provide skip the line tickets.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Carla R, Direttore generale at Colosseum and Vatican Tours by Italy Wonders, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2018

All reviews
"an amazing guide"
in 6 reviews
"these guys"
in 11 reviews
"highly recommend this company"
in 11 reviews
"come alive"
in 9 reviews

Reviewed 6 April 2018

Reviewed 5 April 2018

I don't understand how this company is getting so many good reviews. I'm not sure if all Colosseum and Vatican Tour companies are grouped under this general heading on TripAdvisor but the company i'm reviewing is Colosseum and Vatican Tours by Italy Wonders and owner of the company we used was Viviana. Their little office is actually located in one of the ally's not to far from the Colosseum.

Before I give you my review, if you are going to Rome and plan on seeing the Colosseum, let me try to help you get tickets before so that you don't have to resort to companies like Italy Wonders and pay more than you need to. I learned everything in hind sight from an agent that shared some info with me and I would like to share and help any one who reads this so they don't end up paying and arm and a leg for their family or friends to enjoy these wonderful structures that are ordinarily reasonably priced.

BUYING YOUR TICKET :

Try to buy your tickets way in advance on the Colosseum's official site under coopculture.it (especially if you want to see the third tier and underground).

If they are not available for the month you are going - keep checking back. You will need to buy tickets for both the main Colosseum and the third tier and underground separately (if you wish to see all 3 levels). I would recommend all 3 levels as each level is spectacular. If you can't do it online or don't understand what to buy - FIND A PHONE NUMBER AND CALL THEM. Keep checking even after arriving in Rome (you never know what opens up). I found tickets for groups of 1, 2 and 4 at various times during our stay but unfortunately, I needed more.

They have a ticket booth at the Colosseum so you can probably also check there.

RATES :

The tickets that are sold online are roughly around 12 Euros each for adults and FREE FOR CHILDREN UNDER 18. The third tier and underground are also around 12 euros for a guided tour and 8 euro I believe for children under 18. The guided tour by coop culture is exactly what tour companies do but they just charge you 5 times more. Also THE ADMISSION TO PALATINE HILL AND ROMAN FORUM IS INCLUDED IN YOUR COLOSSEUM TICKET. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise (Viviana said it was additional but several employees at Palatine Hill itself told me it's not when I asked them). It is FREE with your Colosseum ticket.

This tour company - Colosseum and Vatican Tours by Italy Wonders (and probably others) are charging 60 + euros or more for adults and 48 + for children which is ridiculous considering what the actual rate directly through the Colosseum is. Infact, I think that group tickets are even less than the rates published to individual. Unfortunately, in desperation poor tourists are forced to pay it as they can not get tickets themselves as from what one agency told me, tour operators in Rome purchase many of the opens spots up in advance (sometimes months and months in advance) in order to charge astronomical rates to tourists later.

ADVICE :

Try to get those tickets in advance. If you are unable to do so and have to use a tour company for the three tiers at the Colosseum (or any) then I would recommend Eyes of Rome. We had a private tour of the Vatican with Katie and it was FABULOUS (and if you are a bigger group (6-7+ people), they have better rates for private tours than you will pay for everyone to attend this group of 25 tours). I was hoping to do this Colosseum tour with them as we loved our first trip but Katie may have misunderstood when I asked about the Colosseum and the 3 tiers so I didn't bother looking at the website when she said they don't offer it. I should have checked because they do offer it and I know our experience (especially the children's experience) would have been 100 X's better had we gone with them. Please read my review of our Vatican Tour with Eye's of Rome. It may help you plan other tours.

Review of Colosseum and Vatican Tours by Italy Wonders :

My family did this tour with Vivienne who I was told was the owner of this company. Everyone meets at Colosseum and Vatican Tour company office and although they say the tour is 3.5 hours total, because getting the headsets and bathroom runs take time, I think you have around 3 hours if not less. From the office, our group walked over to the Colosseum and waited again because Vivienne didn't actually have tickets in hand. One of her assistants had to run the group paperwork over to the ticket agency and then run the ticket back to our group. I'm not sure how the system works but something seemed weird. I think tour agencies must get big discounts for a single group ticket but they have to prove they have that number of of people in the group. They don't actually pay for individual tickets (which we were hoping to keep as a memorabilia item) as you will never get a copy of yours. Vivienne had one ticket that her assistant brought her and she'd scan that for each person that went through the turnstyle. Ultimately she kept that ticket because she probably didn't want us to see what the actual cost on group sales is. Seemed kind of unprofessional compared to my Vatican Tour where Katie had all our individual tickets (that we got to keep) ready and there was no waiting time. Once you enter you're given a lot of info. The main arena is spectacular as are the dungeons and third tier but in this tour you don't get to spend time on the main circle of the Colosseum where all the other tourists are. You're just ushered from the arena floor, to the dungeons to the third tier with time limits on all. There is no time to enjoy the main ring. Viewing all the tiers of the Colosseum leaves you in awe of the capability of ancient Rome however listening to the explanations for everything that Vivienne gave was very boring. I didn't really feel like she knew how to capture anyone's interest as she was quite monotone and sounded like she was just running off some script she memorized. The kids were extremely bored by her and she never actually interacted with them and several times they'd mentioned how Katie from Eye's of Rome was 100 times better. After the Coloseum we went to Palatine Hill which again could have been interesting but with Viviana it was completely dull. Yes the architecture is amazing but listening to our guide speak was like watching paint dry. Infact is was so dull that 4 out of the 7 people in my family left and decided not to continue this tour with Italy Wonders.

For all of you tourists out there - Please save yourself A LOT of money and try booking these tickets directly and if that doesn't work and you must resort to a tour company then use Eyes of Rome. You won't regret it but if you use this horrible company - you most likely will.

2  Thank DVIPortland
Carla R, Direttore generale at Colosseum and Vatican Tours by Italy Wonders, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2018

Dear DVIPortland,
First of all let me clarify the information that are wrong. The name of our company, known by our customers, is Colosseum and Vatican Tours, not Italy Wonders. Only competitors recognize us under this name.
Moreover, we are a tour operator who sells Tours, not tickets. When booking a tour with us, we provide not only tickets, but also professional and licensed guides. You are using this review to advertise your own company Eyes of Rome, which I am not even sure that has a license as tour operator, since it is an association of guides, not a tour operator as Colosseum and Vatican Tours.
Whatsmore, the person who you are reviewing about, Vivianna, is not the owner of the company, as you can easily see on our website. She lives abroad and doesn't even work as a tour guide with us for this reason. Also, the Tour you are talking about, the Dungeons Tour includes:
Colosseum Restricted Areas (Arena and Undergrounds);
Colosseum regular levels;
Roman Forum;

The main reason is you wrote on our Tripadvisor web page was to sully the name of our company, Colosseum and Vaticna Tours, while advertising yours.
Not third thier, no other levels.
Best regards