“Not at all as described”

Piccolo Imperiale Guest House
Ranked #2,019 of 3,742 Rome B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 June 2016

I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone. I arrived and was taken from the guest house to the annexe, which is essentially an airbnb - a two bedroom apartment. I was told that I had the place to myself. The room was quite small and the noise from outside was very loud, because the location of the annexe is near a square and there are restaurants and bars nearby there is a lot of noise until about 1-2am. No air conditioning in the room either.

I booked through Venere and the information on the site may be accurate about the guest house but isn't reflective of the annexe. The curtains did not meet, there was dirty pans in the sink, the breakfast did not look like the pictures. All in all, a real disappointment.

The next day I came back from sightseeing to find someone in the kitchen, when I asked what they were doing there as I was told no one else was staying they said they were now in the annexe. From a safety perspective it really wasn't ideal, you could be in an apartment with anyone. Each bedroom has a lock, but I did not feel safe.

It was genuinely the worst two night's sleep I've had.

Pro's
- strong wifi
- close to St. Peter's

Con's
- see above

Room Tip: Avoid booking the annexe
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled solo

Reviewed 28 March 2016 via mobile

Not a hotel! Do not expect hotel facilities. This is by all means a family operated guest house. Upon arrival we buzzed in and went up to the main office in the building where the hotel is addressed. We were greeted and checked-in by the staff and then taken to a building around the corner where our room inside of a shared apartment was. The apartment was cozy and nicely renovated, a nice touch of Ikea. Our room and the apartment were clean and tidy. The bathroom facilities were nice too. We felt at home here. Great wifi connectivity and even had a washing machine for our use (so we think anyways). The location of the room was great as it was around the corner from castle santa maria and the vatican. The apartment had a decent sized kitchen fully equipped with plates and silverware. The area is quiet and no smell of cigarette smoke from outside.

CONS
1. Our shower has poor drainage and the water would not clear for minutes after we got our. Left your feet kind of dirty.
2. The staff is not very available outside of typical business hours. But helpful when they are around.
3. The breakfast options are all pre-packaged items.

If you dont mind not having the luxuries of hotel, this is a great place for a stay in rome.

Stayed: March 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 December 2015

I booked with booking.com and there is not mentioned anywhere that is a Guest House. I honestly don't choose guest houses when I look for hotels. Maybe it is a misguide from booking.com, but I was quite disappointed. The price they apply it's not of a guest house at all. You can book a decent hotel in Rome for that price. Breakfast it's a self service in the way that you go to a corner, make your own coffee and pick up your food and then you go back to your room to eat it. As I said, the price is not up to the level of service you get. I suggest you to go and look for something else if you are searching for hotels. The only person there is the owner, a very nice lady, but never there if you need something... again, for that price there is something better in Rome.

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 November 2014

We stayed for 3 nights in November.
We arrived on a Wednesday at 3:00 pm. After ring the buzzer for five minutes someone arrived from another property inside and let us in the building. But there was no one at the Imperiale to let us in. We were locked in the vestibule for about a half hour until someone showed up. Then we had to wait another half hour for our room to be cleaned!
One night we were out. Came back about 10 and couldn't get into the building. Our keys didn't work. Someone let us in. When we got to the door of the Imperial, our key for that didn't work. After ringing the bell and pounding on the door for about 10 minutes another guest let us in. No one from the property was around. When we called the number on the key, we were told to call back in 5 minutes. Then we were told how we could access our room. It was NOT a pleasant experience.
There was never anyone around to help with questions about anything! As a foreigner in Italy it would have been nice when staying in a guest house to have a property manager around.
The room was clean, but very musty and damp. The shower was about 27" square. Not made for real size people!
Would not recommend this to anyone!

• Stayed: November 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Nancy J
Reviewed 28 October 2014

Great experience!! The room was big plenty of space, the room and br was very clean, the location of the hotel is perfect! short ride from metro station, and walking distance from the bus stops, Luciana was great, it was a smooth and comfortable stay, Luciana was very helpful. Even the other staff, tried their best to give us the best possible experience!! The breakfast can improve as well as add english channel on the tv, other than that , there's nothing really to complain! Love Love Love Piccolo Imperiale, will stay again! highly recommended!

• Stayed: October 2014, travelled as a couple