“Good, friendly little hotel”
Review of Hotel San Carlo

Hotel San Carlo
Ranked #180 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 17 November 2005

The San Carlo is well located, in the midst of the premier shopping area of the city - very atmospheric little streets with pavement cafes etc. St Peters, the Pantheon, Spanish Steps, all within walking distance, but the rest a taxi-ride.
Our room was good, if a little spartan - I'd asked for a triple, and got a 2 room suite, which was great. The staff were helpful and friendly, but the biggest drawback in the hotel comes at breakfast time. Some 50 or more guests try to eat in a tiny space with only nine small tables. People are forced to hop around waiting for someone to finish up, which is displeasing to everyone. Actually, it is probably better to give up because the breakfast itself is poor - all sweet, even the croissants.
Outside, another drawback: It is almost impossible to get a taxi to negotiate the one-way system to find the hotel. You are invariably dropped near the Spanish Steps and have to carry your luggage about 3 blocks. Similarly, when ordering a taxi it arrives with the meter already sprinting, so the smallest ride costs a fortune. Nevertheless, the San Carlo is good value for money, well-positioned, and I might well choose it again.

1  Thank ddarlow

Reviewed 11 November 2005

My wife and I stayed at the Hotel in San Carlo Rome for 2 nights on our honeymoon and the hotel was very nice and our room large with a very large bathroom for Italian standards. The staff was very pleasant and helpful. The location was great with being maybe 50 yards from the Spanish Steps and a good walk to all of the sights and shopping (for my wife).
Breakfast was normal, nothing spectacular, but enough to get you started for your day. I would not recommend having a rental car as we did, as the hotel is in an area very difficult to get to by car. You actually have to park at a garage and get a taxi to the hotel if you have alot of luggage. Also, alot of steps to get to the room, we are young so it did not bother us, but just a caution to those who may not be able to climb stairs. Overall, I would recommend and definitely stay there again!!!!

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 8 November 2005

We just spent a week in Rome and stayed at the San Carlo which turned out to be a very good decision.
The location is great and you can walk to just about anywhere you want to go in Rome - Shopping - Vatican - "Old Rome", etc. and plenty of shops and restaurants in the surrounding 2-3 blocks.
We arrived on our connecting flight from Paris and took the train from the Airport into the Rome central RR station and then took a short subway ride to the Spanish Steps stop. We oriented ourselves after coming up from the subway to locate the correct street and a five minute walk brought us to the San Carlo.
We had room 32 and although we had resrved a double for just the two of us, our suite also had a small side bedroom in addition to the main bedroom which was big enough and very nice. We used the side bedroom to spread out our suitcases and store purchases which kept the clutter out of our bedroom. We had a refrigerator stocked with bottled water and a bath that was large by US standards. All the rooms were clean and maintained daily to high standards.
The staff was very friendly and helpful and the breakfasts were very adequate with juice, coffee, cereal and milk, yogert, rolls and pastries.
The price of 186 Euros was very reasonable (for Rome) and we probably saved $200 a night from what we would have had to pay a block away. Noise was never a problem.
The only downside (for some) was going up and down three flights of stairs (about 68 steps if I remember correctly) four to six times a day. But we're is decent shape for a couple in their 60's so we just considered it good exercise in addition to the 4-5 miles we walked ever day.
While in the States, we had made reservations with the Gray Line tours. The tours they have with meals included were a disappointment and overall they are just adequate. We found another tour group at the end of our stay that we really enjoyed named "RomeAround" or "RomAround" which have native English speaking guides (our guide was from Canada) and who know as much or more than the native guides.
I would have no hesitancy in staying at the San Carlo again, if I am in shape to still handle the stairs!

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 31 October 2005

The San Carlo is on a quiet pedestrian street near the fashionable shopping, fine restaurants and tourist buzz of the Piazza Espana. And it fits right in with the posh storefronts in the neighborhood. I wish staying there had been easier. When we arrived in the late afternoon, the desk clerk reported that our room wasn't ready because of a delay regarding the room's previous occupants. The story was a bit convoluted -- they'd checked out but had left their bags and were overdue to pick them up, thereby delaying cleaning of the rooms.

He said we could either come back in an hour, when the room would likely be ready, or he would offer us a discount to stay at a charming apartment a few blocks away. Another guest had done the same a few nights earlier and loved it.

My wife and I probably should have chosen Option 1, but we were tired from traveling so we chose option 2, which turned out to be more like 5 blocks away. It was a very simple, slightly drably lit apartment on a considerably less charming street. Bathroom was acceptable, but overall, the place was not a bargain, even at the slight discount off the reasonably priced San Carlo. We came to expect that the sales job for this change indicated that the San Carlo was overbooked for the night and seeking a guest who wouldn't throw a fit over accepting alternative lodgings.

My recommendation: check back and confirm that the San Carlo will indeed have a room for you. It'll probably be a nice stay.

Stayed: October 2005
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 21 October 2005

We stayed at the San Carlo for four nights, October 10 - 14, in room 49 on the 5th floor. It had the most wonderful, large terrace - I felt like I was living in Rome. This is a triple room (for which we paid the double price). We were given this room because we had requested a room with a balcony and this was the only one left. The room was nice sized, clean and had a modern bathroom. The location could not be better - you can walk everywhere. The Spanish steps, via Condotti and numerous restaurants are a few minutes' walk away. The staff is friendly and helpful. The climb up five flights of steps can be difficult after a day of walking and sight seeing, but I look at it as more calories burned so I can eat more delicious Italian food!! The breakfast, which is a typical Continental breakfast, is fresh and tasty. I have been told an elevator will be installed in the main hotel by early 2006. There is already one in the annex - where I stayed (and enjoyed) previously. It was also mentioned that with the new elevator there will be an increase in prices. This is the second time I have stayed here. I have recommended the San Carlo to other people who have booked rooms and will be staying here myself in the future.

6  Thank luvroma2