“Good Location but uncomfortable room” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Nuovo Hotel Quattro Fontane

Nuovo Hotel Quattro Fontane
Ranked #749 of 1,291 Hotels in Rome
Miami Beach, Florida
“Good Location but uncomfortable room”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2011

Hotel Quattro Fontane is located down the street from Piazza de Spagna which makes for easy access to the city. HOWEVER, extremely poor A/C in the rooms in the middle of August makes for an uncomfortable night's sleep. Luckily, my friends and I arrived in Rome 1 night prior to our cruise departing from Civitavecchia so I was extremely relieved that I was only staying one night in this hotel, otherwise, l would have moved to a different hotel. The rooms are not very comfortable either.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sandra D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
Ayr, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2011

Good location that's about it i gave a 2 rating for that . No soundproof between rooms could not sleep from hearing everything from the other rooms . Not that friendly staff i arrived at night and their english was bad , breakfast ok as i don't eat much in the morning and if you go late nothing left and they don't offer you anything . I think over priced for what you get .

Room Tip: Get a room at the back of the hotel away from the road .
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank cats68

Travellers are raving about these Rome hotels

San Diego, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2011

Normally I wouldn't expect the greatest service in Italy, and certainly not in central Rome - you are, after all, paying for location. However, in this case the service negatively impacted my stay and left me with a sour taste.

The location is quite good...not great - there still is a short walk to almost any good sight seeing or hang out location, but quite good considering the price.

The room was as expected - very small, bare-bones, and a bit dingy. Again, expected.

The service however was sooooo awful. This only became an issue because my reservation was messed up. I had prepaid for a triple through another service but they had me down for a double. They made no attempt to help me resolve this saying I would need to get a refund from the company I paid to (Agoda). They wouldn't give me a receipt for anything (including the tax they asked me for before leaving), wouldn't call Agoda, wouldn't call a manager. I understand I paid a different company but they have authorized that company to take reservations on their bahalf....it is THEIR relationship and they should have made a twinge of an effort to help me resolve. I spent way too much time trying to get ANYTHING showing I had stayed in a double not a triple so I would have something to go back to Agoda with. If the Hotel wasn't going to help me at LEAST give me info to help myself.

Additionally, my friend and I asked for a regular taxi to the airport in the morn (specifically said no need for the limo service). However, they had arranged the limo and we were on a time crunch to get to the airport and were stuck with the 50EUR bill.

Had I more time and/or energy I should have demanded more and paid less but I was in Rome only one day and didn't want to spend more time in their lobby than I already had.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank CharlotteTravels
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2011

Well, it was ok. Breakfast was reasonable. Location is good. But I asked for the junior suite and I got, what would be in any other hotel in the world, a standard double room. Sure we had a balcony but not worth the rate. The pictures on their site for the junior suite are very misleading. I am coming back in 2 weeks and won't be staying here. Had to pay for wi-fi too which isn't great.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Faithe13
Quezon City, Philippines
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2011

The hotel was a block up Piazza Bernini. When the bus driver had pulled over to drop our group off, there were no bellhops to attend to the luggage, so I had to carry up our bags from the street up about half a flight of stairs to the lobby.

It was overbooked, so they merged our one Double and one Triple-sharing rooms into the Junior Suite on the fifth floor. The elevator was cramped, and could accommodate only three bags and one person. BUT THE VIEW OF THE VATICAN WAS SPLENDID!

My sister got a Triple-sharing room, which was actually a loft type unit a bed at the loft, and a fold-out sofa bed on the main floor. The stairs that connected the loft were pretty steep. so if you have poor eyesight or have poor leg-muscle control, request for a standard double-sharing room instead. All-in-all, the rooms were of a decent size.

We hope they used electronic key cards, but instead use old fashioned keys attached to heavy weights. We ended up leaving the keys at the front desk every time we would venture out into the city. Because of this security issue, we left our luggage locked in the rooms, instead of using the safe.

The air conditioning also didn't stay on the whole night. It was fortunate that the evening was quite cold, so I opened our room windows. UNFORTUNATELY, the birds outside kept making a quacking noise that sounded like people talking loudly. I asked the front desk receptionist about the air conditioning unit the following morning and he said this was a common practice among hotels. I also inquired about this at the Hotel Anglo Americano right across the street, and they said THEY LEFT THEIR AIR AIR CONDITIONING ON 24-HOURS A DAY! But that most old hotels turned off their units at night. I didn't ask why they did this, so maybe anyone reading this review can just comment on this fact later on.

The LOCATION was good, as the METRO STATION was a block down the street, as were 24-hour cafes/trattorias (the GELATOs in ROME are TO DIE FOR!!!). There is also a convenience store next door, so you can save an extra Euro on the cans of Coke, instead of drinking the ones inside the room refrigerator.

If shopping is your thing, then you can easily walk 10 minutes to the Via del Corso (although walking the whole strip of Via del Corso will probably take you about 30 minutes from the Piazza Venezia all the way to the Piazza del Popolo). The Fontana de Trevi were also a 10-min walk away. The Colosseo was about 30 mins away on foot..

For first time visitors to Rome, the METRO subway system has an optional 24-hour valid ticket for 4.00 Euros. This saved us a lot of money. A WARNING: THE SUBWAY IN ROME HAS A LOT OF PICKPOCKETS! The train car was quite cramped when we went in. My sister caught some girl with her hand inside her purse, and a fight/shouting match ensued. The pickpockets were working as a team, with the 20+ year old girl picking my sister's purse, whilst another 10 year old girl was working on my mother-in-law's purse. They do not look like vagabonds, but are actually quite decent looking. You cannot hit/physically hurt them, as this would get you in trouble with the local police.

What else dd I miss? The tap water is potable. The gelatos were the best. The Italians are a gorgeous people. Rome has so much history in it, and I would definitely come back again in a few years.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family