“Good”
Review of Hotel Dei Consoli

Hotel Dei Consoli
Ranked #495 of 1,273 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 24 May 2017

Really that it is not worthy of 4 stars. At best 2/3. It should be little to invest in Hotel - lobby, reception, etc. It begins to look as miserable. Hotel small, over three floors, each floor of the 10 rooms. Staff unobtrusive, short, specific sociable. Room reasonable size, shower with jacuzzi. Not worth paying more for a room with a jacuzzi. Teleizija shows about 150 channels, but almost all of them are only in Italian. Breakfast is served on the roof terrace, not bad. The most breakfast was sufficient, but if you plan to stay longer than a few days, this is not a great choice and everything through the same. Terrace not impressed.

Room Tip: Good enough
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Hotel-dei-Consoli, General Manager at Hotel Dei Consoli, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Dear Lorena,
I am sorry you were not fully satisfied with your stay at Hotel dei Consoli.
Thank you for your comments, I will consider you proposals.
Luigi pirrò

Reviewed 17 May 2017 via mobile

The hotel staff are very friendly very helpful and are a credit to hospitality at the reception, cleaning staff and on the roof terrace at breakfast. The room was clean although the decoration at one time grand seems dated. I think the style of carpet does not lend it self to the look. The wallpaper in places has shrunk leaving gaps. The shower screen extended two thirds of the way which flooded the small bathroom each time it was used. The major thing for me was that road noise in room 106 with the windows open is very loud. Street life, car alarms and the high frequency of emergency sirens ensure windows can't be left open. With the windows closed the sound is much diminished but the room quickly becomes stuffy, hot and airless. The temperatures were between 25 to 27 degrees, the air conditioning was not switched on throughout the building however this would seem to be the usual practice throughout Roma at this time of year. Despite this I enjoyed staying at the hotel. I liked it. The staff make this place, the location is fantastic for visiting the Vatican City. I think with tea making facilities and the choice of whether you can pay for the off peak air conditioning would make this hotel ideal

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear James,
thank you for your review and, overall, for recommending Hotel dei Consoli to other travelers.
I am happy you enjoyed your stay with us and I really appreciate your proposals and notes for possible improvements.
I do look forward to having you again with us in the future.
Luigi pirrò

Reviewed 6 May 2017 via mobile

Hotel is okay. Room clean with shower but no bath. Although we prefer to shower we enjoy the option on holiday to bath as a pamper. And expected it in a 4 star hotel at the rate we paid.
Bed and pillows are way too firm but we were given softer pillows on request.
Reception is tiny with no lobby to sit and relax or wait so you are confined to your room or the 4th floor bar from 5pm only. Trust me you'd want to be at any 'bar' in Rome but this one.

This 4th floor is also where you have breakfast, described alluringly as the rooftop breakfast area with pretty pictures. In reality it's lacking in atmosphere and not open for the outside seating when we are here in May.
Worst of all however and why I give this hotel a 3 star award but 2 star for food is the breakfast. It's very poor. Nothing cooked to order. Scrambled or hard booked eggs the only egg options which would be okay except they're cold or tepid. We were told that this is because they had been out since 630 (breakfast starts at 7) and we didn't appear until 8am. The waiter was apologetic and friendly but unable to assist as the 2 small tea lights weren't sufficient to keep the food hot.
The rest was an uninspiring collection of continental items. Had we known this I would have booked a luxury air Bnb for less money and cooked our own hot breakfast. But for a 3 day stay really wanted to be spoiled and lazy on holiday. I don't need cooking practice. The coffee was truly atrocious.

You've probably gathered we love our food.
Location is fine at one edge of the city and the nearby metro took us easily to the other side of Rome (Colliseum) with a bus back.
Service is fine. Efficient with varying degrees of friendliness.
I would never book this hotel again at the rate we paid on booking.com £550 for 3 nights because it's not worth that and is at best an average 3 star in my view. If the rate was half this and you don't mind a very poor breakfast then maybe.
I am so disappointed with the false description and will be taking this up with Booking.com who have not let me down before.

My only caveat to this review is that this is our first trip to Rome so we have no hotel comparison to make. Maybe 4 star in Rome compares to 2/3 elsewhere. Our expectation of 4 star relates to our experience in the USA, The Far East, the UK and Oz. I guess we've been almost as disappointed in Paris and some parts of Spain too so maybe I need to adjust my expectations of most of Europe!

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ericagee1

Dear Eric,
I have read with great attention your review and I am sorry you were not fully satisfied with your stay with us. We generally succeed while doing our best in order our clients to have a great stay and great memories of their stay in Rome at our hotel.
Please accept my apologies for possible lack of service and little but disappointing aspects, such as having cold/tepid eggs at breakfast and also for the coffee. I am working on these points since reading your review.
Hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 30 April 2017

I stayed at the Hotel Dei Consoli for two nights and had a very comfortable, clean room on the front of the hotel (facing Via Varrone and close to the major cross street, Via Cola di Rienzo) a few floors up from the street. I was very pleased with the room itself; beautiful, comfortable, the bed and pillows clean and comfy, the bathroom clean and nice. The garden terrace on the 4th floor, where breakfast is served in the morning, was wonderful.

Rome was somewhat warm during my stay (highs of about 70), so I didn't sleep well during my first night in the hotel because my room was warm (I didn't want to open the window due to street noise, which can be loud because of the traffic on Via Cola di Rienzo), but I caved in and opened the window the next night because I wanted to cool down my room. Unfortunately, I was awakened twice during the night (despite wearing ear plugs and using a sound machine) by firecrackers the first time and by a car alarm the second time.

So, while I highly recommend this hotel based on its nice rooms, I am not sure I'd stay there again because of the risk of street noise due to its location.

If you can handle street noise and/or are a heavy sleeper, you will probably like this hotel immensely. Great location near the Vatican, easy walk to a Metro station, and the breakfast buffet is very good (and, again, in a beautiful place on the garden terrace).

Room Tip: Beware of possible street noise, depending on where your room is located.
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled solo
Hotel-dei-Consoli, General Manager at Hotel Dei Consoli, responded to this reviewResponded 5 days ago

Dear Customer,
I am very pleased that he enjoyed his stay at our facility, but at the same time I sincerely regret that he had trouble sleeping due to road noise (firecrackers and car alarm), having to open the window for too hot. I appreciate the honest and kind way you alerted people for possible noice issue if noice sensitive.
Best regards,

Reviewed 27 April 2017

This a Great little hotel. 4 star and a 2 minute walk from the Vatican. Surprisingly larger than you would imagine, clean, helpful staff, and a Great breakfast!!! Great value for money!!!!

We were very pleased!!

Room Tip: Our view was of the street.
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gilda442u2017

Dear Gilda,
thank you so much for your genuine review.
I am so satisfied you had a great stay with us; it is a pleasure to receive recognition for our effords to make our clients' stay enjoyable.
I do look forward to having you again with us in the future.
With the kindest regards,