See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 8 April 2013

What is advertised as higher rated hotel in a quiet neighborhood is anything but that.
If this hotel didn't cater to the tour groups, I doubt it would stay open the way it is managed.
On our 1st day, the TVs in the entire hotel did not work. Since the thermostats couldn't be operated from within the room, we had to open our windows. Well, for both nights there was music playing, guys talking loudly, glass breaking. We're wondering if there is a recycling operation going on nearby. We were kept up with noise until about 2:30a.m. both nights.
Then we had the pleasure of a drunk knocking on our door at 1:30a.m. A call down to the desk didn't bring anyone up.
The hotel is not located in any convenient area of historical Rome. You need to take a taxi everywhere or try to learn the many bus routes that are available.
Breakfast was the worst on our entire trip of Italy. The earlier departing Japanese group consumed the majority of food by the time our group came down for breakfast. No eggs or meat for us. The hotel only had one person administering to the breakfast room. The coffee machine broke & no one was able to get coffee. The poor young man tried to fix it but was not succesful. And the front desk did nothing to help this poor guy or it's customers until a 1/2 hr later when they sent a porter down. What a mess.
And, I guess the hotel didn't want to tell the guests that a fire had occurred on one of the floors.
The floor was pretty well blocked off.
The tour groups must get a great deal to stay here. It's too bad they penalize their customers with places like this.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 October 2012

By any means this hotel is not close to the Ancient Rome ruins. It's a long walk into the historic district and about a 15 minute taxi ride (costs about 12 to 20 euros).
My wife and I were part of a Perillo tour so we didn't pick this hotel. So our disgust is with Perillo's Italyvacations not the Borromini.
The Hotel Borromini doesn't show it's age in the lobby. It's in the slow elevators and in the rooms. But really it's not bad. The bed was comfortable the room was cleaned daily. ITs a no frills hotel. The area the hotel is located does not have much around. No nightlife and the streets are pretty deserted after 8pm. The saving grace was a little restaurant called the Taverna Rossini which I reviewed on T.A. also. Great little restaurant for dinner but get there before 9pm. It usually gets crowded. We ate there almost every night we stayed local.
About the Hotel staff...at the front desk Paulo and Eliza were super helpful. One helped us with a tour of the Coliseum that was terrific and the other helped track down our Perillo tour drive when he didn't show up to take us to the Papal visit. These two people were outstanding with other little things and so very nice. This is what makes the stay worthwhile.
Back to the rooms...we had a safe and a mini fridge and there was an electric shield that comes down over the window. Absolutely no light got in the room when it was down.
They try to do an American breakfast (complimentary) which is okay and the dinner wasn't bad either.
All in all the hotel is nice but it's outside the historic district where its quiet and not touristy.

Room Tip: pay extra for the superior double room.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 October 2012

We stayed a couple of nights in this hotel, using a gift coupon we received last Christmas. Although the staff was really nice, I am afraid we have been disappointed by the hotel, because our expectations were definitely higher. The neighborhood is quiet, not very central (very close to Villa Ada) and it does not have a direct public transport to the railway station. The furniture was old and somewhere a little bit worn out. There was no free wifi connection, which sounds almost unbelievable in 2012! The morning breakfast was fine, but aboslutely not remarkable (the wafers, for example, surely dated back to the past century...but instead the croissants were tasty). In conclusion, I really do not understand why it is still a four star hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 July 2012

The hotel was lovely was great facilities, a bit far from the centre of Rome, but this was perfect for me as was close to my office. The rooms are small but have all facilities required. Food from the bar was fantastic, really great staff who were very friendly.

Room Tip: As this is a small hotel all rooms appear to be the same.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 June 2012

We also booked this hotel as a 'secret room'. Won it at $92/night.

Positives: Comfortable mattress, in-room fridge, cable with english options, nice bathroom, quiet area. Kind staff. I left my sunglasses in the lobby and they had set it aside for me.

Negatives: Internet did not work our entire stay. Very bothersome for tourists trying to plan the next day. They offered us the use of their computers which had a separate internet provider (why I wonder??). This wasn't too helpful as I am not proficient in Italian keyboards. Couldn't even use the @ button. As compensation, we requested breakfast for our last morning which they agreed to after one last effort to reboot the internet.

Breakfast was poor. It would've cost 12EU. I feel sorry for those that paid 12EU. They ran out of eggs by 8:30 am (there is a small store nearby but that didn't occur to them). Very little bacon. They cook about 15 slices at a time so it goes fast. Cereal was stale.

A bit far from center but Tram 19 gets you to Vatican, Tram 3 gets you to Colosseum and bus 360 gets you to Termini the main station. 7 minute walk to biggest park in Rome and from there you could walk the 20 minutes to Spanish Steps, etc.

Area recommendations: Stay away from Bar Hungaria restaurant. They will rip you off if they get the chance. We ordered 1 large beer and they brought out 2 small glasses and asked if that was okay. Thinking it was just a matter of convenience for them, we said yes. Then they charged for 2 small ones instead of 1 large (2 EU more) and called the police when we refused to pay it.

Little bar/coffee shop about 2 minute walk. I can't remember the name but good food and excellent staff. 3EU for procuitto sammy and 1.80EU for cappucino.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple