“Highway robbery”
Review of Hotel Villafranca

Hotel Villafranca
Ranked #500 of 1,270 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 12 June 2012

I booked our room for our family via BW website reservations. I looked up reviews and checked out pictures. I wasn't lookin for a 5 star hotel but a decent, safe, clean and friendly enough place to stay for a family of four. I was sold when I read the reviews especially the early web booking specials and accommodation for a family of 4 w/ I getting another room. Sadly, I was to be disappointed and made to feel stupid. They said room size don't matter. It's the number of people. So, they can place me in a room for 4 but still just charge me single rate but if I walk in and had a booking for a family size room and there's four of us , they'll have to charge extra . Even if my reservations and booking that was prepaid said otherwise. In short, they got my money already with kids in tow and nowhere to go, I had to agree to pay for the kids extra ( even if states that kids 12 and under stays ) and my husband too:-( they didn't even offer any compromise even if I showed them print out of reservation. The man was so rude and even yanked the paper off my hand because he couldn't spell last name. My husband said to still play nice so we dont get an ugly room but unfortunately we still did! At least they had good water pressure. The bidet is right across from the toilet with about 6-8 inches in between, so good luck when using the potty. Beds were hard with a pillow thin as a paper. Yup, during checkout, they were all upfront waiting for us to bring our euros or credit cards out to pay for the 3 extra persons in our family room of 4 that was stated and paid in advance. So that's. Why it felt like highway robbery for being charged extra for a lousy place at a premium rate.
One good thing, about the place is its close to Termini station and lots of restaurants around. there's 2 more Bestwestern hotels close by termini- hotel canada and BW Premier right across the Termini that looks more promising than this place.

• Stayed: May 2012
4  Thank Iteach3s

Reviewed 11 June 2012

Very close to underground station. Just one stop to Termini. No good view. Lots of homeless men sleep in the street. Insufficient breakfast. Left the hotel in the morning and find the door wide open in the evening. Nothing was lost fortunately.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank saay
Reviewed 8 June 2012

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights at the end of May prior going on our Med Cruise. The hotel is situated in a quiet street less than 10 minutes walk from Rome's Termini Station and only a couple of minutes walk from the nearest underground station (Castro Pretorio). There are a number of restaurants in the immediate vicinity which serve good quality cheap food and drink. There is also a supermarket nearby on the main road, a couple of minutes walk from the hotel, if you want to buy drinks.

The hotel staff were friendly and helpful. Our room was on the 5th floor at the back of the hotel, there was no view, but it was quiet, which is important to us. The room itself was basic, clean and functional. It had good air conditioning (essential), plenty of storage, a safe (free) and a mini fridge. The bed was not the most comfortable, but after a busy day visiting the sights of Rome sleeping was not a problem! The bathroom was a decent size with a powerful shower, but no bath, which suited us. Breakfast was Continental buffet style and was more than adequate.

If you are looking for a reasonably priced decent hotel, close to the Termini/Metro, with plenty of nearby restaurants, you could do a lot worse than pick Hotel Villafranca.

Top tips: If you want to visit the Vatican Museums/Sistine Chapel, book on-line to avoid the massive queues and go early. Buy a 'Roma Pass' on-line and use the Metro to get around

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel are quiet.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank David S
Reviewed 4 June 2012

Reception staff very friendly and helpful, all staff polite and pleasant
Hotel location good, room decent but a little tired, plenty of small restaurants in the area mamma Angela's is highly recommended. If you like the historical sites take good walking shoes, be pre paired to put some walking miles in, we spent 5 hours in and around the Vatican plus the museum. The collosseo and forum are within 20 minutes walking distance of the hotel. A city I would definitely like to visit again.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dmor105064
Reviewed 31 May 2012

The lobby was nice but that was it. The bed was small.Room was smaller. Internet was none exsistent. Dont think most people could get into the shower. The ceiling was false so you could here everything that you did not want to here from the guess next door

Room Tip: Dont stay here
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple